Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
USB Video Grabber problems
chris1958 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cromer, UK Joined: Feb 28, 2018 10:29 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I bought the Silver Crest USB video grabber from Lidl to transfer old 8mm Video8 films to my PC. I have installed the software etc and it all appears to be working but when I click "Capture" it goes to the on board PC camera and doesnt seem to recognise any other device. The camera/player I am using is a Sony Handycam Video 8 and I have connected the yellow and white leads. There is no S-Video socket.

Any suggestions please ??

Chris
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Please supply the name and exact version number of the software that you are using to capture the analog video. Let us know how you got the software and if is is an oem version. Which windows version are you using?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2018 13:24

chris1958 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please supply the name and exact version number of the software that you are using to capture the analog video. Let us know how you got the software and if is is an oem version. Which windows version are you using?

Hi Tomasc, thanks for replying.
About PowerLink Director tells me it is Power Director12, Power Director DE 12.05.4614
The software came with SilverCrest USB Video Grabber which i bought in Lidls towards the end of 2017
On the CD it states USB Video Grabber SVG2.0 A3 Software and Drivers, USB Video Grabber CD Rom 2741261 - Version 1.0
I am using Windows 10

Hope this helps

Chris
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Be sure, in Capture, the setting is for Composite, not "s" video. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
chris1958 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Be sure, in Capture, the setting is for Composite, not "s" video.

When I click on Capture the Icons for Capture from a DV Camcorder, HDV Camcorder and CD are not highlighted. Only Capture from a Webcam, Microphone and External / Optical Device are highlighted and therefore detected by the software.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The third button on the top left, capture from a TV signal must be highlighted and clicked to make it active.
chris1958 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The third button on the top left, capture from a TV signal must be highlighted and clicked to make it active.

I don't have the Capture from a TV Signal option - only the ones listed in my previous reply.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Page 9 of the user manual said that “The required software (drivers and applications) must first be
installed before you plug in the device.” Hope you did that to avoid continual problems.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii_0Qhon6Ys&t=2s . Others have been successful and use the Silver Crest USB video grabber from Lidl. The windows 10 drivers version is a2 not version 1.0.
SirCharles1977
Newbie Location: Gastonia NC Joined: Feb 14, 2018 18:20 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I bought the Silver Crest USB video grabber from Lidl to transfer old 8mm Video8 films to my PC. I have installed the software etc and it all appears to be working but when I click "Capture" it goes to the on board PC camera and doesnt seem to recognise any other device. The camera/player I am using is a Sony Handycam Video 8 and I have connected the yellow and white leads. There is no S-Video socket.

Chris

I use a Digital Sony VX-2100 Professional Camcorder 1394 firewire out, How can I get my footages from the Sony VX-2100 into the Power Director 16? What cable do I need? My Laptop does not have 1394 Firewire, but it gas USB Ports! Please tell me the type of cable that I need that will work with Power Director 16?
Thanks Charles Pratt
wwww.prattsvideo2000.com
chris1958 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Page 9 of the user manual said that “The required software (drivers and applications) must first be
installed before you plug in the device.” Hope you did that to avoid continual problems.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii_0Qhon6Ys&t=2s . Others have been successful and use the Silver Crest USB video grabber from Lidl. The windows 10 drivers version is a2 not version 1.0.

I followed the instructions in the booklet when I installed the software. As I am using Windows 10, is it possible to update it to version 2 ? Should I uninstall and begin again ?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I bought the Silver Crest USB video grabber from Lidl to transfer old 8mm Video8 films to my PC. I have installed the software etc and it all appears to be working but when I click "Capture" it goes to the on board PC camera and doesnt seem to recognise any other device. The camera/player I am using is a Sony Handycam Video 8 and I have connected the yellow and white leads. There is no S-Video socket.

Chris

I use a Digital Sony VX-2100 Professional Camcorder 1394 firewire out, How can I get my footages from the Sony VX-2100 into the Power Director 16? What cable do I need? My Laptop does not have 1394 Firewire, but it gas USB Ports! Please tell me the type of cable that I need that will work with Power Director 16?
Thanks

There is no magic wire to convert Firewire to USB. There none that work well. You may be able to buy a stand alone converter card that plugs into your pcmcia card slot (if you have one)..

