Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD ultra doesnt work with Hulk HD-DVD: 3 Ultra issues need fixing
Lee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2006 07:25 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
When you try to play Universal's HULK HD-DVD with PowerDVD Ultra, It fails to play the disc....instead preferring to stay in file mode. The disc has a little slip that says you need to have updated firmware in your player to play the advanced features of this disc.

Was very dissappointed that I couldnt see this disc as it is supposed to be an amazing HD transfer. I did return the disc once to ensure its not defective. A number of forum users have all complained that PowerDVD ultra cannot play this disc.

I hope a PowerDVD update comes out soon to repair the issues with their first release of Ultra.

Right now I have 3 issues:
1) PowerDVD ultra cannot play BLU-Ray and HD-DVD discs with the same version. You have to install one or the other. Major pain.
2) Power DVD ultra does not work with the Hulk disc. I wonder if it supports the latest discs/firmware.
3) When I play normal DVD's in fullscreen mode, it does not fill the entire screen. There is a 3 pixel line along the entire right side and bottom of the screen. This is not the case with HD-DVD's in full screen where it is perfect. I'm using a 24" wide LCD at 1920x1200, however the line is there even when I'm using different resolutions.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
i have the same problem with HULK HD DVD .... PowerDVD Ultra plays it in file mode and nothing happens..
Watkins [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2006 12:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: i have the same problem with HULK HD DVD .... PowerDVD Ultra plays it in file mode and nothing happens..

Same for me, I have a ticket open, but is only one of many..........
Michiel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2007 08:15 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same problem + i can't play any DVD without my system hanging.

So far i've seen:

V for Vendetta (No problems playing, menu didn't work)

The Chronicles of Riddick / Pitch Black (No problems playing, menu didn't work, hearing impared subs)

The Hulk (Nothing worked!)

The Thing (no problems playing, menu didn't work)

Batman Begins (no problems playing, menu didn't work)

As you can see the menu's are a pain in the ***.

Now i have another question, why is this forum here? is it to discuss problems that users have? or does "Cyberlink" actually read anything here?

Watkins [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was hoping that someone at Cyberlink would read these forums, but maybe not. I'm starting to get really fed up with this software now, and no patches or resolutions.

I haven't had any problems with menus, just the fact that sub-titles seem to always default to on and you can't get rid of them until after the film has started......

My two big gripes are Hulk not playing full-stop and also Wolf-Creek which is un-rated won't play due to 'parental control settings' well there aren't any parental control settings in ULTRA.

To add insult to injury, after paying for PowerDVD 7 delux I then had to pay FULL PRICE for this Beta release and do the testing for them. Well now they have sent me a get $10 off voucher if I want to upgrade to ULTRA, way to go with biulding customer relationships...

rant over

Cheers
Michiel [Avatar]
[Post New]
How do you get the menu's? i can's access them at all, also the PowerDVD option regarding the "subs" are gray, i can do "next sub" but that doesn't turn them off.

When i play a HD-DVD movie it does the intro stuff, then goes to the movie directly, not showing a menu whatsoever.
Watkins [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: How do you get the menu's? i can's access them at all, also the PowerDVD option regarding the "subs" are gray, i can do "next sub" but that doesn't turn them off.

When i play a HD-DVD movie it does the intro stuff, then goes to the movie directly, not showing a menu whatsoever.

I find it easiest to use the keyboard and just either press RIGHT or UP on the arrow keys (depending on title) and that should bring you to the menu. Alternatively once the film starts playing, right click your mouse and select 'root menu' both of those should work.

Let me know how you get on.

cheers
Michiel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried that with V for Vendetta, Batman begins and Chronicles of Riddick just now. Arrow keys do nothing chosing "root menu" or "title menu" just gives that "icon" on the right top corner but nothing happens.

I hope standalone players get more affordable soon (and better) cause this sux
Watkins [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Tried that with V for Vendetta, Batman begins and Chronicles of Riddick just now. Arrow keys do nothing chosing "root menu" or "title menu" just gives that "icon" on the right top corner but nothing happens.

I hope standalone players get more affordable soon (and better) cause this sux

Under the HD-DVD menu in configurations do you have both:

"Use HD DVD hotkeys" and " Enable mouse in HD DVD"

Checked?
Michiel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just got home and tested what u said, still nothing, i reinstalled pdvd7.2 again, removed the stuff from registry, did the "basic installing" stuff (1024x768@16bit) still the same, no menu's and no way to disable subs. And i still can't play DVD's without my screen going black and having to reset my computer.