Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD7 + PP latest version - on laptop - how much Ghz required
martinexena [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 03, 2007 07:12 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
I`m attending to buy a Sony Vario notebook with 2.26GHZ processor.

I will have 4GB memory and Vista SP1. Intel Core Duo Processor

Now I wonder if this is powerfull enough for the latest version of power director and power producer.

Thanks for advising me.

Kind regards
Martine Let's keep New Zealand clean!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
This all depends on what kind of video editing you intend on doing and how much hard drive space you will have available. If you plan on doing only standard definition then this setup will work provided you have enough disk space. You may want to consider an external hard disk (at least 250-500 GB) to store your produced videos.

If you plan on doing any high definition editing then you probably will not be happy with this setup. I have a 2GHZ Core2Duo with 4 GB of RAM laptop and that can play AVCHD files in the preview window of PD, but my CPU usage is near 100%. That does not include incorporating any transitions, color corrections, titles, and other effects. Rendering such files takes forever. In comparison my quad core Q9300 plays everything smoothly with a CPU usage at about 25%. Rendering a AVCHD file recorded at 24 Mb/s to blueray format took about 2 minutes to render for every 1 minute of raw video. In this case I was only applying a white balance correction and nothing else. During this rendering my file size would increase from 1.9 GBs for an 11 minute file to ~12 GB after converting to blueray format (HD MPEG2).

I would spend sometime reading through this forum for more information. Try the search feature to the top to see what you can find.

Good luck

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 15. 2009 09:00

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
martinexena [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

I will keep it to my desktop then. I have a Pentium D, dual core, 4GB memory and 3.0 GHZ and enough diskspace.

Think that is the best way as my laptop will not be that strong.

Many thanks for your info.

Martine
Let's keep New Zealand clean!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Your 2 GHz laptop may have a faster processor than your 3GHz Pentium D. If you plan on high definition than your Pentium D will not cut it. For standard definition you will be fine. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
martinexena [Avatar]
[Post New]
James,

What do you mean by : Will not cut it?

James W
[Post New]
I suspect that your Pentium D will not be suitable for AVCHD (a form of HD). Your 2GHz laptop is based on newer technology which may be faster than the 3GHz Pentium D. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
martinexena [Avatar]
[Post New]
James,

I see.

I will ask the dealer to check that for me aswell.

Many thanks for your help. I appreciated it a lot.

Have a nice day further and lots of succes and fun with your vids.