Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Black Screen When Rendering
Rob1980 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2017 05:46 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

Ive recently upgraded to a much better PC however I am having problems getting cyberlink to render videos using H.265 HEVC. When completed all I see is a black screen but can hear the audio no problem. I have tried with unticking fast video rendering but still same problems. I can render videos using H.264 AVC no problems.

I have tried uninstalling cyberlink, I have tired using Cyberlink 15 & 16 but still the same problems.

If it helps my specs are

i7-7700k
32GB Ram
1080TI GPU

I had no problems on my old PC so this I find frustrating. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
according to JL_JL or Tomasc, it's your GPU. update the driver that works. also install K-Lite Codec Pack . and or disable all HA and use CPU only rendering...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2018 19:03

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Rob1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote according to JL_JL or Tomasc, it's your GPU. update the driver that works. also install K-Lite Codec Pack . and or disable all HA and use CPU only rendering...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for replying

I am a bit of a newbie at all this. I have downloaded the l K-Lite Codec Pack as you suggested, though I am not sure what to do with it. My graphics card is a good one so I am suprised I cannot use it. I have opened a support ticket in the hope of some detailed help. But I realised today that if I upload these black screen videos to YouTube they work exactly how they should and in fantastic quality
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote according to JL_JL or Tomasc, it's your GPU. update the driver that works. also install K-Lite Codec Pack . and or disable all HA and use CPU only rendering...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for replying

I am a bit of a newbie at all this. I have downloaded the l K-Lite Codec Pack as you suggested, though I am not sure what to do with it. My graphics card is a good one so I am suprised I cannot use it. I have opened a support ticket in the hope of some detailed help. But I realised today that if I upload these black screen videos to YouTube they work exactly how they should and in fantastic quality

Hi Rob

Would this be a trial version? If so, H265 is not supported

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Rob1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for replying

Hi Rob

Robert

Hi, no trial version, I paid for the PowerDirector15 then paid for the PowerDirector 16 update while it was on sale. I have tried with both versions on new pc and still same problem
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for replying

Hi Rob

Robert

Hi, no trial version, I paid for the PowerDirector15 then paid for the PowerDirector 16 update while it was on sale. I have tried with both versions on new pc and still same problem

You can try disabling Hardware Acceleration in Prefences. This may help, if not, no harm done. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... have downloaded the l K-Lite Codec Pack as you suggested, though I am not sure what to do with it ...

you have cpu that can encode and decode HEVC H.265. when you play all you see is black is due to missing codec. well, if you don't know what to do with it then you'll be just keep getting BLACK SCREEN!!! aren't you???

' UPDATE the driver(gpu) that works. also INSTALL K-Lite Codec Pack . and or DISABLE all HA and USE CPU ONLY rendering... ' try again in that order!

if this doesn't work then you need to open a CL support ticket.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Rob1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ... have downloaded the l K-Lite Codec Pack as you suggested, though I am not sure what to do with it ...

you have cpu that can encode and decode HEVC H.265. when you play all you see is black is due to missing codec. well, if you don't know what to do with it then you'll be just keep getting BLACK SCREEN!!! aren't you???

' UPDATE the driver(gpu) that works. also INSTALL K-Lite Codec Pack . and or DISABLE all HA and USE CPU ONLY rendering... ' try again in that order!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

I have already opened a ticket. Thanks for the help but your sarcastic and unfriendly manner does not help. As stated I am new to all this. I will leave this to the support to handle.

Thanks for your time

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2018 10:45

The Shadowman
[Post New]

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

I have already opened a ticket. Thanks for the help but your sarcastic and unfriendly manner does not help. As stated I am new to all this. I will leave this to the support to handle.

Thanks for your time

Hi Rob
Take no notice. Sometimes the written word comes across as unfriendly.

did you try disabling Hardware Acceleration? Also tell us what format you are editing with. Is MP4 or mov, maybe. Let us know.

Rob1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for your time

Hi Rob

did you try disabling Hardware Acceleration? Also tell us what format you are editing with. Is MP4 or mov, maybe. Let us know.

Robert

I have indeed tried disabling Hardware Acceleration but problem still exists. I am using mp4. I have tried a few resolutions too but unsuccessful.

Thanks
The Shadowman
[Post New]

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for your time

Hi Rob

Robert

I have indeed tried disabling Hardware Acceleration but problem still exists. I am using mp4. I have tried a few resolutions too but unsuccessful.

