Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 16 Producing a PSP file when I'm not asking it to
JASKJosh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2018 14:39 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Anyone have any ideas? I'm just trying to figure this program out at this point.

When I upload the video to my hosting site, the quality is terrible. I finally chatted with the hosting site and they told me the format was PSP even though I'm not selecting anything like that.

No matter how high of quality I make it (and it looks great on my computer), when I upload it, it's awful.

Any ideas are really appreciated!

It's my first post here so not exactly sure if my attachments auto show or not, but I've included 2 screen caps of my PowerDirector Produce settings and 1 screen cap of the file format of the produced video.

Version 16.0.2313.0000
SR number VDE171117-02
Windows 10

I'll add system specs if it will help.
[Thumb - Video Info.PNG]
 Filename
Video Info.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - Quality Profile Setup.PNG]
 Filename
Quality Profile Setup.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Produce Choices.PNG]
 Filename
Produce Choices.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
It is not the case, that you have produced a video clip for the Sony PSP, it's just a description of a format profile -> it should be compatible to Sony PSP also. I tested some of my videos, they all have the same Sony PSP profile. Why it is the Sony profile? I don't know. The other specs look good, the video clip should be of very good quality (It is the size: Full HD, the framerate: 60fps, and the bitrate: 40MBit/s).
The only idea that I have is, that the hoster reencodes the clip. Youtube does so. So if you upload a clip to youtube and you watch it, you will run away, but after some time, Youtube will have reencoded the clip to all the supported resolutions for mobile phones up to 4K Smart TV, then the appropiate resolution will be loaded if you play the clip. Then it will look good.
Maybe your hoster does the same?
So wait an hour and then look again.
If the video quality on your computer is good (and with those specs, it should be) and your hoster offers only horrible quality, change the hoster.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
JASKJosh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It is not the case, that you have produced a video clip for the Sony PSP, it's just a description of a format profile -> it should be compatible to Sony PSP also. I tested some of my videos, they all have the same Sony PSP profile. Why it is the Sony profile? I don't know. The other specs look good, the video clip should be of very good quality (It is the size: Full HD, the framerate: 60fps, and the bitrate: 40MBit/s).
The only idea that I have is, that the hoster reencodes the clip. Youtube does so. So if you upload a clip to youtube and you watch it, you will run away, but after some time, Youtube will have reencoded the clip to all the supported resolutions for mobile phones up to 4K Smart TV, then the appropiate resolution will be loaded if you play the clip. Then it will look good.
Maybe your hoster does the same?
So wait an hour and then look again.
If the video quality on your computer is good (and with those specs, it should be) and your hoster offers only horrible quality, change the hoster.

Hatti

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately these are all things that I thought as well but I appreciate the confirmation! I believe this particular hoster does the reencoding at the time of upload and the video isn't available until it's complete (there is an uploading status bar that completes then another status bar that is doind this I think).

The problem is that I had someone else producing these for me off a Mac and they look fine on this hosting site. We've used them for a couple years now.

Here are a couple examples:

The Good -- https://seiclonesurveys.vids.io/videos/489adfb71c1ee3c5c0/6595-south-shore-drive-altoona-wi
The Bad -- https://seiclonesurveys.vids.io/videos/1c9adfb41c19e6cd94/testing-h264-normal-mp4

And this is from the chat I had with the hosting site:
Tom Pagut: For some reason this video is showing: "Format": "MPEG-4", "Format_profile": "Sony PSP", "Codec_ID": "MSNV",
Tom Pagut: The older videos appear with: "Format": "MPEG-4", "Format_profile": "Base Media", "Codec_ID": "isom",

I'm aware of but not familiar with Codecs at this point but I'm not thinking I have any choice in that.

The only other choices I've been flipping back and forth are entropy coding, use deblocking, use dynamic GOP (which I do need to do more research on but frustration levels are quite high at this point).

He also suggested using one of the Adobe products which I'm trying to avoid...
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
The second (bad quality) video is 'private' so I cannot see it.
I still think, it has nothing to do with the format profile. But to be sure you can convert a video clip for testing reasons with an encoding programm, like handbrake. Its free and you can see, what format profile it supports.
Other idea: how do you upload. Is tehre a special programm that can recode the video while uploading in order to save bandwith? So maybe try an other upload method.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
JASKJosh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The second (bad quality) video is 'private' so I cannot see it.
I still think, it has nothing to do with the format profile. But to be sure you can convert a video clip for testing reasons with an encoding programm, like handbrake. Its free and you can see, what format profile it supports.
Other idea: how do you upload. Is tehre a special programm that can recode the video while uploading in order to save bandwith? So maybe try an other upload method.

Hatti

It's public now. I will try handbrake and see how that goes.

I have uploaded through their site (like my predecessor). I tried Miro Video Converter (which they recommended on their site) but maybe I'll look in to that avenue a bit more too.

