Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Question about masking in ColorDirector
[Post New]
Is it able to mask let's say a moving object and place it in a different scene? Does it have a pen tool like Sony Vegas?

The mask designer in PowerDirector is ok but I need something that gives me more control. Is ColorDirector what I'm looking for?

Thanks
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, ColorDirector can do that,you have to create a "green screen" effect with your tracked data.
But I have to say:

1. The motion tracker is not very good. You need a good footage and/or a lot of patience to make a good motion tracking.

2. There is no function in ClorDirector to select an area and say: "Be that color", that must be done with a trick.

So if there is a trial version of ColorDirector, do a test, if it fits your need.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I made a liitle video demonstration to show, what I mean:

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote I made a liitle video demonstration to show, what I mean:

Hatti

Wow thanks a lot. That was really helpful.

After I make the green screen and import it into PowerDirector I can place any background or video where the green screen is?
[Post New]
Hello Mouhamad,

That's correct. With your green screen clip in Track 2 & your background clip in Track 1, you can apply chroma key to the green screen clip.

Another excellent demonstration Hatti, along the lines of Kyle 40's post here.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mouhamad,

That's correct. With your green screen clip in Track 2 & your background clip in Track 1, you can apply chroma key to the green screen clip.

PIX

That sounds good. I'll get the trial soon and test it out
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mouhamad,

PIX

Just one last question. Is there something more precise than motion tracking masks? Can I use keyframes instead?
Hatti
[Post New]
Motion tracking and keyframes are two different things.
If you adjust a mask between two frames, there will be set a keyframe and the differences of the masks of the two keyframed frames are calculated. I think, thats the point of your question. So the answer to your question is:
Yes, also in ColorDirector. That is what I meant by patience. You can use the selection mask. It is a freeform mask. And you can adjust the mask in every frame. That is really precise, but for 25fps, you will adjust the mask 25 times. For just one second of the clip. Uhhhh. The other way is to use the motion tracking mask. Where the mask gets incorrect or unprecise stop the tracking and adjust the mask. Or use the "one frame tracking"
All methods are very, very time consuming. Good luck.

[Post New]
Quote Motion tracking and keyframes are two different things.
If you adjust a mask between two frames, there will be set a keyframe and the differences of the masks of the two keyframed frames are calculated. I think, thats the point of your question. So the answer to your question is:
Yes, also in ColorDirector. That is what I meant by patience. You can use the selection mask. It is a freeform mask. And you can adjust the mask in every frame. That is really precise, but for 25fps, you will adjust the mask 25 times. For just one second of the clip. Uhhhh. The other way is to use the motion tracking mask. Where the mask gets incorrect or unprecise stop the tracking and adjust the mask. Or use the "one frame tracking"
All methods are very, very time consuming. Good luck.

Hatti

That is a good explanation, thanks.

Looks like it will be a challenge but I'm up for it

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2018 01:10