Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4K UHD-BD can't be played : SGX Error with i8100 (Kaby Lake) & Windows 10
ChristianG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2018 08:25 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Good evening,

I have set up my new HTPC with the goal of playing UHD-BD on my 4k TV. After hours of analysis and experiment, I must say that my project with PowerDVD 17 UHD-BD failed to play. The support, unfortunately, does not answer yet.

Software:

• PowerDVD 17 Ultra

• Windows 10 64 Bit Prof. with Kodi

• SGX installed

• Intel Management installed

• Newest graphics driver for the HD 630

• DVB Viewer Server

Hardware:

• Intel i3 8100 (8. generation)

• Gigabyte Z370N with SGX enabled in the Bios, 512 MB located Ram

• 128 GB Samsung SSD + 6 TB WD RED

• 8 GB DDR 4 RAM

• Digitial Devices 4x Sat Receiver

• Pioneer bdr-211ubk

(In my eyes the most expensive UHD-BD Player that doesn't work. The hardware and software is the from Cyberlink recommend hardware for UHD-BD.)

In the windows device manager I can see the SGX enabled and also the Intel tool says it is active.

I tried to

1. activate and deactivate the SGX setting in the bios, no affect

2. I installed the IME (Intel Management Engine) frim the Gigabyte page

3. I updated the graphics driver

4. I changed the graphics RAM settings in the Bios

5. I installed the PowerDVD 14 which is bundled with the BD-Drive

6. I checkt the SGX service in the windows/settings and it is running

7. I connected the HDMI port directly to the TV (before there was my Onky 646 in between)

8. I disabled the lan and connected the HTPC to a separate WIFI over my smartphone

9. I disabled the windows firewall

10. I reinstalled PowerDVD 17 Ultra

-> Result: I still get the same error message. Error code 21204 and E8814001

I have no idea to get the 4k movie running and I spent hours to search and try what I can. I assume that the problem is in the PowerDVD Software

Does anybody have an idea what I can do? Or is UHD-BD only a marketing gag and is running only in a laboratory environment?

Please help , Thanks!!!
Christian
[Thumb - Advisor.jpg]
 Filename
Advisor.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2018 04:37

ChristianG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Has anybody an idea which Intel Managment Engine I should install to remove the error that this isn't installed? I took now different Version from intel, ASUS, Gigabyte but the message stays. At the moment I have the original version from gigabyte https://www.gigabyte.com/de/Motherboard/Z370N-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl Intel Management Engine Interface [11.7.0.1054] 2017.11.30

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2018 04:35

Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Can you please reply with your support ticket number right away so we can pass it on and investigate?

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup
ChristianG [Avatar]
[Post New]
My support ticket number is CS001873213.

I receive the error code 21204 and E8814001. With E8814001 with Google I find nothing at the moment, what does this error mean?

Best regards
Christian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2018 04:33

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My support ticket number is CS001873213.

I receive the error code 21204 and E8814001. With E8814001 with Google I find nothing at the moment, what does this error mean?

Best regards
Christian

Did you try BIOS update from Gigabyte?
I found there is a new version BIOS F3 that released on 3/8 at Gigabyte page.
It also improves the graphics compatibility.
ChristianG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote My support ticket number is CS001873213.

Best regards
Christian

Did you try BIOS update from Gigabyte?
I found there is a new version BIOS F3 that released on 3/8 at Gigabyte page.
It also improves the graphics compatibility.

Hi, yes I tried the F2 and F3. No difference.
ghostaries [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 05:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue about that. Can anyone help how to solve it? Thank you~~
nilsman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Europe Joined: Jun 28, 2014 16:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here also.

I have spent quite a few hours trying to get this to work (have UHD blu ray working fine on a older Z170 AsRock board so I know how it's done).

I suspect it is related to the Gigabyte BIOS and Intel ME. Have tried all 3 BIOS versions available in combination with both Win 10 1703 and 1709. Have also tried endless combination of Intel ME, Intel SGX and Intel Graphics drivers. Nothing works and always the same error as posted above.

