Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video-files turned into un-editable things after upgrading to PowerDirector v7
[Post New]
Hello all,

I recently updated my Powerdirector from v6 to v7.
After that, when my project loads, EVERY video file is turned into "nothing" or simple black colorboards it seems. I can't edit them, only set the duration. And the properties says nothing about the files, only 0:00.

I can see all my files in the navigator, but none of them is checked with the green V-sign. How is this possible?!?!
It was a very long movie with a lot of trimmed files, so when I have to recover the movie part by part it will take me ages. And what to think of synchronising the music etc. when I place and remove files, its a horror!

PLEASE!! Where does this weird bug come from and how will my Powerdirector place the files back again in the timeline where they should be?!

Thnx in advance!
H. Kok

Some extra info:
PD version: v7.0.2726
File format: MOD-files (worked fine all the time untill the upgrade)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2009 15:22

Massive.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi H.Kok,

Firstly I suspect Dafydd (our moderator) will ask you to alter your profile to have a more meaningful name.

However,
The symptom you describe usually occurs because the locations of the original project assets - video, stills, music etc have been altered.

Typically this is because they have been moved or renamed, often as part of normal 'housekeeping'.

PD hard references the assets location in the .pds file, so if they are moved or deleted it cannot find them and replaces them with black spaces - so to speak.

Why this should have happened, if indeed this is the case, when you upgraded I don't know.

Without knowing the exact cause/set of events its difficult to advise.

Unless you can tie it down more exactly, I can only suggest that you reinstall PD6, see if your project loads, pack your project to make it 'portable or self-contained' and then re install PD7 and use the packed project to work on.

This post might explain more :-
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6504.page

It might not be this, so others might have more suggestions.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2009 15:22

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Hello Adrian,

Thanx for your help so far.
Well, i've updated my first post with some extra info.

Actually, the reason that I upgraded to v7 is that suddenly, after years of editing, my big project didn't load anymore. Everytime the project loads, the program crashed.

So I updated to v7, but the file still didn't load and the program still crashed. BUT...when I updated to the lates build, the file opened finally! Well...a little bit as you've read the problems it gave since then.

So..that's the situation i'm in know. I can try to install v6 again, maybe it'll help. But I'm afraid not. Massive.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Henrik,

Please amend your Profile to display a (fuller) contact name. Better than "." .
Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
Quote: Henrik,

Please amend your Profile to display a (fuller) contact name. Better than "." .
Dafydd
[Moderator]

Better like this? Sorry, it was a very very old account I made a few years ago I think. Massive.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Henrik,

Just a thought, Have you by any chance also upgraded or changed wmp?

Came across this post from another forum :-
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-vista/windows-media-player-239632.html

Cheers
Adrian

Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Allright, here's an update.

Today I uninstalled PD7, installed the latest WMP (v11) and a codec-pack and reinstalled the version I was always working on: PD6 Deluxe (6.00.1731b)

Now, the same "original" problem showed up where it all started this week. When loading my project, everything goes fine untill it has to load a title somewhere in the project.

I see a popup with the title (it's called "12.45u") and the loading progress bar in it, but then it shows the message: "Powerdirector has encountered a problem and needs to close..etc etc".

So I think the problem is this title in the project. When I could solve this problem, the problem I started this topic with is not important anymore!

Anyone known with this problem?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2009 12:33

Massive.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Henrik,

So now we have a difficult choice.

If your re-install of PD6 is OK (can you test other projects or do a new test project to confirm this?) it would seem unlikely that the PD program files have been corrupted.

Therefore it seems that maybe your project.pds file has become corrupted and then causes PD to crash.

You could test this if you had another computer running PD6 ?? If not I have kept PD6 Deluxe (6.00.1731b) on my laptop for testing and you could email the project.pds file to me if you want. Of course the file will not open all the assets but maybe it will have the same issue. Normally PD will try to open the file and if the assets are unavailable it will load a timeline with black spaces, transitions etc.

Alternatively, as in your first post, you could open it in PD7, complete with blanks and try to find the offending title and remove it ??

The only trouble is you would have to save it as a PD7 project which PD6 can't open.

It's a bit difficult to advise further unless others have any ideas.

Before you do any more take a copy of the project.pds file as a backup.

I'll PM you with my email.

Cheers
Adrian

Confucius
[Post New]
Hello Adrian,

I've installed the PD6 Deluxe on my laptop now, but it crashes at the same point as on the other PC (at loading the title "12.45").
Also I tried to make, save, open and edit a new, little testproject including some titles and it works fine.

So, conclusion: in this .pds file is an error. I'm very pleased that you all trying to help me out, cause there is maybe 1 year of work in this project.

The option to delete this title from the project is nice, but indeed it won't open in PD6 anymore.
But... is there no option to save the file as a file which is also readable in older PD's? (like you can with Word, Excel etc.)

Thnx in advance,

Henrik Kok. Massive.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Henrik,

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to "save as" a previous version.

Unless others can suggest anything, we are maybe reaching the end of the line.

A .pds file is editable in any plain text editor like notepad but I have only done some basic alterations by way of experiment. I have no detailed experience of how the file is structured or interpreted but a quick look at your file shows all the assets are held on drive J: Is that an internal or external drive?

Cheers
Adrian

Confucius
[Post New]
Hello guys, a last update..
I wasn't able to solve the problem with the help of vn800rider, last days we had contact by email, we tried everything but nothing worked
Luckily, I had a backup-file which was only ±30% damaged. So I´m rebuilding the file now and packing the files everytime I worked on it.

I have learned my lesson, thnx for all your help guys!
Topic can be closed.

Grtz.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2009 03:08

Massive.