Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Videos wrong size
Kevmoon
Newbie Location: Southern Spain Joined: May 16, 2009 08:29 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,I am new to video,a friend has given me a WMF file which was shot in 4:3 I have set both the programme (PD7) and the clip in timeline to 4:3. The veiwing window at the top right of the screen is clearly 16:9 and the video fills it so everyone looks fat,is there a way to change the physical size of the clip I.E. squash it in from the sides so that people have the right proportions,I know I will have two black vertical bands at each side of the video but this is no problem.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

You have 3 variables to play with.

Project aspect ratio
Set in Directors Chair>edit>aspect ratio

Clip Aspect ratio
Clip in timeline, rt click>set aspect ratio

In clip Set aspect ratio you have choices as to which method you choose to resize the clip (if any) - Letterbox, Stretch,CLPV and Crop

If you want to produce to 4:3 and your clip is 4:3 set the project aspect ratio to 4:3.

If you want to produce to 16:9, and your clip is 4:3, set project aspect ratio to 16:9, then set clip aspect ratio to 16:9 using which ever method suits you best.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Kevmoon
[Post New]
Hello Adrian,Thanks for your prompt response,I have to go out now so will have another go later.My camera does both aspect ratios so I have tried a clip I shot in 4:3 and it's perfect I would say that the WMF file I was given is at fault as I said earlier it looks like a 4:3 clip that has been stretched horizontally so everyone looks fat.Does anyone know of a programme that can correct this,the content of the clip is me in a show and frankly I don't want to look any fatter than I already am !!! I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

There is a choice in Set Aspect Ratio for the clip, where the clip is neither 16:9 nor 4:3 and you can then choose a method that might give you acceptable results.

Alternatively you could use something like Super© to re-render the wmv clip to an appropriate aspect ratio.

If you join seemyworldonvideo.com there are some utilities there in the extras for editors pages that might help - for example mediainfo which will give you metadata about your video clips.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Kevin,

I’ve seen that type of distorted (fun house mirror) effect in some Youtube videos, and always assumed that the poster had just made some mistake in their render/producing of the clip. This may be the case with respect to the clip your friend gave you. It may indeed be a 4:3 clip, but owing to some rendering error, it is what it is, and just came out looking distorted. I don’t know.

But, if Adrian’s suggestions (which are definitely the first path you should explore), don’t accomplish a reduction in your weight gain, hahaha, you might try this as a workaround...

- Open a new project screen in PD7
- Assure you have the “project” aspect ratio set to 4:3 (directors chair > edit > set aspect )
- Place a black (or any color) Color Board in the Master track.
[Color Boards can be found In the drop down menu above library pane]
- Place the distorted clip in a PIP track a leave highlighted.
- Click Modify to open PIP Designer.
- Un-check the little “Keep/Maintain Aspect Ratio” box in the lower left of screen.
- Extend the top and side borders of the clip to achieve the desired look.
[you may want to leave a bit of a black border around clip to frame it for a more
aesthetically pleasing look]
- (re)Produce to a Mpeg2, or Avi, (or whatever format you choose) and archive.

It’s not a perfect workaround, but if all else fails, it might suit your needs as the best possible alterative to... get you back in shape, hahaha.
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Kevmoon
[Post New]
Hello Again,Glad you're amused at my weight problem but don't worry I can take it !!! I will try that as soon as I get time and report back.

Fat Kevin I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member
vn800rider
[Post New]
Here in Yorkshire we don't call people fat (especially ourselves).

I'm what is generally described as 'well upholstered' - as in furniture.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

No disrespect intended. Just riffing on your...

frankly I don't want to look any fatter than I already am !!!

See, I can relate. I just wish I could load my life into PD7, and simply edit my weight issues away.
Let us know if you get the clip issue resolved. There are lots of folks here who are willing to help.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 17. 2009 05:11

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Kevmoon
[Post New]
Eh Up I'm from Yorkshire (Sheffield, Up The Owls) I had work to do but have put it off for half an hour gave the pip track idea a go and guess what
it appears to work !!! with keep aspect ratio unchecked it squashes the clip in from the sides and restores me back to fat instead of really fat.Now of course I have to decide how much integrity I have because if I can make myself thinner just how far do I go !!! I really must sort out the irrigation for my Orange trees now but will report back later.

Not so fat Kevin I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member
Kevmoon
[Post New]
Hello Again, a big thanks to you both it worked I have uploaded to youTube (return to the forbidden planet She's not there) with no problems.Uptube has put extra black bands at each side but it still looks OK
What a great forum

Kevin I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
I didn't see this post when I opened a new thread here
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6772.page

It looks like you were able to work around the issue, I have found that there is something different about the newest patch (maybe there is a setting that I'm missing that is in the newest patch and not the older one) but I thought I would link these two together.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 19. 2009 00:17

Kevmoon
[Post New]
Hello There,I had the same problem a couple of years ago with Ulead, small zoomed out picture,no one on their forum could help so I chose PD6.

Kevin I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Someone replied in the other thread (which I started) but I don't believe that will fix my problem. I am assuming (as you can see by my answer in the other thread) that it is a software issue. Because as you know, I can only come close in comparing, it is still two different computers. I had no problems, well at least not this problem, with version 1829 (I think it was) so I will go back to that and see if that solves my problem or not. (here is the other response).

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/6772/ENU.page#27062

ETA I uninstalled PD 2726 and wiped the registry etc and reinstalled 1829 and solved my problem. SO it looks like I will have to wait until there is another patch and try that (after I'm done my current project) SO just an FYI for others that might be running into this problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2009 17:27