Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 8
Alextzi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2009 15:17 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I know there has been some powerdirector 8 beta testing going on since feb-march....
does anyone know when pd8 will be released?

CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Alex,

It is scheduled to be released by the end of July, barring any unforeseen delays.

I'll keep you updated if I hear anything different.

Regards,
David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2009 01:50

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
So does this mean the Cyberlink will not be fixing the AVCHD rendering issues with PD7?

Since PD7 is only about one year old, I hope that Cyberlink continues to issue patches. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

This is the first I have heard of this issue. Can you point me to other posts about it or give me some details and I will find out what I can.

Regards

David
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David -

I don't think you'll need to look very hard! Just check the floor... wherever you see tufts of hair around an office chair, there's a good chance you'll find a PD user trying to edit AVCHD.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
David,

Here's the classic forum post on this issue. There are over 60 responses.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5480.page

Here's another more recent one.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7237.page

The biggest problems are the lack of SVRT support for AVCHD (I use a cannon HG20) and the bit rate limit of the PD encoder (14.8 Mb/s). My camera records at 1920 x 1080i at 24 Mb/s (highest quality). The next highest setting is 17 Mb/s with the same resolution. Below that the resolution goes down.

Currently, I have to render to MPEG2 BD at 25 Mb/s to achieve comparable quality, but the file size is 7x larger than the original.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 08. 2009 12:26

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks James,

I have the head RD for PDR investigating this now, and this information is valuable. I will let you know what I hear back from him.

From what I heard, they are aware of it...but I will get the full details and let you know.

Regards,
David
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you David, for passing on the word and getting RD onto it.

Cheers -

Tony
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony, James and all,

I now have the information you are looking for. FYI, the AVCHD problem was reported (well recorded at least) on May 15th of this year.

As I understand, there will be improvements to the AVCHD quality in version 8, but an improved version will come out later in the year. Here is the info from RD:

"For AVCHD quality issue, PDR8 has improved some what. But, it’s still not satisfying.

CT team has a plan to improve the quality. The plan is shooting for end of 2009.

For Canon HG20, the bitrate limitation is actually from AVCHD spec.

PDR7/8 currently supports AVCHD on DVD disc. Bitrate can’t exceed 18Mbps (yes, 17Mbps is to reserve some headroom for encoder rate control error tolerance).

We have planned PDR8 2nd GM to support output AVCHD on non-DVD disc.

This feature will allow bitrate upto 24Mbps."

I was informed the scheduled released of the above mentioned "2nd GM" is in late September or October.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I will ask if the improvements will be added in a PDR 7 patch update as well.

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2009 21:17

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
CLD
Have Cyberlink RD considered the improvements suggested by the members in the thread "Power director improvement survey". If yes ,what is the significant change that has been added

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2009 03:18

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Babdi,

You will just have to wait until the official release date to find out all the improvements, which are considerable.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Babdi,
There are lots of new, interesting and powerful features. I am sure they did not implement all the requests.

They didn't implement all of mine either.

Regards,
David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2009 04:56

arise [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2009 15:24 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Cld, many thanks for the heads-up on PD8!
I have however some doubts about the SVRT feature.

17mbps as well as 24mbps (topmost limit of AVCHD standard) are currently not usable with PD7 and SVRT. For some reason, everything is encoded @ 14.8 mbps, meaning SVRT won't work at all. I own also a HG20 and wasn't able to use SVRT with any bitrate (even 5mbps).

Question is: should i start saving for PD8 knowing that a functional SVRT/CUDA rendering path exists for 17mbps? I can live with the GM October update which supports 24mbps...

What we expect from PD8 is to be able to smart render AVCHD using CUDA/GPGPU. In other words: output exact input bitrate when no modifications are detected, while smart rendering transitioned/edited parts/joint clips/effects/text.

Thanks in advance!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Yes - thanks again David for the information. That's good news... and Robert sounds "considerably" positive about PD8, despite the delay in resolving AVCHD rendering issues.

arise - even though I've recently been where no man has been before... http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/568/ccam-the-sequel/ ... I'll have what you're having!

Cheers -

Tony
arise [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2009 15:24 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
even though i'm not quite sure what's up with that flick, i hope your signature won't be representative for PD8

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history (G.B. Shaw)"
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hear! Hear! Maybe I should get rid of it, so I don't encourage and repetition of the same issues.

Cheers -

Tony