Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD7 Crash - New to PD
Nathalie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2009 14:28 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to PD7 and I am having a bad time, I have been working on my first project for the last 2 days. I have imported around 250 photos, no video as all, all JPEG's. Having worked quite a lot on my project yesterday it suddebly all went wrong! For over 5 hours I couldn't do anything at all. I kept getting PD has stopped working and Windows will look into the problem then I loose everything. I had put music and magic motions, have now managed to removed them but still no joy, sometimes I can't even open my project.
I have a new laptop (5 months) hardly used so nothing on my C drive and it's running on Vista.
Do you have any suggestions? I can see from the various forums that it looks like a recurrent problem but what can I do?
I haven't even got to the producing or burning stages yet, still trying to put transitions and slide shows in place.

Thank you for any help.
Nathalie
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried repeating your project with a smaller number of photos. Try it with 4 or 5 photos and see if the same problems occur. That may help to identify the problem.

Robert
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Nathalie,
Robert is on the right track - he's encouraging you to try and repeat the issue by creating smaller projects.

Ok, I'd like you to do a basic un-install and reinstall of PD - to sort out any corrupt file issues.
I'd then like you to open your project (hope you can) and tell us the results.

My basic instruction for any video editor is to save regularly and opt to use:
Directors chair icon > File > Save project as
as the route to save. Save files numerically. Example 001.pds, 002.pds etc
A video editor should create short projects initially and then bring all back into a final project.

1. 250 images is small
2. a crash can be caused by a number of factors
3. make sure you switch off background running software AND prevent any auto-updates.
4. Make sure you're not overloading your system with instructions it needs to process.
5. You need to give more detail of the selection and actions you were carrying out.

Technical Support is available here:
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 08. 2009 12:44

Nathalie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Robert & Dafydd,

Thank you both for your replies, I imported small amount of photos at a time and then added to it, it was all going fine until I imported a MP3 file so maybe that caused a problem but still don't understand why it still happened once I removed it.
Am about to go back and see if I can open it and work on it, I will as well un-install and reinstall PD so I will let you know how I get on.

Dafydd - sorry probably very obvious answer but I like the idea of having sevral projects and put them all together at the end but how do I do it? Do I just go to import folder and import oll the created projects into a new one?

Nathalie
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Ahhhh,

Produce your smaller projects to a finished video file.
Bring the videos back into a "new" project where you'll merge them all together in the Video track.
Add your chapters, DVD bits or Produce to a final video format of your choice (wmv etc).

I hope I explained that well enough.

Nathalie, you need to use the search capability at the top of the forum. There are lots of answers to be read.... and many of the questions have been answered by us already.

Dafydd
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nathalie,

Just two more cents worth here.

On the subject of Mp3’s, I have, for some unknown reason, always had problems with using Mp3 files while editing in PD. They always seem to make things lock up or stutter. Even wav files seem to cause the occasional glitch.
So I export any and all Mp3 files that I plan to use in a project to an audio editing program, and convert the files to the wma format. Then I import the new wma file into my PD library and audio track.
And these wma files seem to make PowerDirector very happy (on my rig anyway), as all the occasional stuttering and freezing stops.

There are many free convertors out there that can be found if you do a Google search. Or here’s a link to the free one I have been using lately…
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

Good luck.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 08. 2009 17:33

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Nathalie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for your input, greatly appreciated. Will convert the MP3 and see how it goes.
Nathalie