Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using Paint Designer to Reveal Pic Underneath
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2017 11:14 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

Is it possible to use Paint Designer as a way to effectively unmask an image on top of another?

I'm thinking primarily I want to use it to unveil an animation line on a map - but every time I do it, it just DRAWS the line I'm marking out instead of creating a particular mask layer.

Is there a way to draw a mask layer?

For example a simple travel line between 2 cities, or for another example, I want to effectively animate a circle around a logo as per attached.

I would like to put a 2nd image beneath the attachment and have the circle be drawn in?

I found this YT video which should be what I need, but when I follow the exact same instructions, again, it just draws the same line instead of unmasks the image?

Thanks!
[Thumb - SnapShot(1).jpg]
 Filename
SnapShot(1).jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
190 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2018 15:21

JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Here are several tutorials that deal with unmasking a line on a map.

They may contain at least part of a solution to your issue.

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

Tutorial 3

--Jim
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here are several tutorials that deal with unmasking a line on a map.

They may contain at least part of a solution to your issue.

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

Tutorial 3

--Jim

Yup have seen those Jim thank you, they do work but it's a lot of work for what should have a quick solution in PD16 surely?

This vid manages it, but it doesn't explain how he gets path 3 as it's different to the handdrawn one etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUsQvOpbso&t=307s
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the vid and see if I can figure out how it works better.

--Jim
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the vid and see if I can figure out how it works better.

--Jim

Also Jim sorry your links don't work, can you change? I'm fairly sure I looked at yours using mask boxes etc right? Sorry was preemptive in my reply!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Take a look at this user created express project. Here is a YT video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1j76ZYOZAI .
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Take a look at this user created express project. Here is a YT video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1j76ZYOZAI .

thanks tomasc but all i can see is just a short YT vid displaying the animation etc, no template to download or instructions?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't make it any easier. The description box under the video is also a link if you place your mouse cursor on it. YouTube does not host any template downloads and will probably never will if it remains a video hosting service.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ArchedEdge -

I think I understand what you're trying to do &, because it's difficult to create a clean animated line in Paint Designer, the masking step is necessary.

In the PDtoots tutorial you linked, the step you may be missing is creating the image that masks the animated line. That involves using the same image you're animating - but with part of it transparent.

If you have a look at this thread, you'll find some examples, a step-by-step "how to" document, & some packed projects showing the elements needed.

For your logo animation, exactly the same steps are needed. It just depends which part you want to animate. Is that the best quality drawing you have of the logo? There are some unclean lines that make it a little difficult.

Starting with a clean drawing & following the right steps, you can make something like this.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi ArchedEdge -

I think I understand what you're trying to do &, because it's difficult to create a clean animated line in Paint Designer, the masking step is necessary.

In the PDtoots tutorial you linked, the step you may be missing is creating the image that masks the animated line. That involves using the same image you're animating - but with part of it transparent.

If you have a look at this thread, you'll find some examples, a step-by-step "how to" document, & some packed projects showing the elements needed.

For your logo animation, exactly the same steps are needed. It just depends which part you want to animate. Is that the best quality drawing you have of the logo? There are some unclean lines that make it a little difficult.

Starting with a clean drawing & following the right steps, you can make something like this.

Cheers - Tony

Ah Tony thanks for that. I think I see what that method is now, I've been getting the layering different in my head. You're effectively letting the red line shine through the transparent lines and the rest is the standard pic?

I want to animate the circle around the logo to go round clockwise. I've achieved it via traditional mask boxes that move with key frames, but can't believe there isn't a simple unmask solution with the pencil drawing tool?

I have a higher quality pic but will play around with it first and come back to you. Not sure I'll be able to make it work though as they're intentionally not clean lines on the circular part!
JimIowa
[Post New]
Thanks to this discussion I was able to develop a tutorial that shows this masking technique with the PiP designer. It also shows how to create the transparent 'trail' for users of Photoshop Elements. I'm eager to see what else I can learn about Paint Designer.
--Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2018 09:09

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim – That is a good tutorial. It should work using some other image and paint programs too.