Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do any decent tutorials for beginners exist?
strifemit [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 15, 2017 20:17 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

At the moment I think the software is crap! Let me modify this a little. The supporting material is crap and as a raw beginner the tutorials are rubbish. I try to work through them but I have the following issues:

They go too fast.
They talk technical which doesn’t work for beginners.
Even when PowerDirector 16 is stated the video doesn’t match my screen at times which means I get stuck.
Too much time is spent telling us about the product when we have already purchased
Stuff is continually marketed.
I feel as if there are a lot of people out there more interested in us registering or looking at their other videos.
I have been unable to find any tutorials that go at a sensible speed and take us through each step which can be followed because my screen is often different. I am struggling to find any that understand the process or rational behind a tutorial.
Tutorials say something is simple and yet it isn’t because it doesn’t work.

The best tutorial I found was about my Logitech C920 which was delivered extremely well and hence helped me solve my problem with setting it up.

I still can’t get my Logitec to work in PowerDirector and Cyberlink do not bother to respond.

I have had one bit of sarcasm from one person on the Forum and another helped me through one issue. Unfortunately a decent tutorial would have meant this wasn’t necessary.

Are there any decent tutorials that actually flow well at a reasonable pace for a beginner?

At the moment my gut is telling me it is a waste of time and maybe I should consider a refund.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi

At the moment I think the software is crap! Let me modify this a little. The supporting material is crap and as a raw beginner the tutorials are rubbish. I try to work through them but I have the following issues:

They go too fast.
Even when PowerDirector 16 is stated the video doesn’t match my screen at times which means I get stuck.
Too much time is spent telling us about the product when we have already purchased
I feel as if there are a lot of people out there more interested in us registering or looking at their other videos.
I have been unable to find any tutorials that go at a sensible speed and take us through each step which can be followed because my screen is often different. I am struggling to find any that understand the process or rational behind a tutorial.

The best tutorial I found was about my Logitech C920 which was delivered extremely well and hence helped me solve my problem with setting it up.

I still can’t get my Logitec to work in PowerDirector and Cyberlink do not bother to respond.

I have had one bit of sarcasm from one person on the Forum and another helped me through one issue. Unfortunately a decent tutorial would have meant this wasn’t necessary.

Are there any decent tutorials that actually flow well at a reasonable pace for a beginner?

At the moment my gut is telling me it is a waste of time and maybe I should consider a refund.
p

You are being very unfair with your comments. Please remember the vast majority of video tutorials are made by ordinary people like you and me for no reward except the satisfaction of knowing they have helped somebody. They make those tutorials for people like you who have very little experience with video editing. Yes, maybe they are quite fast and perhaps difficult to follow at times, but it is a complicated subject. Don't forget there is a pause button and a replay button too. So please try to understand why these videos are like they are.

You have also started many threads on the forum and you complain of scarcasm, but I read nothing in your post about the help that you have already received from the membership.

I learned all I know about PD from this forum and the decent people who use it. If there was something I was unsure of I experimented until I found out how to do it properly.

It's such a shame that Logitech doesn't create video editing programs.

Welcome to the world of video making

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2018 06:30

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi

They go too fast.

p

You are being very unfair with your comments. Please remember the vast majority of video tutorials are made by ordinary people like you and me for no reward except the satisfaction of knowing they have helped somebody. They make those tutorials for people like you who have very little experience with video editing. Yes, maybe they are quite fast and perhaps difficult to follow at times, but it is a complicated subject. Don't forget there is a pause button and a replay button too. So please try to understand why these videos are like they are.

You have also started many threads on the forum and you complain of scarcasm, but I read nothing in your post about the help that you have already received from the membership.

I learned all I know about PD from this forum and the decent people who use it. If there was something I was unsure of I experimented until I found out how to do it properly.

It's such a shame that Logitech doesn't create video editing programs.

Welcome to the world of video making

Robert

I understand how it works and if you are monitoring me you will have noticed I have thanked those that have helped. I purchased the software on the basis of stated excellent tutorials but that isn't the case. We are forced to make contact through the forum and it seems impossible to contact Cyberlink. The first half of my career was in IT and I reached a senior level so I have a reasonable appreciation of software. Not however video editing. I can follow tutorials and have been learning HTML and CSS and more. They make sense. I am interested in finding tutorials that go through the basic process from beginning to end using basic editing. Unfortunately what I have found so far are often wrong and when you are blind it is difficult to follow. I have watched loads of videos but I have had difficulty picking things up on PD. At the same time I watched a video which explained about the setup for the Logitech C920 and it was brilliant. Would be nice to fingd some videos on PowerDirector 16 at even half that level.

I do appreciate what the volunteers do althoug mainly it is a referral to tutorials which double up as marketing too. I did have one person who explained an issue for me and I thanked him. None of what he told me was in any of the tutorials I watched. At 70plus I don't have time to spend years learning the ropes.

Thank youu for your response ayway.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I have found these two YouTube channels to be extremely useful

The Sharper Turtle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a0_l0sZGJNO0FXqaCB4KA

PowerDirector University

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1NjLNgrF6yn_GINPcfrwQ

both are on these forums as well.

Regards

Phil
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have found these two YouTube channels to be extremely useful

The Sharper Turtle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a0_l0sZGJNO0FXqaCB4KA

PowerDirector University

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1NjLNgrF6yn_GINPcfrwQ

both are on these forums as well.

Regards

Phil

Thank you Phil - much appreciated. I'll work through the Sharper Turtle today and see how it goes. I have a problem with PowerDirector University. The guy is entertaining but too much time is wasted on marketing and you have to add the adverts that keep stepping in. I'll give them another go and see how it pans out. Thanks Phil.