Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
removing missing files in a project
kosimek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 14, 2017 18:08 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I made a video with a lot of photos and a variety of short videos.
Afterwards I deleted a fair bit of the unused material but when I load the project again I keep getting messages saying that the item could not be found.

Unfortunately it does not show these unfound items in the medium content list and I can therefore not remove them from the library. How can I clean up the pds file to remove the items that cause the warnings about unfound material.

I found something called "Remove all unused items from library" but cannot find any information online about what that does exactly.
Is that the option to use? I'm afraid it might do something I do not expect. It would be easier if the missing items would be shown in the medium content list with an icon with a cross through it or something, so I can remove them manually.
Any suggestions?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Do it and save the project under a different name.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Do it and save the project under a different name.

When you take a clip or still from the Media Room and place it on the timeline, the copy left in the Media Room gains a green tick so that you know you have already used an item in your project. Using the "Remove unused items" command simply removes the items without a green tick. They are not lost, but just where you got them from in the first place.

So far as your missing material is concered: Are you loading your material from a an SD card or some other external device, and then removing the device before you edit? PD needs to be able to find the material at all times. This is why it is a good idea to load the material to a folder on the hard drive before loading into PD.

A .PDS file (project file) stores no images, only information where to find the clips and other editing information. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
kosimek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 14, 2017 18:08 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Do it and save the project under a different name.

When you take a clip or still from the Media Room and place it on the timeline, the copy left in the Media Room gains a green tick so that you know you have already used an item in your project. Using the "Remove unused items" command simply removes the items without a green tick. They are not lost, but just where you got them from in the first place.

So far as your missing material is concered: Are you loading your material from a an SD card or some other external device, and then removing the device before you edit? PD needs to be able to find the material at all times. This is why it is a good idea to load the material to a folder on the hard drive before loading into PD.

A .PDS file (project file) stores no images, only information where to find the clips and other editing information.

No, the files are on a hard drive but I loaded more files in the library than I wound up using, that's why.
I already removed all of the files that it did find but that did not have a tick mark.
WIll use the Remove All Unused option to clear the stuff I deleted.
Thank you and Tomasc for your suggestions. Cheers