I can't offer a suggestion because you did not tell us what computer you have. Talk to the computer manufacturer so see what card they recommend.

I hope you have a top of the line laptop because usually laptops don't have enough processing power (mine does but I don't think you can call my Alienware 15 plus pound monster a laptop. Post the dxdiag.exe infomration on it to get some suggestions. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Page 9 of the user manual said that “The required software (drivers and applications) must first be

I followed the instructions in the booklet when I installed the software. As I am using Windows 10, is it possible to update it to version 2 ? Should I uninstall and begin again ?

I don't have your device but the problems with drivers are more likely than not. The drivers are for the device and not for Windows.

Please answer the question about plugging the device in BEFORE you installed the proprierary drivers for that device. Did you get a disc or a link to download the drivers for that device?

There is a sort of multistep process to change the drivers. You must remore the device, uninstall the driver, reboot, install the driver that came with the device, reboot and only then plug in your device. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Sir Charles, please open a new thread with YOUR issue and an appropriate topic title and I’m sure you will get the forum members to assist. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Page 12 in this online manual gives a UK hotline number 0207-36 50 744 : http://www.lidl-service.com/static/9383873/64672_EN_FI_SV_DA.pdf . You should be able to get help for free asuming that it is a toll free telephone number. Maybe what you have is defective unit or the usb port is not supplying enough power to get it to work. They should be able to help.
chris1958 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I don't have your device but the problems with drivers are more likely than not. The drivers are for the device and not for Windows.

Please answer the question about plugging the device in BEFORE you installed the proprierary drivers for that device. Did you get a disc or a link to download the drivers for that device?

There is a sort of multistep process to change the drivers. You must remore the device, uninstall the driver, reboot, install the driver that came with the device, reboot and only then plug in your device.

Herein may lie the problem then. The device I am trying to capture from is a Sony Handycam Video 8 which uses magnetic tape cassettes and is not digital. I doubt such things as drivers even existed when it was new. There is no S-video socket but it has yellow Video out and Black Audio out. I thought the idea of the Video Grabber was that it would take Analogue and digitise it onto the PC meaning I can download all my old home movies
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Chris1958, I think you may have misunderstood. Your computer does use drivers for the USB device.

Windows is sometimes too clever. If you plug a USB device in to your computer for the first time then the operating system will 'recognise' the device and install what it (the O.S.) thinks are the appropriate drivers. Windows comes with a huge array of generic drivers which in most cases do a reasonable job. In some cases they fail to work at all. It's therefore essential that you install the software that comes with devices in exactly the way/order the manufacturer says you should.

Try -
1. Deleting the grabber using Windows Device Manager (you may have to have it connected before you can see it in there).
2. Disconnect it.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Install the driver and any other software.
5. Connect the device. If there is software with it try it out and see if it is working.
6. Try it with PDR.

I struggled with the first USB grabber that I bought and never got it working. I bought a replacement, another make, and that works perfectly.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I thought the idea of the Video Grabber was that it would take Analogue and digitise it onto the PC

That is exactly it's purpose. As the other contributors have said it is probably just a matter of getting it correctly installed. Also, although the device was supplied with Power Director 12 there may, in addition, be a bespoke capture utility on the CD. If so that might be the best way to capture the material and then it can be imported into Power Director. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I am using a similar Sony with a VC-500 USB converter and I have zero issues. My instructions demanded I plug-in the device first, then run the disc with the driver. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
stevek
[Post New]
Quote I am using a similar Sony with a VC-500 USB converter and I have zero issues. My instructions demanded I plug-in the device first, then run the disc with the driver.

Not doubting you and it may be that the original poster followed those instructions. It doesn't work for him.

I used a couple other devices and they gave the instuuctions to install drivers first. The devices were one from Pinnacle and 2 from Roxio (now Corel).

What does he have to lose if he follows the instructions to delete and then reinstall the drivers before he plugs in the device? .
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Try a few different USB ports. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)