Thanks

OK. If you have disabled HA. Have you updated to the latest patch 2313? https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
The Shadowman
[Post New]

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for your time

Hi Rob

Robert

Thanks

OK. If you have disabled HA. Have you updated to the latest patch 2313? [url=https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html
]https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html
[/url]

Rob

When you downloaded the K-lite codec pack did you get as far as the clicking on "finish" If so it should be ready automatically. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Rob1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Yes I did, but as previously mentioned I didn't really know what I was doing with it.

I am not as panicked as before as I know the Videos that are rendered with H.265 actually work when uploaded to youtube. I can also get them to play back when using the media player included with that K-lite codec pack and has I have just this second discovered windows media player. I think it's to do with whatever the defualt player is on Windows when you right click and play the videos'. I guess the easies thing to do is to change the default player
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Hi, Yes I did, but as previously mentioned I didn't really know what I was doing with it.

I am not as panicked as before as I know the Videos that are rendered with H.265 actually work when uploaded to youtube. I can also get them to play back when using the media player included with that K-lite codec pack and has I have just this second discovered windows media player. I think it's to do with whatever the defualt player is on Windows when you right click and play the videos'. I guess the easies thing to do is to change the default player

Once you have pressed the finish button on the K-lite installation you dont have to do anything. The codecs are installed and will be used automatically.

I am a bit confused though -you say your videos play on media players and Youtube. When are you getting the black screen?

A good media player to download and use would be the VLC media player https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html

Rob1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi, Yes I did, but as previously mentioned I didn't really know what I was doing with it.

Once you have pressed the finish button on the K-lite installation you dont have to do anything. The codecs are installed and will be used automatically.

I am a bit confused though -you say your videos play on media players and Youtube. When are you getting the black screen?

A good media player to download and use would be the VLC media player https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html

Robert

Normally I doule click on the finished video file and it would play as normal. When I do that now I just get the black screen with audio. I don't know what the defualt player is on Windows, it comes up as films and tv, but I have now opened with Windows Media Player and the player that came with the K-lite and the videos appear to be fine.

It seems strange I know, I used to be able just to click on the video and it would play normally
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Robert

Normally I doule click on the finished video file and it would play as normal. When I do that now I just get the black screen with audio. I don't know what the defualt player is on Windows, it comes up as films and tv, but I have now opened with Windows Media Player and the player that came with the K-lite and the videos appear to be fine.

It seems strange I know, I used to be able just to click on the video and it would play normally

I think you just need to make sure your default player supports H265, and all will be well. All will be weller if you use H264 instead. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob -

So - it's a media player issue, rather than a PDR production problem.

You can set your default video player in Settings > Apps > Default Apps, where you can also choose default apps by file type.

Not all players are good at playing back HEVC H.265 encoded videos.

Win10 Films & TV, GOM Player, MPC-HC, WMP & POT Player have no problems with 4K/UHD or 1920x1080 MP4s (HEVC H.265)

VLC Player & 5K Player are OK with 1920x1080, but playback is choppy/broken up with 4K/UHD

Quicktime Player won't even attempt it.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Haven't tested those players with MKV or M2TS, encoded with HEVC
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Hi Rob -

So - it's a media player issue, rather than a PDR production problem.

You can set your default video player in Settings > Apps > Default Apps, where you can also choose default apps by file type.

Not all players are good at playing back HEVC H.265 encoded videos.

Win10 Films & TV, GOM Player, MPC-HC, WMP & POT Player have no problems with 4K/UHD or 1920x1080 MP4s (HEVC H.265)

VLC Player & 5K Player are OK with 1920x1080, but playback is choppy/broken up with 4K/UHD

Quicktime Player won't even attempt it.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Haven't tested those players with MKV or M2TS, encoded with HEVC

Tony, as always, is absolutely right. When I suggested VLC player I was not aware it was the default player that was causing the problem.

Indeed, VLC will not play H265 on my setup.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Tony, as always, is absolutely right.

Ha ha - my ex-wife would argue the exact opposite. The truth is probably somewhere in between smile

I've run some tests on those media players with HEVC H.265 videos produced in PDR16 - M2TS & MKV.

As above, Win10 Films & TV, GOM Player, MPC-HC, WMP & POT Player have no problems with 4K/UHD or 1920x1080 M2TS & MKV (HEVC H.265)

VLC Player is also perfectly fine with both 1920x1080 & 4K/UHD - both M2TS & MKV. Not sure why MP4s won't play properly.

5K Player freezes on the first video frame in all M2TS tests, & playback is choppy/broken up with MKVs.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!