Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Joining/combining clips seamlessly in Power Director 16
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cyprus Joined: Feb 27, 2018 06:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you to everyone who helped solve my problem of joing two files together.

Hatti you are fortunate apparently not to have a file size limitation.

Tomasc had the right answer. Use DOS to join the two files. But work on the original files copied from the camera, as he said in one of his replies. Do not process each file first with PD16 to produce two mp4 files, and then try to use DOS on the MP4 files - this does not work.

The old simple solution is best. No complicated hard to understand modern software! Thank you so much Tomasc! : A bonus for you!

Thanks again

David David Pentecost
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
An interesting topic - with an interesting solution - but ...

seems it does not work with .mov files

tried the dos command and it appears to work but the resultant combined file is unusable.

Tried 2 different pairs of clips.

VLC plays ok to the join and no further (both)

PD16 gets more upset - one of the files it seems to accept but then you notice the duration is severely truncated, the other it actually complains is a format it does not recognise (when you play)

I don't know enough about video file formats so maybe its not that simple to just add 2 .mov files together.

Alan.

PS - not actually a problem for me as I have always been able to satisfactorily combine clips in PD.
PPS - neat way to work on dos on a specific folder in W7 - hold shift when you rightclick in the folder display and then select Open command window here - and up it pops already in the folder you want to work on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2018 13:57

DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cyprus Joined: Feb 27, 2018 06:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
You are right Alan. I just tried using DOS with two .MOV files direct from a camera. It did not work. The first file was copied correctly to the destination file, but the second file was not. So only the first file was played with VLC player.

This subect is clearly not simple and depends very much on the file formats, which can vary from camera type to camera type. That could be the reason why Cyberlink have not provided a join files feature in PD16.

But they really should tackle the subject and provide the feature in a future release. It's such a basic requirement.

David David Pentecost
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I wondered that it works for mp4 files. With the provided DOS command, two binary files are concatenated.
The movie files usually contain a header and then the data.

So normally: Header-Data
Two files concatenated: Header1-Data1-Header2-Data2
That is not a valid movie file.

For mp4, it seems to work, why-o-ever. For mov not.

It is better to use programs (like PD) to concat movie files. If there are problems, there are many programs, that can do the job. For the Sony FDR-AX53 it's name is PlayMemories.
Or, FFMPEG, if someone likes the command line interface cool Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
SirCharles1977
Newbie Location: Gastonia NC Joined: Feb 14, 2018 18:20 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have filmed a concert. My camera has a maximum file size of 2gb and then it starts a new file automatically. If the new file starts (as it often does) in the middle of a song, how do I seamlessly join the two files together, so that I can produce a perfect video of the song, without a gap or noise at the join?

I use Digial Camcorder Sony VX-2100 with Adobe System. Now that I have Power Director 16 I really like it but I will be usining it with my Laptop. How can I Capture Footage from Digital Camcorder to the Power Director Software? What kind of Digital Cable do I need? Charles Pratt
wwww.prattsvideo2000.com
Dimitrios123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2017 13:15 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hatti is right, this camera can use SDXC cards and, since SDXC format uses the eXFAT file system, it does not have the 2G size limitation. All you need is to buy a fast SDXC card (and format it only in camera, to be on the safe side).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2018 15:27

Dimitrios123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Greece Joined: Nov 20, 2017 13:15 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
You better open a new thread for this question. A quick answer is that miniDV cameras always use Firewire port (USB is essentally useless as it cannot guarantee that frames are not lost). So you need Firewire, regardless of the video capturing software you use (btw, the freeware WinDV is still ok for that purpose).

Quote I have filmed a concert. My camera has a maximum file size of 2gb and then it starts a new file automatically. If the new file starts (as it often does) in the middle of a song, how do I seamlessly join the two files together, so that I can produce a perfect video of the song, without a gap or noise at the join?

I use Digial Camcorder Sony VX-2100 with Adobe System. Now that I have Power Director 16 I really like it but I will be usining it with my Laptop. How can I Capture Footage from Digital Camcorder to the Power Director Software? What kind of Digital Cable do I need?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2018 15:34