Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How does one do a "Walk by" transition using Director Suite 6.
Terry Lee Martin
Newbie Location: Seattle Joined: Mar 11, 2018 23:22 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know what it is called in Power Director. I just came over from Premiere Pro, and I'm attempting to do a transition in this new Power Director environment, as I've done in Premiere Pro, and over there we called it a "Walk by." The basic idea is you take some video in which someone walks by in front of your camera from either right to left or left to right. In front of the person is the scene they are walking in. Behind the person is a totally new scene alltogether. Obviously it is done with masks, and I know how to do that in Adobe, but not using Director Suite 6.

I've been looking for a tutorial on how to do it, but I'm not having much luck. Maybe if I knew what Power Director calls this type of transition I'd have better luck. Is anyone able to help? Complexity is primarily an illusion. It disappears with Knowledge.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that you can achieve this with the ColorDirector motion mask frame by frame and then inverting it. It should work. Have not tried it yet as a walk by transition.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Doesn't one of the Pixelan plug-ins have modifiable transitions? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Alain II [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 20, 2015 01:34 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know what it is called in Power Director. I just came over from Premiere Pro, and I'm attempting to do a transition in this new Power Director environment, as I've done in Premiere Pro, and over there we called it a "Walk by." The basic idea is you take some video in which someone walks by in front of your camera from either right to left or left to right. In front of the person is the scene they are walking in. Behind the person is a totally new scene alltogether. Obviously it is done with masks, and I know how to do that in Adobe, but not using Director Suite 6.

I've been looking for a tutorial on how to do it, but I'm not having much luck. Maybe if I knew what Power Director calls this type of transition I'd have better luck. Is anyone able to help?

Hello,

The "walk by" transition like this one in Premiere can be done with CDR. You will use the "selection mask" instead of the "motion mask" unless the subject/object used to do the transition is having a very good clear contour. With the selection mask, as you know from Premiere, the beziers dots play the role and each image selection mask will need to be calibrated just like in this example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6r6UX5gWsw of Premiere. But ColorDirector is essential and filming on a tripod gets the best results.

Success.

Alain II
Terry Lee Martin
[Post New]
Quote I believe that you can achieve this with the ColorDirector motion mask frame by frame and then inverting it. It should work. Have not tried it yet as a walk by transition.

Hello,
I've been able to create the multiple frame masks within color Director, but I can't figure out how to invert them. Is that process done within ColorDirector, or after you hit the "Back" button to take you back into Power Director? I couldn't find any reference to inverting in either Color or Power Director. Complexity is primarily an illusion. It disappears with Knowledge.
Terry Lee Martin
[Post New]
Quote I don't know what it is called in Power Director. I just came over from Premiere Pro, and I'm attempting to do a transition in this new Power Director environment, as I've done in Premiere Pro, and over there we called it a "Walk by." The basic idea is you take some video in which someone walks by in front of your camera from either right to left or left to right. In front of the person is the scene they are walking in. Behind the person is a totally new scene alltogether. Obviously it is done with masks, and I know how to do that in Adobe, but not using Director Suite 6.

I've been looking for a tutorial on how to do it, but I'm not having much luck. Maybe if I knew what Power Director calls this type of transition I'd have better luck. Is anyone able to help?

Hello,

The "walk by" transition like this one in Premiere can be done with CDR. You will use the "selection mask" instead of the "motion mask" unless the subject/object used to do the transition is having a very good clear contour. With the selection mask, as you know from Premiere, the beziers dots play the role and each image selection mask will need to be calibrated just like in this example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6r6UX5gWsw of Premiere. But ColorDirector is essential and filming on a tripod gets the best results.

Success.

Alain II

I've been able to successfully make masks on the many frames needed, within Color Director. I don't know what to do with the clip after I've made all of the frame by frame masks. I took it back into Power Director, but no masking appears to have been done at all. I've heard the clip needs to be inverted after all the frame by frame masks have been created, but I can't figure out how to invert them. There doesn't seem to be any reference to inverting at all. Complexity is primarily an illusion. It disappears with Knowledge.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Isn't that the button?
Have a look:

Hatti
 Filename
Zwischenablage01.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Terry Lee Martin
[Post New]
Quote Isn't that the button?
Have a look:

Hatti

It most certainly is Hatti. Thank you very much. I thought I had pressed every button and read every drop down menu, and obviously missed this one.

It is now up to me to learn how to use the masks in this software to accomplish the effect I’m trying to achieve. I’ve done it in Adobe Premiere Pro, and it should be similar with Power Director.

Thanks again. Complexity is primarily an illusion. It disappears with Knowledge.