Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlay/blend two video tracks
nalab1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 10, 2013 13:40 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!,

I would like to overlay/blend two video tracks in a project that I am currently working on...

How can I do this? I have tried putting a video clip on track1 and another on track 2 but this does not appear to work!

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Alan Dell XPS One 2720 Core i7 4790S, 16GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5
2TB Hard Disk
Windows 10
PowerDirector 15 ultimate
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know what you mean by "overlay/blend". You have put a clip on track1 -> track1 visible. Than you put another clip on track2. Because the tracks are like layers, where you put your clips on and the clip on track2 is over the clip on track1 -> track2 visible.

What can you do now?

• Change opacity of clip on track2:-> track1 "gleams" through track2

• resize clip on track2:-> "picture in picture"

• clip on track2 has an alpha channel (transparency):-> track1 is visible, where track2 is transparent.

• chroma keying on track2:-> track1 is visible, where chroma is keyed out (transparent).

• set a blend mode on track2:-> a "mixture" of the blend mode of track2 with track1

• set a mask on track2:-> same as transparency

Was that a hint?

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know what you mean by "overlay/blend". You have put a clip on track1 -> track1 visible. Than you put another clip on track2. Because the tracks are like layers, where you put your clips on and the clip on track2 is over the clip on track1 -> track2 visible.

What can you do now?

• Change opacity of clip on track2:-> track1 "gleams" through track2

• resize clip on track2:-> "picture in picture"

• clip on track2 has an alpha channel (transparency):-> track1 is visible, where track2 is transparent.

• chroma keying on track2:-> track1 is visible, where chroma is keyed out (transparent).

• set a blend mode on track2:-> a "mixture" of the blend mode of track2 with track1

• set a mask on track2:-> same as transparency

Was that a hint?

Hatti

If you want a true blend of your clip in track one, and a clip in two, it can be done as Hatti suggests.

What you need to do is: Have the clips you want to blend immediately above and below each other. Highlight clip on track one, press control, and hold while you select track two. Now both clips will be highlighted.

So with both clips highlighted select "Tools" > "Power Tools" In power tools select "Blending Mode". Once selected the two clips will be beautifully blended

I hope this helps

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
How does the blending affect the audio? Does it fade out #1 and fade in #2? .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How does the blending affect the audio? Does it fade out #1 and fade in #2?

No. The blending is no fading between two clips, but as in e.g. in gimp or photoshop the layer modes, as "add" or "multiply". Or a hint: Take a somewhat foggy or hazy clip, copy it, put it right over the original clip and set blending mode to "overlay".

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
nalab1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your replies!

Is there an easy way of changing the transparency of one of the video tracks?

Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,

Alan Dell XPS One 2720 Core i7 4790S, 16GB RAM
2TB Hard Disk
Windows 10
Hatti
[Post New]
Not for the whole track, only for the single clips.
There is a small green line in the upper area of the video part. If you hover the mouse over it, the curser changes to the up/down arrow, indicating that you can change a value with the mouse.
Have a look at the screenshot.

Hatti
[Thumb - opacityline.png]
 Filename
opacityline.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not for the whole track, only for the single clips.
There is a small green line in the upper area of the video part. If you hover the mouse over it, the curser changes to the up/down arrow, indicating that you can change a value with the mouse.

Hatti

Actually Hatti, Yes you can do more than one clip at a time. If you want to change the opacity on the whole track just click on the first image, hold shift, and click on the last image. Then use the green line as you have suggested.

By the same token you can also change the opacity on clips that are not together in the timeline. Press the first one you want to change, hold CTRL, and select the clips you want to alter. Once selected use the green line again on one of them Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
nalab1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Hatti! It worked really well! Thats sorted it!smile

Knd Regards,

Alan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2018 12:38

Dell XPS One 2720 Core i7 4790S, 16GB RAM
2TB Hard Disk
Windows 10
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not for the whole track, only for the single clips.

Hatti

Actually Hatti, Yes you can do more than one clip at a time. If you want to change the opacity on the whole track just click on the first image, hold shift, and click on the last image. Then use the green line as you have suggested.

By the same token you can also change the opacity on clips that are not together in the timeline. Press the first one you want to change, hold CTRL, and select the clips you want to alter. Once selected use the green line again on one of them

That is an awesome shortcut. How does one go about finding this and others like it ? I havent seen toots on these hidden gems.
Thanks Shadowman ____________________________________

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,