Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help! "DV Sony DV was removed"
KJ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2009 21:13 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased PD7ultra. The software detected my DV camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV22) but after a few seconds of choppy recording it quit, asked for a name for the file, and then a small pop up said "DV Sony DV was removed."

I'm already regretting purchasing the software and I don't want to. I just want to make great home movies.

Any ideas of what I should do to fix this problem?
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi KJ,

How does your Sony V cam connect to your PC? USB or with an IEEE cable?

Sounds like an issue with your connection, not with PDR

Let us know,
Regards
David
KJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've connected with an IEEE cable. Should I get a USB cable instead?
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

If your camera uses an IEEE cable, then it probably won't work with a USB cable.

My suggested would be to ensure that the DV camcorder is securely connected and that the DV camcorder's battery is completely charged, and then try capturing it again with PDR 7.

Have you had success capturing video with other programs before?

David
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
There are reports scattered on this forum of Firewire connection failures where the camera's female connection for the cable has become damaged.

Please ensure you have placed the connectors in securely, the camera is ON before you activate PD.

My guess is you've got a problem with your cable port connections and the error message was triggered by the break in the link between PC and camera.

Dafydd
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
KJ,

Read through the following thread.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4678.page#18079

As Dafydd stated firewire cables can cause problems with the electronics on the camera. Hopefully this is not your problem, but you should be aware of it.

Good luck Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
KJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your quick responses to my plea for help. I have captured video with Pinnacle before. I'll try your suggestions and let you know what happens.
KJ
KJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still won't work for me. I've updated the software, usb driver from SONY, tried a new IEEE cable, uninstalled and reinstalled the software. When I access my camcorder from My Computer I am able to play the recording on my computer just fine. I'm going to return the software and try to find another program that will work for me. Hopefully it's not my camcorder. Thank you again for your help.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
KJ

Does your camera work with WMM to capture? If so, just do that to capture and then do your editing with PD. Might get you by until you resolve your PD capture issues.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 27. 2009 00:22

KJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I haven't been able to download WMM. When I go to the Microsoft site it says it's offered but then it isn't listed in the downloads.

I have been trying a few other programs. So far Adobe Premiere Elements 7 is able to capture the video but it's still dropping too many frames and then stops.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is capturing the video better but still dropping too many frames (38 frames in 28 sec) at an avg frame rate of 28.63fps and avg data rate of 3.28MB/Sec.

Pinnacle Studio 12 is capturing the video and is dropping 12-24 frames in 30 sec.

I uninstalled Powerdirector and reinstalled twice. I was finally able to get it to capture a minute and it only dropped about 30 frames. Then I tried it again and it froze after 27 seconds and had dropped 24 frames. Then it dropped 85 frames in 60 seconds. Then it dropped 168 frames in 24 seconds. I guess at least there's progress. Before it wasn't even capturing more than a couple seconds of video.

I need to try all of those programs again after turning off my internet and shutting down nonessential processes.

I used to use Pinnacle Studio 8 and didn't have any problems capturing video without frames being dropped or with very few frames being dropped in an hour of video. I'd still use that program but it recently quit working.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2009 00:53

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
KJ,
I see you have been experimenting and coming up with similar results.

As per James' suggestion, look for Windows Media Encoder it's part of my system set up and may be part of yours already.

Looks to me as though the problem lies with either your cable interface or PC issue and not with PD. The number of drop frames should NOT be happening and is a clear indication you have underlying PC issues that you need to resolve.

Suggestion:
Take your camera (and firewire cable) along to a friend's PC - make sure they have a firewire connection. Locate WME and capture the video as a test. If you succeed you'll know it's your PC. If it fails, it's the cable interface or your camera.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 30. 2009 02:45

-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Gents,

I'd also be concerned about possible impacts of having these multiple video editiing packages on the same PC.

(I'd also clean up the registry and defrag all drives but that's just regular maintenance. ) Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
KJ,

It's too bad your still having problems capturing video. I agree with Dafydd that you may want to to try a second computer just to see what happens.

Can you provide some detail on your current system? How old is it, what type of CPU, and when is the last time you did a complete system reformat? You said that Pinnacle 8 suddenly stopped working. Is this the reason why you purchased Pinnacle 12 and PD7 or did Pinnacle 8 stop working after Pinnacle 12 was installed? Programs which were working normally don't just stop working unless something happens to the operating system, the registry, or a programs file system. Have you changed operating systems recently?

You have a potentially complicated situation at hand. If you can find a second computer to test and their are no problems, then you may ultimately end up reformatting your current system if nothing else works. Hopefully it does not come down to that.

If you have the same type of problem on a second computer, then it could be the IEEE controller on the camera going bad. That could cause the connection problems.

Good luck

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2009 08:09

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
KJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I stopped using Pinnacle 8 because my computer had a virus recently and when I took it in the tech had to reformat my hard drive. When I reinstalled the software and finally located the update patches for the software it just froze and wouldn't work. Prior to all of this I didn't have any problems capturing video and doing video editing.

I didn't try other software until I first tried PD7 and couldn't get it to work with my camera. I finally got WMM but it wouldn't capture my video either. In fact it crashed my system.

My computer is old, probably 6 years. I have a 2.4GHz Pentium 4, 133MHz external bus, 1.28GB ram, 90% free memory resources, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. It was a different kind of ram that was dang expensive when I purchased some for my computer.

Of all my friends I think I have the newest old computer. I'll have to keep looking around to see if I know of anybody else that I can test my camera on. I've been afraid that I might have to reformat.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi KJ,

The fact that WMP is also unable to capture would indicate that the problem is with your OS, or Firewire port and not PD.

My desktop is also a 5 year old P4 with 128mb graphics card and 1.5Gb of ram and I have no problems capturing video or using PD, although I only use the desktop for testing purposes. I use my laptop for normal PD use.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
James W
[Post New]
I agree with Robert, you have now tried three separate programs on you computer and none of them have worked. It seems like the problem is with your video equipment or the computer. The age of the computer should not prevent you from capturing video (especially if you know its worked in the past).

It seems like there is a conflict somewhere which is preventing the capture. I still suggest finding a friend and using their computer to test. If it works then you know you may need to reformat your computer.

If you do reformat, I would only install PD (if you plan on using it) and try capturing. If you plan on using Pinnacle 8, then do not install the updates and try to capture. For your friends computer I suggest a similar path. Perhaps start with WMP since it probably is already installed. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2011 15:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a brand new laptop HP DV7 with a turion processor 6g memory 17" screen win 7 updated and a Sony mini dv GVd900 video walkman good firewire cable so basically everything good. This unit and cable captures and works fine on my desktop using pd9 ultra but I constantly get the same error on the above mentioned laptop. It will record or play video for an indeterminate period app 60-90 seconds and then the message. If i turn off the player and on it re initializes and works again briefly. Its hard to isolate the problem when the same software, vcr and cable works fine on the desktop.