Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Temporary Multicam Audio Source
bcf1ca [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 18:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hello
I am evaluating PD16 with particular focus on multicam editing. I frequently shoot theatre productions; since there are long scenes in a typical production, my cameras produce multiple files as the maximum file size is reached. The problem is that when one file ends and the next one starts, there is a slight gap in both the video and audio, making it necessary to temporarily switch to a second camera to get the action during the gap.

I usually shoot with 2 cameras; camera 1's footage is to be the main audio source. Camera 2 is a static long shot camera that I I want to switch to when the footage (call it File 1) from camera 1 ends and resumes (File 2). In the editor I'm using now, (Magix VideoPro X), I would simply switch to Camera 2 shortly before Camera 1's File 1 ends and use Camera 2's video AND audio to cover the gap between Camera 1's File 1 and File 2. Typically, I'd run with Camera 2's footage for a short time, then switch back to Camera 1, using Camera 1's audio as the master audio source once again.

In PD16 Multicam Designer, I don't see a way to do this; if I change the audio source to Camera 2, it wants to use Camera 2's audito for the entire timeline. Is there a way to set the audio source for only the short clip from camera 2?

Thanks in advance.

Barry
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
The smartest solution would be to record the master audio with a separate device.

If you go with camcorder audio, every time you switch camcorder order, it's going to sound completely different. Also, camcorder audio is likely to pick up a lot of theater noise and your dialog is likely to sound echo-ey and weak.

If you can hide an audio recording device up close, you'll be so much happier with the results.
[Post New]
Follow advice, from StevengG the best thing to do.
For your case now, an option add the videos in the timeline, track1 (camera 1) and track 2 (camera 2) or the opposite.
select the 2 video and Sync by Audio button, works well for 2 files, for many files it complicates but can be done
Sync ready, disable mute or delete the audio you do not want.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2018 09:23

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
bcf1ca [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 18:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Follow advice, from StevengG the best thing to do.
For your case now, an option add the videos in the timeline, track1 (camera 1) and track 2 (camera 2) or the opposite.
select the 2 video and Sync by Audio button, works well for 2 files, for many files it complicates but can be done
Sync ready, disable mute or delete the audio you do not want.

Thanks to you both.
Playsound: Yes, I realize having a dedicated audio recorder would be an ideal solution, but I've already shot the production. The facility in which I shoot is quite small and the audio quality from the in-camera microphone is fine. It would be tricky to position an audio recorder as well. In a larger facility, a separate recorder may be necessary.

StevenG: I think you are suggesting I work outside the Multicam Designer, correct? I tried syncing the clip from Camera 2 to the timeline video that the multicam process created and it messed up the timeline terribly. I see how syncing two tracks on the timelline is, but that defeats the purpose of the multicam process. If I'm not understanding you correctly, can you be more explicit please?

Regards,

Barry
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
You should be able to sync up your (up to) four camera videos and your audio (from any source).

In fact, that's exactly how the tool is designed to work. It shouldn't mess up the timeline.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2018 21:47

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

There are a couple of points to take into account:

If you wish to temporarily swap audio and video from Cam1 to Cam2, as you suggest, you will get a "different" audio - as in quality, ambience etc depending on the camera setup and location, and that might sound peculiar in the final production.

Ideally, as has been suggested, you would need a master continuous audio to use as a synching baseline.

So to avoid the first and get the second, why not try to get one continuous audio from the two videos sources? Without knowing the exact details and how many small breaks etc. have to be filled in, it might be a relatively simple job?

That audio file can then perhaps be used as the baseline for the multicam synch and cuts that you want?

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.