Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is PowerDVD Ultra 9 fixed yet?
JJPower [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 22:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I have Power DVD Ultra 8, and use this for blu-ray playback.
Lately I keep getting notices to upgrade to Power DVD Ultra9.
I have held off due to all the problems people were experiencing, when it was first released.
Has anybody been successful in getting this latest version to work, without experiencing major problems?
Would YOU recommend upgrading?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2009 13:57

Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2009 22:32 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded from 7,3 and ultra 9 has worked great. I use it for bluray and dvd.
Robinson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2007 18:07 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
There is a free trial, give it a go.
JJPower [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have yet to get a trial version to fully work, so I am not going to go that route.
If I upgrade it will be the full version, or I will keep the same one I currently have.
Chris you claim Ultra 9 is working great. Was this right after installation, or did you have to do anything else?
I am really hoping to hear some more success stories before I consider making the plunge.
Anyone??
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2009 22:32 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
It worked fine right after installation.

I tried the trial first and it worked as well. What kind of problems are you having with the trial? The free trial doesn't play blurays, so it's hard to test that functionality.

Ryan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2009 23:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
It's not working at all with Blu-Ray. It plays DVD's fine for me.
William [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2009 18:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
JJ,

You may want to remain patient for the time-being. I've had the full-version Power DVD 9 Ultra for a month now, and still run ito issues/difficulties trying to watch Blu-Ray DVD's. The latest was today, when after loading my newest, I had a window pop-up in the middle of my screen telling me that the disk was "not recognized or invalid". I purchased the disk through Best Buys and am sure that it is a valid/authorized disk. Unfortunately, I'm unable to watch this $26.00 Blu-Ray disk, and after waiting for two-weeks for it and spending over six hours trying to figure out why it won't play, I'm more than a little frustrated. I spent over $100.00 for this program and am without its use anyhow. We're all still frustrated with the lack of a decent/reliable program to use this Blu-Ray technology. Hopefully more software designers will begin offering affordable quality programs that everyone can enjot trouble-free.

I do feel your pain though...
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2009 09:46 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Power DVD Sucks use Arcsoft TotalMedia 3
JJPower [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replys so far, and hope to hear from more of you.

Chris,
I am using PowerDVD Ultra for Blu-ray playback only, and very rarely ever watch DVD's anymore.
This why I won't try the trial version of PowerDVD Ultra 9.

Thanks William, for your feedback regarding Ultra9.

This is what I am really concerned about.
Going from a working version Ultra8 , to something that is only going to give me grief and problems.
Unless I hear more success stories than problems, I will continue to hold off on upgrading, and encourage others to do the same.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 12. 2009 12:08

Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2009 09:46 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I can almost guarantee the problems to have with powerdvd, you will not have with Arcsoft TotalMedia. For example: x-files (I want to believe) will not play regardless the type of video card you have it will not work. Unless you have AnyDVD, it will either freeze or give you the BD Advisor bullsh_t msg. As for TotalMedia just pop in the blueray and viola...
Ta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2009 15:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I've had 9 Ultra for a month now and have no major issues. It plays all Blu-Rays with picture and sound just fine (I have Netflix account). The minor issues can be overlooked for me.

1) PowerDVD tends to lock up for 5-8 seconds during startup.
2) The keyboard shortcuts for the controls don't always seem to work. IE. pressing 'n' to go to next chapter or pressing space bar/enter (can't remember which) to pause the movie.

The only major issue for me is that there's still no support for DTS TrueHD Master Audio. The audio still comes through as 5.1 instead of 7.1. I've contacted tech support and apparently there's a fix in the pipe... this was a month ago and still nothing.
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2009 14:58 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Power DVD Sucks use Arcsoft TotalMedia 3

I attempted to do just that............downloaded their Top of the Line Version to TRY first......what a BUMMER that turned out to be.....can NOT believe that Arcsoft expects you to watch/try it out SILENTLY.....there is/was a WARNING right to begin with.....IF the Sounnd track uses DOLBY you will NOT have sound using the TRIAL......that tried me enough to immediately DELETE the Arcsoft product from my machine and go directly back to PDVD!!!
Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2009 22:04 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem and tried to reload Power DVD9 Ultra. My problem though was, I could play my own pre-made BlueRay disc's from the folder(mts2) but not any(tried 5) store bought BlueRay from a folder. Of course it would not play at all from the disc by itself automatically.
It would play a standard DVD just fine and automatically.

The very first time I installed PowerDVD 9 Ultra, I was able to install the 1719 build update. Since reinstalling PowerDVD 9 Ultra as instructed by Cyberlink, I haven't been able to install this update. It fails nearly all the way through it, with error code 1403. I contacted Cyberlink and they sent me instructions to eliminate Power DVD 9 Ultra along with registry file deletions and then reinstall however with many, about 15 attempts, the 1719 build update still errors. Cyberlink says to keep trying the install regardless. I am trying but no luck yet.

My machine:
A really cool Coolermaster case
750 watt PS
AMD x2 64 5600+ running at 2.9 Mhz
Biostar TA790GXB A2+ 6.x
8 gig memory 800 mhz
5 SATA 2 WD 750 gig 32 mb cache hard drives
(4 hard drives in RAID 1+0, speeds of 130 to
230 mb/s on Intensity Pro speed tester)
(the fifth drive on RAID 0)
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
1 HD 4890 ATI video card turned up all the way