Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
video bitrate setting
antiman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2017 12:45 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
hi gang!

i've run a couple test runs through the produce tab at varying quality levels. if i use 1920/1080 from the presets at say 30 fps, the final produced file seems smaller than i would expect for really good 'lossless' quality. i created another test with a custom profile of 1920/1080/59 fps and the bitrate at maximum, 60,000 and the output file was great (and much larger, closer to what i'd expect the file size to be) i've never messed with this and am ignorant... i want to sorta match the quality of my cameras source footage.

is there a way to tell what bitrate my footage is? i've never seen indication of my source bitrate.

and secondly, is 60,000 reserved for huge 4k bigger than bluray files? i want to set this number where it creates quality without overkill... is 20,000 a good standard for 1920?
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
If your source footage is 30fps, then it is not necessary to produce with 60fps. The frames are just doubled without a win of quality.
The bitrate depends on your footage a your visual desires, but mostly, it is not useful to have a higher bitrate as the original footage. You can't get better quality than the source.
Do a right mouse click on the clip in media room. Select "View Properties". The video part of the properties show the bitrate.
Or (even better), get the program "mediainfo" from internet. It's free. After installing, do a right click on a media file in Windows explrer and select "MediaInfo". That program gives detailed information about the mediafile.
For Youtube, my settings are 1920x1080@25p with 18000kbps

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Adding to what Haitti showed.

When producing video, first try Intelligent SVRT, this is the best option, if available and working 100%

You can check SVRT, in the Edit module, on the keyboard press Alt + S

The green bar above the video, indicates no rendering required

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2018 11:05

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
As stated by other users the bit rate of the original determines maximum video bit resolution which determines overall image detail.

On Youtube one can find videos at only 5Kb bit rates that are impressive to view. On the other hand there are 4K UHD clips with very high bit rates that look unatural when viewed on a TV with UHD capabilty.

Perhaps you need to decide how the video will be viewed and then decide on the best rendered options. SVRT is a good start but it is not reliable all the time.
antiman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2017 12:45 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
thanks all, i did indeed find mediainfo online, and my slr,camcorder and action cam all produce bitrates at 60p =60,000, 24p = 24000. so i learned that the numbers corelate! that's a very useful bit of info, i've never known about video bitrate, but as a sorta audiophile wannabe, i'm totally aware of music bitrates, i'm just new to the video numbers...

the lesser video edit software i've been using didn't get into that level of detail, if i simply set the presets for 'best' it did a good job, so here in this superior program i was scratching my head over final output when using the presets. after finding media info i was able to check my source, now i understand how it works.

thanks again everyone