Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Migrate project from one computer to another?
Wanstronian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2018 15:18 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks,

I've been using PD16 on my work computer, and have just finished building a new home PC.

I'm going to transfer the license, but how can I migrate my projects? On my new PC I'll be using a D: drive for files, whereas on the old one everything was in C:

I don't want to have to re-author each project as it'll take hours and it won't be the same.

I tried packaging my project but that doesn't work: I get a message "You must have at least one clip on the timeline/storyboard before you can package a project." Well, I have but PD clearly doesn't think so. If that's even the right way to go about it.

Hope someone can help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2018 12:03

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Pack Project Materials Is the way to go, and if you have the materials on the timeline, then it should work.
Be sure you are updated to the latest build.
A screenshot of the timeline and/or error message may help. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Wanstronian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Pack Project Materials Is the way to go, and if you have the materials on the timeline, then it should work.
Be sure you are updated to the latest build.
A screenshot of the timeline and/or error message may help.

Hi Barry,

It turns out PD doesn't like packaging to network drive. So I packaged locally and then copied. That sort of worked, but some files were still left behind and I needed to copy them manually. I clicked the "include clips that are not used" but in fact they were used - 1 mp3 and three mp4s simply didn't get packaged.

What's worse, when I opened the project on my destination machine, one of the MP4s that came across was simply not included in the project so I had a 15 second black screen.

Cyberlink have some work to do here, I think.

Thanks for your help!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any commonality to the location of clips that were not included? Just guessing. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Wanstronian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Is there any commonality to the location of clips that were not included? Just guessing.

All the clips were in the same folder - including those that were copied/packaged correctly!

I'll try it again when I get the chance, and update this thread.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Wanstronian -

Over the last few days, I've been packing old projects for archiving (partly because my PC's giving me occasional signs it doesn't want to play anymore). These are projects that have no "working folder" so videos, photos, graphics & audio clips are scattered far & wide on my PC.

In each case, I check "Include unused clips". I've just checked about half a dozen and the packed folders all includes the right stuff - everything that was in the timeline & unused media in the media library.

I can't recall your observation about missing media in packed projects being reported before.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!