Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
In Power Director 13, the umlauted u (ü) pastes at an angle of 90 degrees counterclockwise!
Peter13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2015 18:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
The other umlauts, including the upper case Ü, the ä, and the ö all work but the lower case ü is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. Is there something I can do to correct this?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The other umlauts, including the upper case Ü, the ä, and the ö all work but the lower case ü is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. Is there something I can do to correct this?

Hi Peter

Can you explain in a liitle more detail what you are doing. When you say the lower case ü pastes at angle waht do you mean by "paste"? What is the source of your ü?

I'm using the German keyboard and I cant replicate what happens to you in PD13.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply. When you said it works fine with a standard German keyboard, I did some more testing with different keyboard layouts and fonts and finally found the answer. Apparently, some fonts do not have umlaut keys and others do weird things with them. Several Adobe fonts (e.g. Adobe Fan Heiti Std R, Adobe Fangsong Std R) substitute a different font for the ü, and when this font is pasted into a title in PowerDirector, it turns sideways.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for your reply. When you said it works fine with a standard German keyboard, I did some more testing with different keyboard layouts and fonts and finally found the answer. Apparently, some fonts do not have umlaut keys and others do weird things with them. Several Adobe fonts (e.g. Adobe Fan Heiti Std R, Adobe Fangsong Std R) substitute a different font for the ü, and when this font is pasted into a title in PowerDirector, it turns sideways.

I tested every Adobe font with the German keyboard and none of them turned as you describe Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I took a screen shot of the problem; is there some way to post this?
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote I took a screen shot of the problem; is there some way to post this?

Press the "reply" button and on the screen that opens click on "attachments" and browse to the location of the screenshot Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Press the "reply" button and on the screen that opens click on "attachments" and browse to the location of the screenshot

Here it is.
[Thumb - Strange Umlauted U (Ü).jpg]
 Filename
Strange Umlauted U (Ü).jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Strange Umlauted U (Ü)
 Filesize
173 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Press the "reply" button and on the screen that opens click on "attachments" and browse to the location of the screenshot

Here it is.

Here is my version. Notice the strange gap where the ü is. I was unable to change that as there are no minus settings in text spacing.

However I got round it by deleting ü, adding two spaces and placing a new text area. see first picture.

Let me know how you get on

Robert
[Thumb - font1.jpg]
 Filename
font1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
116 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - Font.jpg]
 Filename
Font.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
126 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2018 15:37

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
This is a weird one! Does it happen with all your fonts or just this one?

p.s. - I note that you say "pastes". Are you not entering text using the keyboard?

p.p.s. - It's that font it does the same on my system. The text was correct until I changed the font!

Screenshot
[Thumb - screenshot.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
screenshot
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2018 15:43

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Peter and all -

I don't have my PC set to German keyboard, but I just tried a couple of things which worked.

The first was to type some words here then copy & paste them into PDR13's Title Designer. That gave me Siebenbürgishe Kindertanzgruppe München, which is how it displayed in PDR.

Next I copied a word from this vocabulary list & pasted it into a title. That gave me Frühstück.

Finally, I just typed an Alt character using Alt + 0252 (Num Lock has to be on) which gives me ü in Title Designer.

The attached screenshot shows how it looked in Title Designer & Preview.

So, I guess it's how PDR is interacting with the German keyboard setting.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Umlauts.jpg]
 Filename
Umlauts.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
169 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Just to be clear, in my previous post I meant that the ü displayed correctly when I first pasted it in to a title using the default font. It was only after I had found downloaded and installed "Adobe Heiti Std R" and switched the text to that font that the character was rotated.

I've tried the same character in MSWord with that font and it displays correctly so it seems to be PDR specific.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with ä Ä Ü ö Ö ß €.

Screenshot
[Thumb - sshot.jpg]
 Filename
sshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
0 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 16. 2018 04:28

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
For what it's worth I just copied the lower case umlaut u -> ü <- from Windows character map into a title box in my PD13 in Adobe Heiti Std R font and it displayed correctly. Could that be a workaround for you? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote For what it's worth I just copied the lower case umlaut u -> ü <- from Windows character map into a title box in my PD13 in Adobe Heiti Std R font and it displayed correctly. Could that be a workaround for you?

I don't think it has anything to do with a particular font. In my example the font worked perfectly except there was a wider than normal gap before and after the offending letter. The only difference was I used the Windows German keyboard. Of course, using the keyboard meant there was no need to paste. So perhaps the pasting action is the real culprit.

Anyway as seen in the above thread there are many workarounds so it's just a nuisance really.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all these ideas. I think the easiest way to handle this is perhaps to be careful what font I use, or just to use the German keyboard.