Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
basic editing for creating rushes without loosing original file format/quality
Paddyzen [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tasmania Australia Joined: May 02, 2017 01:37 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
HI I have just shot some pretty amazing interviews with men around emotional wellbeing. I want to just clean the material up a bit, clip here and there to show some rushes of material. Can I do that in power director without losing original file quality?I shot the material with canon 70d in HD. .mov
If yes please explain how. If no what programme should I use? Thanks in anticipation. Paddy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2018 20:46

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Paddy -

Even though you can't produce to a .MOV container in PDR, you can still retain (close to) the original quality in your rushes video.

The first thing to establish is the exact properties of the recorded videos. e.g. this is one clip from a 70D
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 29.97fps
Video bitrate: 88.9Mbps
Format: AVC H.264 High@5.1
Audio: PCM @ 1536kb/s

So to match that as closely as possible, you could customise a profile. First go to Produce & click "Intelligent SVRT". PDR will suggest a profile. It'll probably be MP4. You could apply that profile (give it a custom name) & you'll be pretty close to original quality.

The downside of MP4 is you'll lose the PCM audio. To retain that, chosee AVC H.264 - either M2TS or MKV.

Best thing to do is give it a shot and see if you're happy with it.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Paddyzen [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tasmania Australia Joined: May 02, 2017 01:37 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote G'day Paddy -

Even though you can't produce to a .MOV container in PDR, you can still retain (close to) the original quality in your rushes video.

The first thing to establish is the exact properties of the recorded videos. e.g. this is one clip from a 70D
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 29.97fps
Video bitrate: 88.9Mbps
Format: AVC H.264 High@5.1
Audio: PCM @ 1536kb/s

So to match that as closely as possible, you could customise a profile. First go to Produce & click "Intelligent SVRT". PDR will suggest a profile. It'll probably be MP4. You could apply that profile (give it a custom name) & you'll be pretty close to original quality.

The downside of MP4 is you'll lose the PCM audio. To retain that, chosee AVC H.264 - either M2TS or MKV.

Best thing to do is give it a shot and see if you're happy with it.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony I will have a look at that. I just found that the windows photo app can do basic clips on original file format and keep its integrity. So that might work. Good to hear from you. Paddy
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Paddy -

Thanks for the "enlightenment" laughing I had no idea Microsoft Photos could do such a thing!

I've now explored it fairly thoroughly & it's quite amazing what it can do with video... trim, combine, slo-mo, draw on, add effects etc. I had no idea!

BUT - for your purposes of maintaining maximum quality - I wouldn't recommend it. A few things happened in my testing that make me say that... mainly to do with video bitrate.

1. Imported a .MOV clip from Canon 70D, 1920x1080/30p @ 87.3Mbps - trimmed it and saved a copy. There were no options for output quality. Resolution & frame rate were retained, but bitrate dropped to 27.8Mbps. MediaInfo attached.

2. The only output option is MP4, so you get AAC audio.

3. Used the "Create a video" feature to combine a number of clips (all from Canon 70D) & exported to the maximum quality (Large). The original video bitrates were all ~30Mbps. The rendered file from Photos dropped to 11.6Mbps. Side-by-side MediaInfo attached.

I only mentioned all that because your original question was: "Can I do that in power director without losing original file quality?"

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Combined videos rendered - Photos-PDR15.png]
 Filename
Combined videos rendered - Photos-PDR15.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
[Thumb - Photos_Trim MediaInfo.png]
 Filename
Photos_Trim MediaInfo.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Paddyzen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Paddy -

Thanks for the "enlightenment" laughing I had no idea Microsoft Photos could do such a thing!

I've now explored it fairly thoroughly & it's quite amazing what it can do with video... trim, combine, slo-mo, draw on, add effects etc. I had no idea!

BUT - for your purposes of maintaining maximum quality - I wouldn't recommend it. A few things happened in my testing that make me say that... mainly to do with video bitrate.

1. Imported a .MOV clip from Canon 70D, 1920x1080/30p @ 87.3Mbps - trimmed it and saved a copy. There were no options for output quality. Resolution & frame rate were retained, but bitrate dropped to 27.8Mbps. MediaInfo attached.

2. The only output option is MP4, so you get AAC audio.

3. Used the "Create a video" feature to combine a number of clips (all from Canon 70D) & exported to the maximum quality (Large). The original video bitrates were all ~30Mbps. The rendered file from Photos dropped to 11.6Mbps. Side-by-side MediaInfo attached.

I only mentioned all that because your original question was: "Can I do that in power director without losing original file quality?"

Cheers - Tony

Hi Thanks Tony, for such a simple thing it is all so complex thanks for checking it out. Its amazing that there seems to be no software that allows clipping and keeping original file format integrity. Paddy