Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Full screen to wide screen conversion in pd7
jaschlicht1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2008 13:15 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
I am putting together a High School end of the Season Track video. I have been asked if I can do both the full screen and wide screen formats. Is there a way to convert one format to the other. I have done mine using the full screen format and wondered what it would take to do this in a wide screen format.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Easily done Jeff.

I guess by "full screen", you mean 4:3 aspect ratio... and you want to change it to "wide screen" (16:9). Yes?

Just right click on the video track and select "Set Aspect Ratio" - choose which option you want.

You should have a look at Dafydd's tutorial...

http://docs.cyberlink.com/event/PDR-gallery/play.jsp?nFileId=1340

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jaschlicht1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2008 13:15 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply Tony.

If I understand correctly, I can put a movie together in powerdirector in the 4:3 aspect ratio and then change it to the 16:9 ratio. So if I have a movie saved in the 4:3 ratio, I can save it as another file and then go in and change that file to 16:9???? I tried to view the tutorial, but my computer would not play anything.

Jeff
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

You have a couple of choices:

1. Once you have made your 4:3 project you can change the aspect ration of the entire project by going into the project file data and "hacking" the file as per Tony's link. Always make a copy of the project file before you do this ...just in case.

2. Render the 4:3 project and then start a new project in 16:9 format and just drop the 4:3 video file in it's entirety into the time line and render as 16:9. Depending on the aspect flags you might have to force the aspect ratio of the video by right clicking > set aspect ratio. This way of course means re-rendering with possible loss of quality but is pretty easy to do vis option 1.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: .... the aspect ration ......

I thought I was the only one who did that sort of typo.... glad to see it is a virus!

Dafydd
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: .... the aspect ration ......

I thought I was the only one who did that sort of typo.... glad to see it is a virus!

Dafydd

No Dafydd... not a typo at all; I was referring to the ability of PD to ration the video footage so not to take up the entire screen if you change the project to widescreen.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 14. 2009 17:43

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd! Dafydd! Dafydd!

How silly of you not to understand that!

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Of course, ration... as in less of, drat, you guys are so smart

Dafydd