Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What are the best settings for final .flv?
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 29, 2008 12:37 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
So, my ultimate goal is to upload to a website a video in .flv format (high quality).

I do not want to upload to youtube.

What are the best settings in PD to produce the best output for subsequent .flv?

Right now I go to Produce/Create A File/AVI/Windows AVI/AVI High Quality Profile/settings/No Compressor/ Then I render. A short video of
15-20 seconds produces a 150mb file! How can I get this size down and retain quality?

(note that when I am in the AVI Profile Setting box, when I click the Video/Audio tab here, PD shuts down??? Bug?? This is always repeatable)

Side note: Does anyone use the video converter called SUPER?
When I use the DV-AVI setting in PD, the file plays find in WMP but will not convert to .flv in SUPER??? It complains about DirectShow ActiveX.

Thanks in advance,

Ray
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ray,

I use Super© for a lot of file conversions but for .flv files I use pazera video to flash.

You can get the link on seemyworldonvideo.com in the extras for editors sections.

The posts on youtube HD have some info in as well.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5455.page

Most of the HD (as opposed to the SD and screen capture ones) videos I put on seemyworld are mp4s shot at 720p produced as 720p mpg and then converted with pazera to flv using 2 pass encoding, anything around 1500 upwards for bitrate, 1280x720, 128 Kbit 44Khz 2 channel audio. Check them out to see if they're high enough quality for you?

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks Adrian,

Does pazera do .avi to .flv conversion?

Also, I un-installed and re-installed SUPER and that seemed to fix that problem. Although I don't know what it might have broken. I had loaded a couple of video applications after my first SUPER install which probably broke SUPER....

Regards,

Ray
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ray,

I think its OK but maybe not all .avi - like screen capture ones?

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe I'm a little green as far as video goes, but in PD, I produce an AVI
and I want to convert to .flv I use SUPER for this.

Maybe I should render in mpg then go to .flv?
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Ray,

I'm not sure there's much to choose - whatever looks good for your purpose I suppose.

I'm sure there are some discussions to be had about the differing encoding methods and their effect on quality but as some of my previous posts show I'm a bit of a pragmatist rather than a theoretical perfectionist so ease and speed come into it for me as well as quality. Given that most streaming web based video is small, the quality issue may be less important than file size.

As I say, I tend to produce to mpg because I dispplay as mpg on laptops etc as well as on smwov and youtube, but the PD tutorials were all produced as wmv HD standard quality then converted to mp4 for upload to youtube HD.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Ray -

Dafydd advised me to produce to WMV HD standard, then convert with Pazera (free software)... using similar settings to those Adrian mentioned. I use SUPER occasionally & I think it would suit your purposes just as well.

... but Dafydd & Adrian are the best guys to answer this - along with other multi talented members I've failed to mention (phew).

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!