Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie...Help Please
Decker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2007 19:47 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I got a JVC Everio for X-mas and it came with the Power Director and Producer software. I am trying to figure this all out b/c I want to start video editing of home movies. I thought I could find some tutorials on here that talked me through things. I found a few but the things it talks about I can not find on my programs. All of the Magic keys such as Magic Clean, Magic Cut etc... Why is this? I think the version I got was 3.2. Is that the reason? Did I get a very basic one that doesn't have any features on it? If so, are there tutorials out there for this one? Sorry this is so long but I am very new at all of this. Any help is much appreciated.

Lindsay Lindsay
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I got a JVC Everio for X-mas and it came with the Power Director and Producer software. I am trying to figure this all out b/c I want to start video editing of home movies. I thought I could find some tutorials on here that talked me through things. I found a few but the things it talks about I can not find on my programs. All of the Magic keys such as Magic Clean, Magic Cut etc... Why is this? I think the version I got was 3.2. Is that the reason? Did I get a very basic one that doesn't have any features on it? If so, are there tutorials out there for this one? Sorry this is so long but I am very new at all of this. Any help is much appreciated.

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,

Okay, the first thing you have to do is ask questions...don't be cautious...just ask. We all need help and I'm pleased to see postings where WE all can help and learn.

I'll move your posting to a new location for JVC users..... not yet as that part of the forum has a minor display issue.

Your camera has a special build version of PowerDirector Express. I use the latest software, PowerDirector 5 Premium and have all the refinements...including some you've mentioned in your posting. Please be aware the Special Build means you must use the Express software and upgrade only to the top of the range PD product.

Right then to the help bit. I think you have a Hard Drive camera. So you need to Cut and Paste the contents of the camera (*.mod files) to your PC's Hard Drive. I suggest you paste it into My Computer/My Works.

Next you Open PD and use the folder icon (top left) to locate the .mod file.
To place the video into the time-line all you need do is click and drag the file to the time-line from the media display. You are now ready to use the edit tools.

Questions?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2007 08:06

Decker [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, so the tutorials on the site are for PD5? Is that something that I should upgrade to now or should I wait, play with the one I got and figure it out and then move up? Are there tutorials for the one I got. PD 3.2? And yes, I have a harddrive camcorder. Thanks so much for all the help.

Lindsay Lindsay
Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2007 12:12 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lindsay,
Dafydd, thought maybe I could help.

I have the same Everio that you have (GZ-MG30) I got it from Costco back in May of 06. I didn't start fooling around with the PD software that came with it until recently. I stumbled around for a while and finally got it figured out with help from Dafydd.

If you want to shoot me questions anytime please feel free to. I would not mind sharing my limited knowledge of the software. I did alot of trial and error so maybe I can cut some of your error short. I also have the same version 3.2.

One thing I can say right now is I would wait and see what the software you have can do because it might be more then enough. After a short period I have already decided to upgrade the premium version, maybe even another brand altogether, but I'm pretty happy with the Cyberlink stuff.

Best Regards,
Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2007 03:59

Raul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2007 09:53 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

hi everyone.
I have just bought a gz-mg77 and after recording with it I find myself unable to import the video files to powerdirector express or any other editing program, it always appear a error message.
I am living in japan and I cant read japanese so maybe I am jumping some step to transfer my files from the pc to the powerdirector. Can anyone please tell me what to do once I have passed my videofiles from the camera to the Pc? What i have to do to pass the videofiles from the pc to the powerdirecto express?.
THanks a lot.

Raul
Madkitty [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2007 12:55 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
can I just clarify that if we want to upgrade it is to powerdirector 5 premium?

can you move the buttons where you want to on the dvd menu with the upgrade? Its the only think that annoys the life out of me with the software!!! Bex x
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: can I just clarify that if we want to upgrade it is to powerdirector 5 premium?

can you move the buttons where you want to on the dvd menu with the upgrade? Its the only think that annoys the life out of me with the software!!!

Hi,
PowerDirector 5 Premium is the one to upgrade to.

The DVD Create Disc capability within the program has a large selection of button positions to choose from - up to 6 buttons per displayed page. The software does not have a floating button positional capability but offers a varied selection of positions to choose from.

Dafydd
Madkitty [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2007 12:55 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
thanks - by the way do you live here

do you know if its possible to download the trial version and try that out whilst still having the ones I have installed? Also does this include both power director and producer? Bex x
Tony [Avatar]
[Post New]
Raul,
Once the vid files are on your computer open up PD express. Once you are at the interface page (this is the first page that comes up when you double click the PD express icon) there is a small folder icon just below the Capture tab, click on it.

This will give you a small drop down menu with the choices to load media file or load media folder. Pick a file (video) and it should appear in the library or work space.

Good Luck,

Tony

PS: After you have uploaded them from your camcorder to your PC, can you open the files to view them with Windows or RealPlayer or whatever program you have?
Raul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2007 09:53 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, what you told me is exactly what I do but it doesnt work.I can watch the files only on power dvd, not in windows media,nero,itunes...nothing.
When I pass the data from the camera to the pc what shall I copy besides the SD_VIDEO folder? on my japanese leaflet I see something bout EXTMOV folder but I cant read japanese so I dont know what I have to do.

Please help me.

Raul
Tony [Avatar]
[Post New]
Raul,
The EXTMOV folder has no video in it so you dont have to worry about that. You dont have to drag the entire SDVIDEO folder over to your PC. Click on the SDVIDEO folder to open it and just drag the PRG001 folder to your PC. This should contain all your video (.mod) files plus some small (1kb) .moi files, dont worry about those. Once they are on your computer (note the exact location) open up PDexpress, go to the folder (PRG001)containing the individual video files and pick one of the .mod files (at this point it will probably have the PowerDVD icon on it). When you click on the one file it should put it in your editing library.

If you were dragging the entire SDVIDEO folder over that might have been the problem.

Hope this helps,

Tony
Decker [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so far for everyone's help! I do have another problem now, that the post above me seemed to be addressing but his link didn't work. I have a video that I wanted to put on youtube so my friends could see it but, my files are too big. They are supposed to be 100mb or smaller. So I wanted to convert my files from .mod to .avi. Now I am stuck and have been trying to figure this out for a few days now. They are form a concert and I really don't want to edit anything. I have 4 or 5 different files (all different songs) that I'm working with. Should I put these into PD 3.2 separately and then convert them? If so, how exactly do I convert them. I tried putting all of them in together but, ran out of room when I was dragging and dropping them into the timeline. I could only get about 2 on there.

I hope all this made sense. Sorry it's so long but, I'm really frustrated!
Linz Lindsay
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Lindsay,

The post(s) (they were spam) you referred to were deleted by me...

You want to do something your version of PD cant do.... create a compressed avi file from the timeline. PD6 is worth getting. It will knock the socks off PD3.2

PD6... just out:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/1062.page

Dafydd