Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Atomos Codec Problem
Jan Del Ray [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Vienna Joined: May 08, 2016 07:30 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I hope that who can help me with my problem.

Have short for my GH5 an external recorder from Atomos worried. Powerdirector can handle neither ProRes nor DNxHR, is there another solution to the problem?

Thanks for your help
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector is not so professional, that it supports those formats.
You are right, PowerDirector cannot handle with ProRes or DNxHR, or even footage better than YUV 4:2:0
You have to convert your footage first.
The most recommended transcoder is handbrake, but I don't know, if it can handle with DNxHR footage.
My favorite is always ffmpeg, but it is commandline driven.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Jan Del Ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the PD does not support this format is annoying, just so that no 10bit can be processed. Unfortunately, the program mentioned by them can convert the files.
Does not have to be free software, maybe who knows another program, or what else do people with what an Atomos recorder?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PowerDirector is not so professional, that it supports those formats.
You are right, PowerDirector cannot handle with ProRes or DNxHR, or even footage better than YUV 4:2:0
You have to convert your footage first.
The most recommended transcoder is handbrake, but I don't know, if it can handle with DNxHR footage.
My favorite is always ffmpeg, but it is commandline driven.Hatti
PD can use UT422 (YUV) video so there are some formats that work, but not sure any are hiDef. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to do really professional filming, 10 or more bit, yuv4:4:4 and vlog, then I have to admit, PowerDirector is not the right editor for you. You have to convert your footage to a lossy format and loose much information prior to editing.
There are professional editors on the market, Adobe Premiere as the first to mention, or DaVinci Resolve, or GrassValley Edius, or (I think, really new in the streets) HitFilm.

Have a try and good luck.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Jan Del Ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
yes that was already aware that PD has its weaknesses, only I would now reluctantly change after years of use.

Maybe the 10bit should come sometime so you can live and other restrictions, so pro I'm now synonymous not.
But that the free version of Davinci can handle the Dnxhd codec annoys me then a bit.

In this respect, PD has a lot of work to do to update it and not just bring it back with the next version.

Thanks for answer.