Thanks Hatti!!
Hatti
[Post New]
Yes. Horribly reduced Bitrate. I think, the Miro Video Converter does that to reduce bandwith.
Have a close look at it.
Good luck.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JASKJosh -

There are lots of factors at play here, as Hatti has pointed out.

It is a mistake, I think, to try to pin the whole cause on the use of a particular format profile (Sony PSP). How the hosting website processes the video is a huge factor. Your contact (Tom Pagut) seems to be eliminating this from the equation.

e.g. the video you labelled as "good" has a number of sections where the image is broken up... and I doubt whether they'd have been that way before upload. Have a look at the bit between 00:03 & 00:10... the trees & roofline.

Could you post the full MediaInfo report of one of the videos that you'd regard as "good"? (I guess, rendered on the Mac)

Personally, I wouldn't be doing any conversion. It's simply adding more variables. Have you tried producing to AVC H.265 M2TS, rather than MP4?

Here's a zip file containing 3 short videos. The original files were UHD .MOV shot on DJI Phantom. In PDR16, I produced to H.264 MP4 1080p, using both High 4.1 & Baseline profiles & H.264 M2TS 1080p. You might want to see whether any look OK on the hosting site.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JASKJosh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi JASKJosh -

There are lots of factors at play here, as Hatti has pointed out.

It is a mistake, I think, to try to pin the whole cause on the use of a particular format profile (Sony PSP). How the hosting website processes the video is a huge factor. Your contact (Tom Pagut) seems to be eliminating this from the equation.

e.g. the video you labelled as "good" has a number of sections where the image is broken up... and I doubt whether they'd have been that way before upload. Have a look at the bit between 00:03 & 00:10... the trees & roofline.

Could you post the full MediaInfo report of one of the videos that you'd regard as "good"? (I guess, rendered on the Mac)

Personally, I wouldn't be doing any conversion. It's simply adding more variables. Have you tried producing to AVC H.265 M2TS, rather than MP4?

Here's a zip file containing 3 short videos. The original files were UHD .MOV shot on DJI Phantom. In PDR16, I produced to H.264 MP4 1080p, using both High 4.1 & Baseline profiles & H.264 M2TS 1080p. You might want to see whether any look OK on the hosting site.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony! I completely agree that it is a huge factor in how the hosting site processes my upload. My situation is that someone else uses this same account on the hosting site so in the end, my raw footage is the same and the hosting site is the same, it's the part in the middle I'm trying to make work. The someone else will continue doing his part when he returns from vacation and I will continue doing my own videos from that point forward. I can't upset the apple cart at this point.

I also agree that the hosting site product isn't perfect but it is a lot better than what I've been able to get up there so far. I'm merely trying to get to that quality level. The quality on my computer when I export is fine (better than anything up on the hosting site), it's just a matter of getting it in to a format that will work as described as what I'm doing at this point is unacceptable. In Tom Pagut's defense, I only posted a small part of our conversation that dealt with the difference we could see between what the other guy was doing and what I was doing figuring that is the path of least resistance to get our goal accomplished.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the files he uploaded previously. I'm assuming he still uses a Mac but I've always sent him my raw footage and he's uploaded the final product. I've attached a MediaInfo report of what I download back off the hosting site with the HD option selected.

I've tried many, MANY different export options with basically the same results. At this point I'm beginning to question the project setup in some way but I just don't see that many options besides setting up the frame rate. I shoot in 60 and I've tried setting the project up in 60 and exporting in 30 or 60 and then setting it up in 30 and exporting it in 30.

With all that being said, I'm brand spanking new at this and my head is spinning a bit. Your videos look of the "good" quality or maybe "good enough" is a better description of the hosting site's end results:
https://seiclonesurveys.vids.io/videos/d49adfb41f1be7c75c/h-264-test1-mp4
All 3 were similar in quality on the hosting site.

I will check out the settings on yours and see what I can do to mimic and learn from that. If yours came straight out of PowerDirector 16, then it is possible for me to do the same. Just not getting something quite right yet...

I really appreciate the help!!
 Filename
6595 South Shore Dr Altoona WI.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
135 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -

Yes - it's a lot to get your head around. Don't worry - we all wrestle with the same sort of thing, whether it's for business or just sharing. It's just a fact that video hosting sites will process the video so that it plays back well on all devices.

e.g. I uploaded that same MP4 to YouTube & the 30Mbps video bitrate was killed off to less than 5Mbps. That's one of the things that causes the shimmering in trees & rooftops.

Just for comparison, here's a combined screenshot showing the opening frame as it appears:

1. in the produced file here

2. on your video hosting site

3. on YouTube

4. on Vimeo

It was going to be attached but the forum didn't like it.

I understand you're not solely responsible for choices, but I think I'd be talking with that "someone else" to maybe consider different options.

Yes - the 3 videos I zipped came straight out of PDR16. The profiles were only slightly customised.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!