Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re-size a photo
rschoenert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2016 18:10 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I'm brand new with PhotoDirector and can't find where I can re-size a photo down to 800x800. I couldn't find it even searching for "resize" in the Help section, so I thought maybe you guys can stear me in the right direction.

Robert Robert
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
PhotoDirector does not "load" the picture in a way, that other programs do. The changes that you make to a picture are stored in a database, but not witth the picture itself. To apply changes to the picture, you have to export it. And there you can change the export size.
You can verify this, if you make changes to a picture within PhotoDirector, but you do not export it. Exit PhotoDirector and have a look at the picture in the folder. It is the unchanged picture. Start PhotoDirector again and see the picture. It appeares changed as you did before. You can export the picture with the changes but have the original picture unchanged.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
rschoenert [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PhotoDirector does not "load" the picture in a way, that other programs do. The changes that you make to a picture are stored in a database, but not witth the picture itself. To apply changes to the picture, you have to export it. And there you can change the export size.
You can verify this, if you make changes to a picture within PhotoDirector, but you do not export it. Exit PhotoDirector and have a look at the picture in the folder. It is the unchanged picture. Start PhotoDirector again and see the picture. It appeares changed as you did before. You can export the picture with the changes but have the original picture unchanged.

Hatti

Thanks for your reply. So I have to export the resized image in order to have the smaller image saved. Understandable. But, how do I resize it to start with?
Robert Robert
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Either I don't understand or you don't understand.

You said: "But, how do I resize it to start with?"

What? I don't get it. PhotoDirector just gives you a view on your original picture. Since it is a view on the original picture, the view is always the size of the original picture. I don't see a way to resize the view. It seems not to be the right tool for that purpose.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
rschoenert [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Either I don't understand or you don't understand.

You said: "But, how do I resize it to start with?"

What? I don't get it. PhotoDirector just gives you a view on your original picture. Since it is a view on the original picture, the view is always the size of the original picture. I don't see a way to resize the view. It seems not to be the right tool for that purpose.

Hatti

If the size of a photo is 1600x1600 I want to resize it to 800x800, Robert
Hatti
[Post New]

If the size of a photo is 1600x1600 I want to resize it to 800x800,

Load your picture(s).
Click on export...
Scroll to "Export destination".
Make your entries.
Scroll to "Image sizing".
Choose a new size.
Click button export.

rschoenert [Avatar]
[Post New]

If the size of a photo is 1600x1600 I want to resize it to 800x800,

Load your picture(s).
Click on export...
Scroll to "Export destination".
Make your entries.
Scroll to "Image sizing".
Choose a new size.
Click button export.

Hatti

FANTASTIC! It works, thanks Robert
bkbirge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2017 17:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
In PhotoDirector 8 Is there a way to resize on export (or not on export) that DOESN'T preserve the aspect ratio? I am working with pictures that have to be very specific pixel sizes but when I export to them only one side matches the spec, the other is whatever is needed to preserve the aspect ratio.

The user interface on this program is so godawful I literally want to throw my computer through a wall everytime I try using this product.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2019 19:44

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote In PhotoDirector 8 Is there a way to resize on export (or not on export) that DOESN'T preserve the aspect ratio?

Sure. I don't have PhD 8, but in PhD 7 there's a simple resolution setting on the Photo Export menu (right-click on the photo to bring it up):

PhD 10 is even simpler, so PhD8 must have something like this as well:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
bkbirge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2017 17:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Sure. I don't have PhD 8, but in PhD 7 there's a simple resolution setting on the Photo Export menu (right-click on the photo to bring it up):

I've got the above dialog box but when I choose "width and height" and put in my numbers into W/H it only actually seems to change the width side on export and auto adjusts the height side to whatever preserves the aspect ratio. I'd like to be able to arbitrarily choose the width and height without care for the aspect ratio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2019 22:53

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've got the above dialog box but when I choose "width and height" and put in my numbers into W/H it only actually seems to change the width side on export and auto adjusts the height side to whatever preserves the aspect ratio. I'd like to be able to arbitrarily choose the width and height without care for the aspect ratio.

Hmm. In PhD 7 those numbers are fully independent, but when I export an image that I've set to 1666x333, the program picks the smallest number and sets the exported dimension to that number, then sets the other dimension to match the existing aspect ratio.

In my example with a 3:2 AR photo, setting the export dimensions to 1666x333 generates an image that's 499x333; and 1666x3333 becomes 1666x1110.

In Phd10 I see the same behavior that you've described, with only one number adjustable. Hopefully other members with more relevant experience can shed some more light on this.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Video can have a pixel aspect ratio different from the display aspect ratio. The most common is 1.33.

I have not have seen any software for viewing still pictures that have a pixel aspect ratio other than 1. PhD10 is a photo editing software not geared to images. Take a 1920 x 1080 sample image and it can be resized with the Gimp batch image manipulation plugin. See the attached. It is resized to 1920 x 108. It may be what the OP need.
[Thumb - ballon.jpg]
 Filename
ballon.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
1920 x 1080 image resized
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Kimmo Laurila [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 26, 2019 07:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, total newbie here!

So, is it _really_ so, that if I want to crop from my big picture smaller pixel by pixel, let's say like 625 px x 108 px (and it must be exactly those pixels), I cannot do it inside PhotoDirector?
[Post New]
Hello Kimmo Laurila,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

That's correct. You can crop to a specific aspect ratio. You can export to a specific size. You cannot crop to a specific size (in pixels).

As far as I know, Lightroom & other photo management apps cannot do this either. PhotoShop & more advanced graphics software would be more appropriate tools for this task.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 26. 2019 13:16

PIX YouTube channel
Kimmo Laurila [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Kimmo Laurila,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

That's correct. You can crop to a specific aspect ratio. You can export to a specific size. You cannot crop to a specific size (in pixels).

As far as I know, Lightroom & other photo management apps cannot do this either. PhotoShop & more advanced graphics software would be more appropriate tools for this task.

PIX

Jep, this was a bummer as I was hoping that Photodirector could replace my photoshop, in my humble projects. But then again, PhotoDirector came bundled in DirectorSuite 356 so I do not have to feel so bad if I'll not use it at all. But I really wanted to leave Photoshop behind and now it is not possible Thank you for your answer!
[Post New]
If you're wishing to leave Ps behind for $$$ reasons, PhotoScape X is a free application that meets that specific need.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kimmo Laurila [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank's but I still have my Photoshop Elements 13, that'll do the trick laughing
optodata
[Post New]
Jep, this was a bummer as I was hoping that Photodirector could replace my photoshop, in my humble projects. But then again, PhotoDirector came bundled in DirectorSuite 356 so I do not have to feel so bad if I'll not use it at all. But I really wanted to leave Photoshop behind and now it is not possible Thank you for your answer!

It's not an all or nothing situation. You could easily use PhotoDirector for all your significant edits and export the image in its original size, then use a free app like GIMP or IrfanView to cut out the desired 625 x 108 section (use Ctrl + Y) and save it:

Different tools/apps for different tasks!

YouTube/optodata

Kimmo Laurila [Avatar]
[Post New]
No problem, old elements does this still well, so I do not have to learn any new program to do it. It would just be so 'nice' if I could do everything in one program, but this is how it is

By the way, I notice that I can do slideshow with music in both PhotoDirector and PowerDirector.

How their slideshows differs, which one to use?