Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adding Transitions
strifemit [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 15, 2017 20:17 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
Videos I watch say just click on a transition and put it in your timeline. I have one video that I want to test various transitions to see which work best. All the videos I have watched so far say easy. Just click on it and drag it to your timeline. But that doesn't work. I think I have to split the video or cut it and then add the transition. Is this correct? Is there a tutorial that explains things correctly for me to follow?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's right -

A transition can only be placed:

1. where 2 clips butt up to each other

2. at the start or end of a clip

A transition cannot be placed:

1. in the middle of a clip that hasn't been split

2. somewhere out on its own in the timeline!

3. where there's the slightest gap between two clips (e.g. 1 frame)

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's right -

Cheers - Tony

Thank you. Absolutely perfect. All the tutorials I have watched didn't tell me that and yet it is obviously so basically clear. Much appreciated.
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's right -

Cheers - Tony

Well I added a video and then split it into several videos. Could cut because the cut option didn't show. I am working through the transitions to see what I like but why do some work and some don't? Why do some work and then place them on another section they don't.

Is it a problem because I recorded a video and then split it in several places so I could break it up? Do I have to record the video in shorter pieces which seems silly because then why have an editor?

Help please.
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's right -

Cheers - Tony

Well I added a video and then split it into several videos. Could cut because the cut option didn't show. I am working through the transitions to see what I like but why do some work and some don't? Why do some work and then place them on another section they don't.

Is it a problem because I recorded a video and then split it in several places so I could break it up? Do I have to record the video in shorter pieces which seems silly because then why have an editor?

Help please.

When placing a transition move slow. When you grab the transition and move it down to the video on the time line make sure to pause for a couple secs and then release the mouse the button. I noticed on slowler computers if you move to quick it does not work. PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
And have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISisIcMZ-9F9UDRBPRWdYg" target="_new" rel="nofollow"> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISisIcMZ-9F9UDRBPRWdYg

and

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a0_l0sZGJNO0FXqaCB4KA

and

https://www.youtube.com/user/vigor2001/featured

and maybe many more.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's right -

Cheers - Tony

Help please.

When placing a transition move slow. When you grab the transition and move it down to the video on the time line make sure to pause for a couple secs and then release the mouse the button. I noticed on slowler computers if you move to quick it does not work.

I have a very fast HP Envy with 16GB Ram. Everything else works fine. Now I understand that it must be before the split or after the split but it can't be onn the split which is the obvious place if you want to transition from one to the other. I can make that work and it seems it will be easier for me to make separate videos up to each break point. I can do that.

No video I have watched makes this very clear. I am interested in seeing a video that goes through the whole process of creating a video from A to Z and use all the basic functions while doing it. I want to see where each function fits in and how it works. This would make it a lot easier rather than a million videos each highlighting one function, especially as an amateur video creator. I often have no idea what some of these things do and in any case they go so fast as if talking to experienced people.

The first part of my career was in IT, so I am fairly computer literate but completely illiterate when creating and editing videos.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -

I can't quite follow what you're up to with transitions. i.e. what's working for you & what's not.

Maybe there's something in this short annotated screen capture (not a tutorial) that will help you.

Hope it helps somehow.

Cheers - Tony
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi again -

I can't quite follow what you're up to with transitions. i.e. what's working for you & what's not.

Maybe there's something in this short annotated screen capture (not a tutorial) that will help you.

Hope it helps somehow.

Cheers - Tony

Tony that is great. I'll go through it a few more times to get clear on it. Placing at the end or the beginning is working and so I can workk with that plus all the editing you showed me which is great. Thank you.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Do you have your transition preferences set to Overlap or Cross type? They look different on the timeline & behave differently in playback.

Glad the screen capture was of some help.

Cheers - Tony
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Hatti,

Thanks for including the Sharper Turtle in your recommendation links. laughing I appreciate it!