Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
File conversion
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone have any suggestions on software that will convert audio file extensions? Preferably free.
I have a CD that has .cda file extension. (see atch)
Windows Media won't play them. Haven't, as yet, tried any other software. Will look around and see what comes up.
I downloaded P2GO trial and clicked on Media Converter but would not import. Didn't see .cda in the list.
Have tried various converters offered on the internet but they won't work - either won't load or don't support .cda.
Just curious Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Does anyone have any suggestions on software that will convert audio file extensions? Preferably free.
Windows Media won't play them. Haven't, as yet, tried any other software. Will look around and see what comes up.
I downloaded P2GO trial and clicked on Media Converter but would not import. Didn't see .cda in the list.
Have tried various converters offered on the internet but they won't work - either won't load or don't support .cda.
Just curious

The Track??.cda files are shortcuts to a cd on your optical drive. They won’t play on your media player if you copied them to your hard drive. They are only 1k in size and cannot have music.

You can rip that CD with Power2Go which you have or better still do this: Open Window 7 media player. Go to Tools/Options/Rip Music. Choose the Format like wav, mp3, etc.. Check Rip CD automatically Click Apply, OK. Insert the CD into the optical drive. The CD will be ripped to the chosen folder.
Alan1948 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2007 18:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Does anyone have any suggestions on software that will convert audio file extensions? Preferably free.
Just curious

CDA is a file extension for a CD Audio shortcut file format. Used by Microsoft Windows to refer to audio tracks on a CD, a CDA file doesn’t contain audio but is simply a shortcut to the tracks on an audio disc.

See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/how-to-convert-cda-files-back-to-mp3-format/430c1a17-77f2-46ba-a190-4ab45d2f66cf?auth=1
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Does anyone have any suggestions on software that will convert audio file extensions? Preferably free. I have a CD that has .cda file extension. (see atch) Windows Media won't play them. Haven't, as yet, tried any other software. Will look around and see what comes up. I downloaded P2GO trial and clicked on Media Converter but would not import. Didn't see .cda in the list. Have tried various converters offered on the internet but they won't work - either won't load or don't support .cda. Just curious
CDA is a file extension for a CD Audio shortcut file format. Used by Microsoft Windows to refer to audio tracks on a CD, a CDA file doesn’t contain audio but is simply a shortcut to the tracks on an audio disc. See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/how-to-convert-cda-files-back-to-mp3-format/430c1a17-77f2-46ba-a190-4ab45d2f66cf?auth=1
Thanks Alan1948. I read that item about what cda extension is. Just curious as to what I can use to even play the cd. I've tried Windows and MPC HC and others and none of them work. Guess my wife spent money for nothing. I copied the CD but can't find anything that wll play it. Not sure why anyone would produce a disc using cda file extension. Thanks again. Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
sumerJ [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Nov 28, 2013 05:37 Messages: 377 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Does anyone have any suggestions on software that will convert audio file extensions? Preferably free. I have a CD that has .cda file extension. (see atch) Windows Media won't play them. Haven't, as yet, tried any other software. Will look around and see what comes up. I downloaded P2GO trial and clicked on Media Converter but would not import. Didn't see .cda in the list. Have tried various converters offered on the internet but they won't work - either won't load or don't support .cda. Just curious
CDA is a file extension for a CD Audio shortcut file format. Used by Microsoft Windows to refer to audio tracks on a CD, a CDA file doesn’t contain audio but is simply a shortcut to the tracks on an audio disc. See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/how-to-convert-cda-files-back-to-mp3-format/430c1a17-77f2-46ba-a190-4ab45d2f66cf?auth=1
Thanks Alan1948. I read that item about what cda extension is. Just curious as to what I can use to even play the cd. I've tried Windows and MPC HC and others and none of them work. Guess my wife spent money for nothing. I copied the CD but can't find anything that wll play it. Not sure why anyone would produce a disc using cda file extension. Thanks again.
tomasc is right for this question. just follow what tomasc said and it can convert the audio cd into files which can playback on your computer and mobile phone.
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Alan1948. I read that item about what cda extension is. Just curious as to what I can use to even play the cd. I've tried Windows and MPC HC and others and none of them work. Guess my wife spent money for nothing. I copied the CD but can't find anything that wll play it. Not sure why anyone would produce a disc using cda file extension. Thanks again.
tomasc is right for this question. just follow what tomasc said and it can convert the audio cd into files which can playback on your computer and mobile phone.

Thanks sumerj.
Not a problem now. I used Power2Go and it will change those CDs to MP3. Jack