Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timing / Frame Duration Issues in PD7
[Post New]
I have been reading the forum messages regarding the timing issues in PD7. I have updated to the latest build (2726) but the problem I continue to have is the program changing the duration of the frames in the timeline.

All I am using is jpg images - no video clips. But each time I close and reopen my project, PD alters the time duration on probably 90% of the frames, even if only slightly. I can set the duration to display a frame/pic for 8:15, and after reopening (or just by going from the edit area to the creat disc area and back) the frame duration will be changed to 8:14 or 8:16 or something other than what I manually set. Sometimes it even changes the duration of the fade/transitions.

I realize that the change is only a fraction of a second, but with a long movie, it can make a difference. And besides, I should have full control over the project and not be having to deal with the program setting its own timing. Are there any fixes?

Thanks!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi IndyGirl,

For 'technical' reasons I only have PD7 2519 available at the moment on an old system. Using the stock cherry jpgs I have no timing changes.

Can't test any more updated releases for a while but just for completeness - does this happen with all jpg, including the stock ones, or just your own?

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. I ran a quick test with the 5 stock jpg images that came with the program. After closing and reopening a couple of times, the timing remained in tact. Just for clarification, I purchased PD7 about a year ago and started out with build 1714. I have since downloaded and installed each new patch in hopes of repairing the glitches, but I've noticed this problem since the beginning. Question ... why would my own jpg images cause this problem with the timing? Most of them are nice digital images.

BTW, when I reopened the project I've been working on, the timing on most every one of the 107 frames had once again been changed (including 3 transitions). It gets very frustrating, and I appreciate your input.
[Post New]
Hi there IndyGirl -

I tried to replicate your problem using a folder containing 24 jpeg files. I imported the files and put them in the timeline (as you did). To each imae, I assigned a different duration (as you did). Between each image I assigned a transition of varying length (as you did). I saved the project & closed it... to see what would happen.

You may be disappointed to hear that the timings and transitions I applied were still there - exactly. PD7, in my case, did not make any changes.

The only tiny difficulty I had was that - in some cases - when typing in a duration for an image or transition, PD7 would not accept what I typed. eg. I typed 03:30 (seconds) and PD7 wanted it to be 3:29 for some reason. Odd that. When I re-opened the project, the duration was still 3:29.

To answer your question, I have no idea why your issue is happening... but I do hope you're able to overcome it soon. I absolutely agree with you. The software should not be dictating terms to the user.

Cheers -

Tony Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know what the cause of this issue is and it hasn't been posted here before. Please uninstall - reinstall PD (standard instruction) and start a completely new project.

Hi Tony,
0.29 is the max for a 30 frames per second (ntsc frame rate) and on the 30th would change to 1.00. The changes you made were just to the duration counter and though you could type the changes in, the ntsc or pal setting (you've preselected) dictated the maximum frame rate allowed in the selection.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 07. 2009 04:18

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
IndyGirl,
Please send me your purchase order number, full name and email address (I might have that but still include it). PM me the data.

I will see if I can get a quick solution to you - well maybe a solution

Dafydd
[Post New]
Will do, Dafydd … thanks.

And thanks to Tony as well. I appreciate you having a run at it. Every little bit helps.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
The problem could lie with the computer CMOS battery. when batteries get old the computer clock tends to shift. This may have a relation to the duration of the clips in PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2009 10:05

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

[Post New]
That's an interesting thought ... but then, why doesn't it happen with the stock images as well? Wouldn't the problem persist in all circumstances?
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Well well. Have you tried with images and are you sure it does not happen
Alternately convert the jpg images to bitmap images and try . Cheers !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2009 23:04

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

[Post New]
If you will read earlier in this thread, you will see that someone else suggested I try a project with the stock images in PD ... which I did ... and the timing glitch was not reproduced (which I can't explain). I don't claim to be a computer wizard, but it would seem to me that if it was a battery problem, the effect would be indiscriminate, causing the same timing issue with all images whether jpg, bmp, or what have you.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi F.
Did you get the email I sent you?
Dafydd
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Please see my PM ... thanks.
AshJT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2009 23:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am having this exact same problem with PD7...I set durations for the jpgs I am using, save the project and without fail the next time I open it up numerous ones have changed slightly...Very frustrating and time consuming to have to go back and check each one...Does anyone know of a solution to this problem yet? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html
Please upgrade as per attached link. You didn't mention what build of PD7 you have.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
For AshJT and anyone else interested in this thread, I want to share an update to an earlier post.

On my first trial attempt to recreate this timing problem, I only added 5 of PD’s stock jpg images and the frame duration did not change, and that was the result I posted. Later however, thinking that perhaps a longer project might recreate the glitch, I added those same 5 images 10 times for a total of 50 frames, gave them all 9-second durations, and added 2-second fades between them all. I then closed and reopened the project to find that the duration of 19 frames were now different.

I have noticed that when the timing on one frame is changed, compensation is made on another frame. For example, with the 9-second frames, when one frame is changed to 8:29, compensation is made elsewhere by changing another one to 9:01. Also, on this trial run, 2 frames reverted back to the 5-seconds I had originally set for this trial, and 2 fades were completely removed.

After downloading build 2726 and reinstalling, the same timing issue remained (even with a new trial project using PD stock images). I haven’t worked with PD at all in a number of months and have yet to test it again with my own images. It just so happens that I am currently using an older PC and the CMOS battery may well be the culprit as suggested earlier. But I’m shopping for another system and once I have a new one, it will be interesting to see if the timing issue goes away.