Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Suddenly can't play anything
Zoranurai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2018 16:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys!

I recently bought a copy of powerdvd 17, and it worked flawlessly. Until sometime a week ago.
I always watch videos i have on my pc, which is plenty powerful...
So last week i wanted to watch a movie, double clicked it, powerdvd opens and... full black screen, have to force close the program.
Then i decided maybe if i open powerdvd first, then click the file maybe it'd run... well... no. A small black screen pops up for a second and goes away again, which renders me unable to use the software to play videos.
It ain't the file, cuz the same file worked the week before and still works in the new build of VLC (thank god it now supports 4k hdr) which is free.

I tried updating, reinstalling it and still, nothing works.

I really like the software, but this is just plain awful for a paid player.

Hope to get a response soon Cheers!
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey guys!

I recently bought a copy of powerdvd 17, and it worked flawlessly. Until sometime a week ago.
So last week i wanted to watch a movie, double clicked it, powerdvd opens and... full black screen, have to force close the program.
Then i decided maybe if i open powerdvd first, then click the file maybe it'd run... well... no. A small black screen pops up for a second and goes away again, which renders me unable to use the software to play videos.
It ain't the file, cuz the same file worked the week before and still works in the new build of VLC (thank god it now supports 4k hdr) which is free.

Hope to get a response soon

Were your GPU driver updated by yourself or Windows auto update recently?
Any suspected factor or changes on PC ring the bell?
Zoranurai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2018 16:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey guys!

Hope to get a response soon

Were your GPU driver updated by yourself or Windows auto update recently?
Any suspected factor or changes on PC ring the bell?

No, nothing changed, haven't done any update or had an auto update whatsoever maybe if i redownload the installer? if i can actually find it. Cheers!
Markbos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2015 22:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I also encounter this. I remove the program and then reinstall. It will play flawlessly for a random number of movies and out of the blue, fail again. I hope you are able to get a result as my attempts to fix have failed. The only way to exit the black screen is use the task manager to close down PowerDVD. The failures do not occur after any update for either the system or graphics card. They also occur in both windowed and full screen. Good Luck?
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Some time it happens due to cpu is not able to take too much load. Then all programs are got crashed.