The only thing I might add is that HDCP 2.2 seems to be working with some combinations of all this but not all (I test this using Netflix 4K as that requires HDCP 2.2 and Advanced Protected Audio/Video). I have noted that Cyberlink UltraHD blu ray advisor is not reliable when it comes to HDCP 2.2/APAV. Sometimes it says HDCP 2.2 and/or APAV or "NO" but I still get Netflix 4K to work. Other times it is right.

Have logged a support case with Gigabyte so we will see what they say...

PS. Do you guys have these Errors in the Windows Event Viewer?

AESMService: Platform Services error

and

AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to Long Term Pairing failure

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 03. 2018 11:48

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
ASRock is fine on my end, too.

So, both of you got the same error on Gigabyte platforms?
Any motherboard model info can be shared with us here?

ghostaries?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2018 05:40

ChristianG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ASRock is fine on my end, too.

As in my initial post, the Gigabyte Z370N
nilsman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, same - Gigabyte Z370N WIFI (rev. 1.0)
nilsman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've got UHD blu ray working an Gigabyte Z370N now. But it was not easy...

A couple of things that I can suggest for those of you that do not get it working:

* I'm using F2 BIOS.
* Make sure you use Secure Boot + UEFI. I found this to be a bit tricky/unclear in the Z370N BIOS but it is doable. Also set the internal graphics memory as per cyberlink recommendation (I think it's 128 MB).
* I could not get it to work if I installed Windows 10 1703 and then upgraded to 1709 through Windows Update. In the end I had to create a new install USB with the latest Win 10 1709. This is probably because Windows Update "upgrades" SGX to the very latest version when upgrading Windows. And that version can then not be downgraded. But if you install 1709 directly and SGX separately it seems to not upgrade SGX from Windows Update.
After the fresh install of Windows 10 1709 I installed the following:
* Intel INF installation 10.1.1.45: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel_rs3.zip
* Critical ME firmware + software update: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_intel-me-critical-fw_B17.1218.1.zip
* Intel VGA Driver 23.20.16.4849: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_vga_intel_64_rs3.zip
Then set SGX in BIOS to "Enabled" in BIOS and installed:
* Intel® Software Guard Extensions Platform 1.9.100.41172: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_sgx_1.9.100.41172.zip
* PowerDVD version 14 (or 17)
Intel ME and SGX are still not working at this stage (even though they should) and you get the error above in PowerDVD. I had to also install this as a final step:
* Intel INF installation 10.1.17541.8066: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel_10.1.17541.8066.zip
And then Intel ME and SGX starts working and I could play UHD blu ray.

I'm not sure if these exact steps and drivers are necessary to get it working. But one thing is sure. You cannot install any combination of windows 10 version, drivers and BIOS version and get it to work. It might be a different combination of drivers (and install order) if you are using F1 or F3 BIOS or Windows 10 1703. Big thanks to MelonGx at bluray.com forum who shared the drivers he had working on his Z370N. That helped me narrow down a working combination on a new install.

I might do a fresh install in a few weeks to find out excatly what the problems are. If I find out more I'll post it here.
ghostaries [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 05:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ASRock is fine on my end, too.

ghostaries?

I use the ASUS Z170 Premium..But the same..Orz..
Duggyhow656 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2017 03:51 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, if anyone knows what drivers, ME, Bios works on the asrock Fatal1ty z220 gaming itx/ac board let me know. I have SGX and HDCP 2.2 not available on advisor. Would like to watch a 4K Blu-ray again. I updated things and it messed it up. Thanks a lot for any help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2018 19:28

Duggyhow656 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey all, I was able to fix my issues. I ended up downgrading to an earlier BIOS but the trick was resetting the CMOS instead of just doing default settings. I was told by Asrock that a resetting of CMOS wasn’t required but it did the trick. I didn’t know of anything else that helped. Just install whatever drivers they send you and Reset CMOS afterwards. Hope this helps.
Duggyhow656 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey all, the problem really lies in installing new video drivers for me. I had to reinstall the vga driver on the asrock site for the Z270 to work and I left the ME files the same. you also need to do the HDMI update also (1.66). Hope this helps.