Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
dell 3007 wfp display
schwam [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2006 19:44 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
my dell display is HDCP but the cyberlink diagnostic reports it as NOT HDCP and powerdvd 7.1 will not play hd dvd movies. any ideas out there how to get powerdvd to play hd dvd on the dell 3007???
thanks.
steven
Kai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2007 23:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Well I've got bad news for you; the claim of HDCP compliance on the Dell 3007WFP is dubious at best, because no one has yet figured out how to get HDCP to work over a dual-link DVI connection.

Given the tiny installed base of 2560x1600 displays, and the display card vendors being dedicated 100% to getting Vista drivers working properly, I don't think we'll see this issue even hit their radar for quite a while yet. If it's even possible, I would expect HDCP working with dual link displays by maybe late fall 07.
schwam [Avatar]
[Post New]
if what you say is true, it sounds like Dell is falsely advertising their 3007 30 inch Display as HDCP complaint. And tech support at Cyberlink seems to then also be deceitful because they told me yesterday that the Dell 30 inch moniter is HDCP compaint and will show HD-DVD movies using PowerDVD 7.1
I'll let you know what happens when i trouble shoot my system with them.
Bell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2007 18:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem with my 23 lg monitor, which was connected through dvi from my desktop pc with a x1900 card. Basically it said my monitor was not hdcp compatible which prevented playback. As my graphics card was dual dvi (with no vga output) I connected via a dvi from my pc to a a dvd-to-vga adapter which i found in my graphics card box. Apparently connected through the non digital vga enabled me to use powerdvd ultra on this particular pc (my monitor was never bought as being hdcp compatible so this was bonus)
schwam [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem with my 23 lg monitor, which was connected through dvi from my desktop pc with a x1900 card. Basically it said my monitor was not hdcp compatible which prevented playback. As my graphics card was dual dvi (with no vga output) I connected via a dvi from my pc to a a dvd-to-vga adapter which i found in my graphics card box. Apparently connected through the non digital vga enabled me to use powerdvd ultra on this particular pc (my monitor was never bought as being hdcp compatible so this was bonus)

the problem with using vga connections (besides that my graphics card and display do not have vga ports) is that i don't think you will get 1080p resolution which is really the purpose of watching Hd DVD movies. Hopefully, there is some workaround for the Dell 3007, especially since it is advertised by Dell as being HDCP compliant.
Whiggles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2007 10:42 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem with my Sony MFM-HT205 display. The Cyberlink advisor lists both my graphics card (Radeon X1950 Pro) and driver (8.321.0.0) as being fine, but tells me my display connection type is not HDCP. This is wrong: I know for a fact that the display is HDCP-compliant. In fact, on my previous video card, an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT, all three were checked green, including the same display that, with the Radeon, is now red. This suggests to me that there is some problem with ATI's drivers, since while they themselves seem to be HDCP compliant they don't appear to be sending an HDCP signal to the monitor (or something like that).
schwam [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'm having the same problem with my Sony MFM-HT205 display. The Cyberlink advisor lists both my graphics card (Radeon X1950 Pro) and driver (8.321.0.0) as being fine, but tells me my display connection type is not HDCP. This is wrong: I know for a fact that the display is HDCP-compliant. In fact, on my previous video card, an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT, all three were checked green, including the same display that, with the Radeon, is now red. This suggests to me that there is some problem with ATI's drivers, since while they themselves seem to be HDCP compliant they don't appear to be sending an HDCP signal to the monitor (or something like that).

it seems to me it is more a problem with the PowerDVD software and the way it is "reading" HDCP compliance. I am using a Geforce 7600 GT card and the monitor still comes up as not HDCP compliant. PowerDVD does not initialize because it "sees" the monitor as not compliant. anyway, cyberlink needs to refund the money for powerdvd ultra to those that can not get it to work properly. hopefully, they will have a fix soon. So, have you gotten HdDVD's to play on your system?
Whiggles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: it seems to me it is more a problem with the PowerDVD software and the way it is "reading" HDCP compliance. I am using a Geforce 7600 GT card and the monitor still comes up as not HDCP compliant. PowerDVD does not initialize because it "sees" the monitor as not compliant. anyway, cyberlink needs to refund the money for powerdvd ultra to those that can not get it to work properly. hopefully, they will have a fix soon. So, have you gotten HdDVD's to play on your system?

I don't actually have an HD DVD drive yet - I'm waiting for my Xbox 360 add-on to be delivered and will be using it - but the fact that the advisor is reporting my display as non-HDCP it sounds as if I'm going to be out of luck. What makes it doubly annoying is that I've also paid for an Xbox 360 add-on that I won't be able to return (I sourced it on eBay).

This whole HDCP situation really is completely ridiculous. Once again it's the honest customers who pay for their movies and software that are getting screwed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2007 11:31

schwam [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: it seems to me it is more a problem with the PowerDVD software and the way it is "reading" HDCP compliance. I am using a Geforce 7600 GT card and the monitor still comes up as not HDCP compliant. PowerDVD does not initialize because it "sees" the monitor as not compliant. anyway, cyberlink needs to refund the money for powerdvd ultra to those that can not get it to work properly. hopefully, they will have a fix soon. So, have you gotten HdDVD's to play on your system?

