Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I remove duplicate photos ???
accuratejoe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2010 22:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
One of the reasons I bought the product was to orginze my photos and remove duplicates. How do I do this??
[Post New]
Hello accuratejoe,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum smile

Firstly, PhotoDirector will not even import any duplicate photos - unless they are named differently.

Once you've imported your photos, you can remove any of them you wish. Simply select a photo & press "Delete" on your keyboard. Then you'll have the option to remove it from your PhD library or send it to the recycle bin (remove it from your PC). Alternatively, right click on the photo & select "Delete".

Folders can be removed in the same way.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
6991 Williams Ferry Rd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2018 10:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I don;t think this answers the question. Removing ohotos and folders is easy. What the original poster is asking is a way to detect duplicates (I assume from file size/metadata), and remove them.

I am going through 61K photos right now, and thing this would also be fabulous.
Matt Dina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 25, 2018 13:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don;t think this answers the question. Removing ohotos and folders is easy. What the original poster is asking is a way to detect duplicates (I assume from file size/metadata), and remove them.

I am going through 61K photos right now, and thing this would also be fabulous.

Did you ever figure out a way to detect and remove duplicates?
[Post New]
6991 Williams Ferry Rd: You may be correct that my previous post did not answer the question.

If one has multiple copies of the same photo, each renamed, PhotoDirector does not detect them as duplicates. Adobe Lightroom does the same, as do other photo management applications

It would be possible to create Smart Collections by capture date or tags to gather duplicates together, if that was the sole purpose. I would think this is an unnecessarily complex way to do it, but it's possible.

It would be far easier to isolate duplicate photos in Window Explorer, sorting by capture date or file size, then removing duplicates from the equation.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2018 14:57

PIX YouTube channel
Matt Dina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 25, 2018 13:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 6991 Williams Ferry Rd: You may be correct that my previous post did not answer the question.

If one has multiple copies of the same photo, each renamed, PhotoDirector does not detect them as duplicates. Adobe Lightroom does the same, as do other photo management applications

It would be possible to create Smart Collections by capture date or tags to gather duplicates together, if that was the sole purpose. I would think this is an unnecessarily complex way to do it, but it's possible.

It would be far easier to isolate duplicate photos in Window Explorer, sorting by capture date or file size, then removing duplicates from the equation.

PIX

I was afraid that would be the answer. I used a cloud drive and it cloned all my pictures. Thank you.
[Post New]
Hello Matt Dina,

Something that may assist you, if the cloud service hasn't stripped EXIF data, is:

In Folder view (select folder in left panel) or within an Album, you can sort photos by capture date...

This would group duplicates together for easy removal.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
HPG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2012 22:45 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello accuratejoe,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum smile

Firstly, PhotoDirector will not even import any duplicate photos - unless they are named differently.

PIX

I've just upgraded to PD 10, and I find that it does import duplicate photos with the same file name. The older version had an option that filtered out duplicates and didn't import them, but I couldn't find this option in PD10. What am I doing wrong?
[Post New]
Hello HPG,

In the Import window, click on Advanced options & you’ll see what you think it is you’re missing laughing

PIX PIX YouTube channel
HPG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello HPG,

In the Import window, click on Advanced options & you’ll see what you think it is you’re missing laughing

PIX

Clearly I have two problems. One is eyesight: I can't for the life of me see the option to not import duplicates in the Advanced options. The other is basic intelligence, which I lack. I did a trial import and the duplicates I thought I found were actually photos that were in both a root folder and a subfolder of that root. So there were genuinely two versions of the photos on disc, but in different folders, so they looked as if they were duplicated in the PhotoDirector display. I've tried several more imports, and PD is not importing duplicates, just as you say it doesn't.

Sorry! I shall now retreat back into my hole in the ground and emerge when I've recovered from my embarrassment

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2018 15:05

[Post New]
Hello again HPG,

I must sincerely apologise to you. When I posted earlier, I was away from my computers & was relying on memory. There's nothing wrong with your eyesight, but there's something wrong with my memory. It failed me.

There is no such option under "Advanced". Is there any spare space in that hole? embarassed

I'm pleased you seem to have resolved it, despite my poor advice.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
HPG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX

No need to apologize! I'm just grateful for your very prompt responses. Glad we've solved the mystery (and yes, there's plenty of room down that hole).

It's very unusual for apps to lose features; usually they accrete them. So I'm guessing that the software designers came to the conclusion that nobody in their right mind would want to import duplicates, so they eliminated the checkbox because it was redundant.

Cheers
HPG