Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Operation Failed" Error Message
[Post New]
The Problem
My PowerDirector7 (build 2519, patch 2726) was working fine. And now, I get the following message if I try to add a picture to the time line or storyboard. This happens if I hit the button to insert or if I drag the object.

[screen shots in attachment]

Events Leading Up to the Problem.
I was working on a project, that I had saved often. Roughly 180 slides, no transitions, effects, etc. I had a text up front describing the show and then the photos. All 3mb slides were being sourced from network storage over a gigabit network. I was making a simple slide show to put on a DVD. Then, when I was all done with my work, I was trying to 'Create Disk' ( I did not 'produce' ). There was some delay, then POWERDIRECTOR crashed - and my file was lost! Very aggravating… (which I don't understand, since I had saved it multiple times.)

Then when I restarted the program, I would be get the 'above' behavior whenever I tried to do the simplest thing - adding a SINGLE slide to the timeline - even from my local drive.

My Attempt to Recover
I assumed that if I reinstalled the product all would be well. But, no. I have reinstalled the product and patch, but I still get the same result. Obviously, there must be some other file that is causing the trouble.

Please help.

==========================================
an update from cyberlink support

In response to your concern we want to inform you that we recommend and support all the CyberLink softwares in the Administrator account.

As user accounts does not have necessary privilages to run the software.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, isn't that great. Cyberlink has decided to ignore Microsoft's entire security model. This doesn't explain why the product was working fine in my user account until it didn't... The support at this company is the worst I've ever seen.

So, to the community... Is anyone running PowerDirector7 or 7 Ultra in a non-systems administrator account?

Thanks.
 Filename
My PowerDirector7 - Op Failed.doc
[Disk]
 Description
Complete description plus screen shots. Word doc.
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
344 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2009 20:46

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Peter -

Firstly, have a read of this...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7038.page

All may not be lost - if you can find xxxx.pds.bak file which might have your project. If there is one (bak file), open PD7 - director's chair > open project > locate xxxx.pds.bak file.

I don't know what is causing your particular error, but to COMPLETELY uninstall, you need to use Windows Install Clean Up - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) - then reinstall it.

Another freeware alternative is Revo Uninstaller (which, apparently, doesn't work with Vista)...
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Both these will remove unnecessary registry files, which the regular windows uninsaller won't.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!