Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving to Power Director 15
Jimp77
Newbie Location: Guernsey GB Joined: Aug 19, 2016 16:33 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have just started with Director 15 and would like to get back into editing some of my old videos.
I have a disk with lots of video files of type .m2v derived originally from Premiere 6.5.
I used to use the Premiere provided MPEG encoder.

Director 15 plays the video file without sound. It can also play the WAV sound files separately.

I cannot see a way of combining these files to create a DVD. Is there a way I could re-edit this video.
It is not really feasible to start again from the source data - even if the tapes still work after years.

As I come new to the software I realise this may prove to be a basic issue and obvious to some, but your help and tips would be very welcome.

Jimp77 Jimp77
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector is a little bit like Adobe Premiere. It is a video editor.
So, drag the .m2v file to the video part of track1 and the .wav to the audio part of track1.
If they are synchronized, the should have the same length. And here ya go!
Choose create disk and make a DVD.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Jimp77
[Post New]
Quote PowerDirector is a little bit like Adobe Premiere. It is a video editor.
So, drag the .m2v file to the video part of track1 and the .wav to the audio part of track1.

Hatti

Vielen dank Hatti ! Thanks for the quick response to my post.
I noted a typo in my original and hope it does not affect the issue.
Actually I have PowerDVD15 but am still using Director14 which I bought some time ago but as I moved house am only now beginning to use. Wanted to establish that I could make DVDs and re-edit some of my old video files (Premiere 6.5) before starting again with a new system and new projects.

I have tried again an find that I can add the media filename.m2v and filename.WAV to PowerDVD and it plays the video media but I get no sound.

When I try to import the files into Director, it lists the available WAV files from the folder (including filename.WAV) but does not show any of the corresponding .m2v files, so it does not 'see' filename.m2v as a video file.

I note that neither the list of video file extension types nor the list of all media extension types includes m2v.

So Power DVD plays the video only but Director import does not see the listed video media files on attempted import but does see and allows import of the audio files.

Any suggestions/ i realise that as I am new to the system there may be some settings that I need to tweak, but as I understand from your post that m2v files should work I am wondering what to try next.
Or is it that only a later (or an earlier) version of director could import m2v?

When I open my media folder in Windows 10 it lists both video and audio files and hovering on the m2v correctly describes it as 'Movie Clip'

Best wishes
Jimp77 Jimp77
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I am a little confused, because the reaction of PowerDirector seems to be not logic to me:
1. A .m2v file ist the video part of a mpeg2 file. (its called "elemtary video stream")
2. The .wav file is the audio part (called "elemtary audio stream") <- no wonder laughing

PD16 cannot read the .m2v file. The file is rejected as not supported. That is weird.
PD16 reads the wav file without problems.

Renaming the .m2v in .mpg does not help, the video is listed, but also rejected as unsupported. PD16 needs the whole bunch of video and audio to see it as an accepted file.
So I muxed the elementary streams to a .mpg file with video and audio. For any reason, my favored tool, FFMPEG, has difficulties in muxing .m2v and .wav so I used TMPGEnc mastering works for that purpose. And the resulting file (now a complete and valid .mpg) is accepted by PD16 without problems.

So the solution is: have a look with the googling machine of your choice and watch out for a muxer for m2v and wav.
Don't pay for it. It should be open source or free of charge. Mux your .m2v with the corresponding .wav to a .mpg and then you should be able to import it to PowerDirector.

Hatti.

Edit: Puhh, of course, FFMPEG does the job:

ffmpeg -i infile.m2v -i infile.wav -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -target pal-dvd output.mpg

The target is the important thing. It sets some parameters and the frame rate. pal-dvd: 25fps, ntsc-dvd: 29.97 fps, film-dvd: 23.97 fps

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2018 12:00

Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD15 is not a video/sound editor, it is video player.

Powerdirector 14 is a video editor and you can do what Hatti suggested in putting the video on Track 1 video part and the sound on the sound part of track 1.

Produce the files to a new video and you have the two parts combined. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Jimp77
[Post New]
Quote PowerDirector is a little bit like Adobe Premiere. It is a video editor.

Hatti

Vielen dank Hatti ! Thanks for the quick response to my post.
I noted a typo in my original and hope it does not affect the issue.
Actually I have PowerDVD15 but am still using Director14 which I bought some time ago but as I moved house am only now beginning to use. Wanted to establish that I could make DVDs and re-edit some of my old video files (Premiere 6.5) before starting again with a new system and new projects.

I have tried again an find that I can add the media filename.m2v and filename.WAV to PowerDVD and it plays the video media but I get no sound.

When I try to import the files into Director, it lists the available WAV files from the folder (including filename.WAV) but does not show any of the corresponding .m2v files, so it does not 'see' filename.m2v as a video file.

I note that neither the list of video file extension types nor the list of all media extension types includes m2v.

So Power DVD plays the video only but Director import does not see the listed video media files on attempted import but does see and allows import of the audio files.

Any suggestions/ i realise that as I am new to the system there may be some settings that I need to tweak, but as I understand from your post that m2v files should work I am wondering what to try next.
Or is it that only a later (or an earlier) version of director could import m2v?

When I open my media folder in Windows 10 it lists both video and audio files and hovering on the m2v correctly describes it as 'Movie Clip'

Best wishes
Jimp77
Jimp77
Jimp77
[Post New]
Thanks again Hatti. Based on your comments I found a trial version of TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 and selecting
Advanced Tools and Mpeg 2 VBR then browsing to select the m2v file both m2v and related wav are loaded as input ready to press Start and the mpg file is produced.

After that importing the m2v into Director 15 (or 14) brings in the related wav as well - or import the mpg.
Could not be simpler - as many things when you know how. 30 day trial and this software is part of a wider family as you already know.

The Renderer 5 utility I used would cost $69.95 to buy. So simple I was tempted but looking at the specs it does exclude some functions from the earlier version - now 64 bit OS only, no HDV capture, MPEG files for video CD etc. so not sure whether it would present other limitations later.

Can you advise what software you have found it worth adding or necessary to add in order to work with the Cyberlink options - you mentioned FFMPEG for the above function (I will try and follow your suggested option to recreate the mpg files).

TMPGEnc family of software looks comprehensive, but has quite a few packages running to high cost. Are there gaps in the Cyberlink software that need to be filled by other or is the importing of files from older editing systems which gnerate m2v a '' special case''?

Basically I just want to edit my old files and author playable DVDs with titles and put multiple old home movies to BluRay for my children to play and to archive.
I have very recently got a Sony Handycam FDR-AXP33 (HD1080 & 4k) so will also want to edit and author to DVD or BluRay from that.

Thanks again for the mpg steer that pointed me in the right direction.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2018 14:07

Jimp77