I don't actually have an HD DVD drive yet - I'm waiting for my Xbox 360 add-on to be delivered and will be using it - but the fact that the advisor is reporting my display as non-HDCP it sounds as if I'm going to be out of luck. What makes it doubly annoying is that I've also paid for an Xbox 360 add-on that I won't be able to return (I sourced it on eBay).

This whole HDCP situation really is completely ridiculous. Once again it's the honest customers who pay for their movies and software that are getting screwed.

i agree. it appears that some greedy media moguls have created a rather complex anti-copy system at the expense of reliability and consumer convenience. have no fear though, the bugs will be worked out of HDCP, and the hackers will defeat the copy protection. Actually, someone has already posted on the net a very promising possible defeat of the HD DVD protections. http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/
Whiggles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I got my 360 add-on today, and predictably enough it wouldn't allow me to play anything over DVI, telling me that my display is not HDCP compliant when it most certainly is. Ironically enough, if I connect it via VGA it plays - which is pretty funny given that I thought the whole point of HDCP was to lock out "unsafe" analogue connections and allow those with digital connections to view the encrypted material. At this stage I don't know whether to blame Cyberlink or my video card manufacturer: all of my devices are supposed to be HDCP-compliant, but PowerDVD and the Adviser program both claim that the monitor isn't. Either way I'm extremely frustrated. Add to that the fact that Cyberlink have disabled screen capture for HD content (what do they think we're going to do, pirate movies by pressing PrintScreening every single frame? ), and I've just frittered away a considerable amount of money - monitor, video card, HD DVD add-on, PowerDVD - for no good reason.

Oh yeah, and at least two of my discs won't play.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2007 10:49

schwam [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well, I got my 360 add-on today, and predictably enough it wouldn't allow me to play anything over DVI, telling me that my display is not HDCP compliant when it most certainly is. Ironically enough, if I connect it via VGA it plays - which is pretty funny given that I thought the whole point of HDCP was to lock out "unsafe" analogue connections and allow those with digital connections to view the encrypted material. At this stage I don't know whether to blame Cyberlink or my video card manufacturer: all of my devices are supposed to be HDCP-compliant, but PowerDVD and the Adviser program both claim that the monitor isn't. Either way I'm extremely frustrated. Add to that the fact that Cyberlink have disabled screen capture for HD content (what do they think we're going to do, pirate movies by pressing PrintScreening every single frame? ), and I've just frittered away a considerable amount of money - monitor, video card, HD DVD add-on, PowerDVD - for no good reason.

i had the same problem with my monitor, dell 3007, being incorrectly read by PowerDVD as not HDCP complaint. It seems to me that the problem must be with PoweDVD or else several monitor/video card manufacturers are screwing up HDCP.
The purpose of HDCP is to prevent copying of media content (movies) thru a high resolution digital output, HDMI or DVI. HDCP allows the VGA connection playback because it is a much lower resolution that will not support burning a hi def copy. This whole mess is about the movie industry protecting every penny they can!

Whiggles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
The purpose of HDCP is to prevent copying of media content (movies) thru a high resolution digital output, HDMI or DVI. HDCP allows the VGA connection playback because it is a much lower resolution that will not support burning a hi def copy. This whole mess is about the movie industry protecting every penny they can!

Yes, but ironically I can get my HD DVDs to play back at full 1920x1080 resolution via VGA!
schwam [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but ironically I can get my HD DVDs to play back at full 1920x1080 resolution via VGA!

i don't think the playback is at 1080p thru VGA since that is carried only by HDMI/DVI. you maybe watching in full screen mode but it is not 1080p.
Whiggles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: i don't think the playback is at 1080p thru VGA since that is carried only by HDMI/DVI. you maybe watching in full screen mode but it is not 1080p.

I'm fairly sure it is 1080p. I can set my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 (or higher), which sends a progressive scan signal in that resolution to my CRT. Not ideal, but there's definitely no downscaling going on.
Kai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2007 23:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The other posters in this thread are NOT having the same problem as schwam.

Schwam has a dual-LINK DVI display, that means it's using both channels of the DVI cable. That's completely different from "dual DVI" which means two DVI connectors.

Dual-link DVI is ONLY used for resolutions greater than 1900x1200. The only displays in the world that require dual-link DVI are the 30" panels with 2560x1600 resolution from Dell, Samsung and Apple.

If you have some other monitor you may have issues with HDCP but they aren't the same cause as schwam's. The problem with the dual LINK displays is that HDCP doesn't work over dual link.

The reason some of you are able to bypass the HDCP compliance test by using RGB output is because RGB analog is exempt from the copy-protection rules due to the huge installed-base of RGB analog computer monitors. The rules only apply to DVI/HDMI digital and YPbPr Component analog.

Owners of 2560x1600 dual-link displays such as schwam and myself do NOT have this option, because these monitors ONLY accept DVI input. They have no analog inputs whatsoever.
Gabe Newell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2007 18:39 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I also have the 8800/3007/XBox 360 HD DVD drive configuration.

I also specifically purchased PowerDVD Ultra to play HD DVDs.

I also am not getting this to work.