Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Whats the minimum # of clicks to crop a video clip?
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 115 Offline
[Post New]
I've got a multicam timeline and have to crop every time I change clips. About 1/3 of the crops are similar but I don't find any place for making a crop preset. The other crops vary.These are the clicks I have to make for every clip.
1.tools
2.power tools
3.crop and zoom check box
4.crop/zoom button
5.freeform
6.click blue dot center crop area before any adjustments possible
7.start adjusting crop size
8.ok

So I'm interested to see if I can speed up this tedious process. Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2018 14:26

[Post New]
Quote I've got a multicam timeline and have to crop every time I change clips. About 1/3 of the crops are similar but I don't find any place for making a crop preset. The other crops vary.These are the clicks I have to make for every clip.
1.tools
2.power tools
4.crop/zoom button
5.freeform
8.ok

try it
Select the video, Direct action on the image in the Preview screen
Keyframe button, Clip Attributes, for more resources. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try this:

• crop the first clip as described (your way or PlaySound's way, whichever that suits you best)

• copy the keyframe attributes of that clip

• past the keyframe attributes for each of the clips (1/3 I understand) that should have the same cropping.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2018 17:12

FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've got a multicam timeline and have to crop every time I change clips. About 1/3 of the crops are similar but I don't find any place for making a crop preset. The other crops vary.These are the clicks I have to make for every clip.
1.tools
2.power tools
4.crop/zoom button
5.freeform
8.ok

try it
Select the video, Direct action on the image in the Preview screen
Keyframe button, Clip Attributes, for more resources.

Thanks for the reply.Not sure what you mean by "more resources"? I haven't figured out how to crop in this area.
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did you try this:

• crop the first clip as described (your way or PlaySound's way, whichever that suits you best)

• copy the keyframe attributes of that clip

• past the keyframe attributes for each of the clips (1/3 I understand) that should have the same cropping.

I cropped the long way. Then I copied the keyframe attributes then I went to another clip and pasted it. It resized the clip but didn't crop it. I'm new to keyframe use in general. Am I missing a step. Thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Francois -

I posted this screen capture recently for another user who had a similar problem. Maybe it'll help you. It's what Warry & Playsound were suggesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znHwLysua3k

As you've found, copying & pasting keyframe attributes doesn't work for Crop & Zoom.

In your case, you'd only paste the keyframe attributes to the clips that need to be cropped in the same way.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
If you perform like this, the "cropping" is not "keyframable" <- cool word, isn't it?
But the cropping is just like zooming. You choose a different "viewport" of your clip, you "crop away the unwanted parts". That new viewport is zoomed to the size of the view.
You can perform the same in the preview window, butt if you do it there, it is "keyframable"

I made a little video for you to show, what PlaySound and Warry meant.

<a>https://youtu.be/OVChrxXdUDc</a>

Hatti

Edit: Tony was faster...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2018 01:26

Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Francois -

I posted this screen capture recently for another user who had a similar problem. Maybe it'll help you. It's what Warry & Playsound were suggesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znHwLysua3k

As you've found, copying & pasting keyframe attributes doesn't work for Crop & Zoom.

In your case, you'd only paste the keyframe attributes to the clips that need to be cropped in the same way.

Cheers - Tony

That's good to know anyhow. Thanks
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you perform like this, the "cropping" is not "keyframable" <- cool word, isn't it?
But the cropping is just like zooming. You choose a different "viewport" of your clip, you "crop away the unwanted parts". That new viewport is zoomed to the size of the view.
You can perform the same in the preview window, butt if you do it there, it is "keyframable"

I made a little video for you to show, what PlaySound and Warry meant.

<a>https://youtu.be/OVChrxXdUDc</a>

Hatti

Edit: Tony was faster...

Allright! I appreciate you showing that with a video. That helps to understand. In my case, I usually need very specific crops. For example there might be two people and something in the clip I don't want in the video. I might want just one person and also avoid something. When I've finished cropping I often go to keyframe, disable aspect ratio, and stretch it out a bit to make it take up more of the frame so it's not such a skinny picture. Would you say this way you show can be as precise as cropping? Anyway, good to see this way of doing it. Thanks