Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error message: Error saving. project might be corrupted
Philippina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2016 09:43 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
PD version 16.0.2524.0
SR Number VDE171213-07

I am editing a documentary of 45 minutes. Current length of rough cut approx 25 minutes. Using stills and mp4 clips and interviews and AAC m4a sound. 1920x1080 HD. Last night I received an error message: Error saving. Project might be corrupted. I have no idea what caused it. I tried saving the project under a new name, tried Pack Product Materials, etc. When I re open the project it is possible to view all the material on the timeline. Nothing seems to be missing, but when the project tries to auto save after 5 minutes I repeatedly receive the error message. I have an urgent deadline but am afraid of the consequences should I continue editing and ignoring this error message.
At the time I received the first error message I was more or less doing the following:
a) Using Magic motion on a still. I tried to ease in and out.
b)Went back to YouTube to the How to tutoring lessons.
c) Tried to change the clone display (my computor screen and external Dell screen) to multiple displays to be able to follow and apply the steps of the lesson. Encountered a problem to change to multiple displays, although I have used it in the past.
d) Encountered a problem to enable my mouse on both screens. Have not experienced this before.
e) Inserted a small PD project of an interview.
Could any of these steps have caused the error message? Please help.
I am also unsure whether the settings for shadow files is correct, which resolution I should use and where to store the shadow files.
Currently 720x480. I had my setting to auto delete every 30 days, byt have changed it to manually delete
Some PD programme and other files are on the OS drive; some on the D drive. Preview cache files on D drive, as well as project and all materials in on master library file. During editing I use the High preview resolution. During my previous drama project of 55 minutes I could easitly use the Full HD Preview resolution, since the computor has the ability to do so.
[Thumb - Error Dont have permission MSOCacge D Drive.PNG]
 Filename
Error Dont have permission MSOCacge D Drive.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - Error saving project might be corrupted.PNG]
 Filename
Error saving project might be corrupted.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
713 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
203 time(s)
[Post New]
if you can do your project again, save every 3 or 4 minutes, in case an error happens, will know where and correct.

Another way is undoing the project.

Save the project under another name to preserve the original.

it deletes parts in the timeline and saving, maybe the error disappears when deleting what is causing the error.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2018 10:28

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
where do you save your project? The error message says something about MSOCache. That is a MS Office Folder where you don't have access to as a normal user.
Start PD16 as an administrator and try again. If it works, it seems, that your project or PD16 tries to save files to folder, where no access is granted. Change to save folder to an other folder.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
In these types of instances the primary aim is to protect as much of the project as you can.

As a first step, locate your project .pds file in windows explorer and copy it to a new name and new location as a backup.

Next, open your original project and see if you can do a Save As to a new location and new file name?

Then open this "new" project file and see if the error persists on a Save command.

The Autosave location might have been changed, or become corrupted, so check that, and, if necessary, change it to another/new location and see if that helps.

For example, when I'm testing something for someone, my autosave is changed to C:\USERS\NAME\DESKTOP\PD16AUTOSAVE\
so that it doesn't mix things up with other personal project autosaves.

It may be that PDR has tried to save but failed, and therefore reports that the project might be corrupted as a result. Of course it may not be, and, as you report, everything seems to be there. Personally, I manually save to a sequential project .pds as often as I can remember, to minimise any chances of corruption or disk error etc.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote where do you save your project? The error message says something about MSOCache. That is a MS Office Folder where you don't have access to as a normal user.
Start PD16 as an administrator and try again. If it works, it seems, that your project or PD16 tries to save files to folder, where no access is granted. Change to save folder to an other folder.

Hatti

Thank you, Hatti,
Appreciate your interest in my problem. I do not know why I received the second error message re MSOCahe. It occurred only once. See the rest of my answer to the PD Moderator.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2018 06:39

Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
In these types of instances the primary aim is to protect as much of the project as you can.

As a first step, locate your project .pds file in windows explorer and copy it to a new name and new location as a backup.

Next, open your original project and see if you can do a Save As to a new location and new file name?

Then open this "new" project file and see if the error persists on a Save command.

The Autosave location might have been changed, or become corrupted, so check that, and, if necessary, change it to another/new location and see if that helps.

For example, when I'm testing something for someone, my autosave is changed to C:\USERS\NAME\DESKTOP\PD16AUTOSAVE\
so that it doesn't mix things up with other personal project autosaves.

It may be that PDR has tried to save but failed, and therefore reports that the project might be corrupted as a result. Of course it may not be, and, as you report, everything seems to be there. Personally, I manually save to a sequential project .pds as often as I can remember, to minimise any chances of corruption or disk error etc.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

I am really thankful for the interest in my problem. Thank you for all the suggestions. I followed all the steps you recommended and changed the autosave to the new file location. At first it seemed to solve the problem. I was able to save the "new" project. But soon the original error message returned.
The only alternative that I could think of was to produce what I have edited up to this point, and import it into a new project and continue from there. I will have to checkerbord the "clips" to be able to shorten some and do transitions, as well as to be able to eventually colour grade and do sound mixing. Time consuming, but I can think of nothing else. Do you agree?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I suppose it may be up to you in the end. It may be that some part of the project is damaged, or causing the issue, and to find it might be as much work as your suggested method. It might be a specific asset or an edit that is causing the issue so "re-using" that asset might still cause the issue in your new project??

In the absence of sequential backups, which might get you to a point before the problem arose, there is a well tried process for troubleshooting this type of thing - applicable in many contexts.

Take 2 backup copies of the .pds file

Open backup1 of the project.
Cut out half - probably the last half might be best, unless you've worked on the first half more recently.
See if the problem shows itself on the half that is left. If it doesn't - then that half is probably OK.

Open up backup2.
Now do the same, but take out the first half which is OK. The problem should then be in the remaining last half. If it is, then the same technique can be used again - split the remaining half and check which bit causes the issue.

You might have to do this splitting and testing of halves several times and eventually you might be able to narrow it down sufficiently to cure it!?

Whether it's worth it is over to you!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I suppose it may be up to you in the end. It may be that some part of the project is damaged, or causing the issue, and to find it might be as much work as your suggested method. It might be a specific asset or an edit that is causing the issue so "re-using" that asset might still cause the issue in your new project??

In the absence of sequential backups, which might get you to a point before the problem arose, there is a well tried process for troubleshooting this type of thing - applicable in many contexts.

Take 2 backup copies of the .pds file

Open backup1 of the project.
Cut out half - probably the last half might be best, unless you've worked on the first half more recently.
See if the problem shows itself on the half that is left. If it doesn't - then that half is probably OK.

Open up backup2.
Now do the same, but take out the first half which is OK. The problem should then be in the remaining last half. If it is, then the same technique can be used again - split the remaining half and check which bit causes the issue.

You might have to do this splitting and testing of halves several times and eventually you might be able to narrow it down sufficiently to cure it!?

Whether it's worth it is over to you!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you. I will definately keep that in mind in future. Good advice, much appreciated.