Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Combine Video and Photos
[Post New]
I am wanting to use PDUltimate16 to make a presentation video. I want to know the following:

1) Can videos, and photos (jpegs), and PD generated text, be combined to make a DVD movie? Can that movie have chapters or a menu for the DVD?
2) I do not want to make a dedicated slideshow.
3) When I insert a photo I want to be able to extend it's timeline presence so that spoken audio can be added to describe the photo(s). Is it possible, for example, to make a photo last for 5 minutes?
4) Can frames of PD generated text be made by using PD? Can the presence of the frames of text be extended on the timeline so that spoken audio can be added? Is it possible, for example, to make a frame of text only last for 5 minutes?
5.) Is there a way that PD can animate frames of text? In other words can text be made to fly into a frame?
6.) Is all the above accomplished via seperate video, audio, and title tracks?

If the above can be accomplished is it straightforward or are there tricky workarounds required to make all of the above happen?

Thanks ahead of time for your help and advice.

Dekade
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am wanting to use PDUltimate16 to make a presentation video. I want to know the following:

1) Can videos, and photos (jpegs), and PD generated text, be combined to make a DVD movie? Can that movie have chapters or a menu for the DVD?
3) When I insert a photo I want to be able to extend it's timeline presence so that spoken audio can be added to describe the photo(s). Is it possible, for example, to make a photo last for 5 minutes?
4) Can frames of PD generated text be made by using PD? Can the presence of the frames of text be extended on the timeline so that spoken audio can be added? Is it possible, for example, to make a frame of text only last for 5 minutes?
5.) Is there a way that PD can animate frames of text? In other words can text be made to fly into a frame?

If the above can be accomplished is it straightforward or are there tricky workarounds required to make all of the above happen?

Dekade

1) Yes.
2) Okay.
3) Yes.
4) I don't know what "frames of text" are.
5) Have you played with the Title Designer? There is little limit to what it can do!
6) It can be.
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
I dont produce to DVD so cant help there.

Put the photo on the timeline and either drag an edge out to match the duration of the audio or highlight the photo in the timeline and then select duration on the control bar above the timeline. There you can set the duration to match the audio.

Title designer is very powerful. Look at all the tutorials available on Director Zone and YouTube.
Take the time to experiment with it. Best easy option is go through the title templates. There may be something there that meets your needs.
You can create the text you want there as well and once on the timeline pause playback and use the snapshot tool under the preview window to take a picture. It will store in your library after you file it. Then you can do the same as above by bringing it down to the timeline and adjusting duration.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 18. 2018 22:18

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am wanting to use PDUltimate16 to make a presentation video. I want to know the following:

Dekade

1 - YES
2 - You can have photos and video together I do it all the time
3 - You can stretch the photo use the microphone and describe your photo getting the photo and audio perfect
4 - Not sure what you mean by this
5 - YES - has many animation you can use
6 - YES

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19. 2018 08:45

PowerDirector Tutorials Team
[Post New]
Sorry everyone for my mumble jumble on point number 4.

I have yet to go into a lot of playing around, but, am right now preparing to do so. I was basically trying to get a feel from the forum as to the versatility of the software. From the replies I received - I now assume that I can insert a colored background and then type some text on top of it - even aninate that text if I choose - then make it's duration whatever I choose - Correct?

I would also assume that I could do the same with some text on top of a video or on top of a photo. I am not interested in templates -UNLESS- templates are the only way to insert/manipulate text (which I doubt is the case). I wish to do everything manually.

I used the forum to help me decide if I should or should not go down the path of some INTENSE design and editing time. I'm willing to go into the thick of things . . . Just trying to make sure up front that what I want to accomplish - can get accomplished.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dekade -

All of that looks like "bread & butter" for PDR (and any other similar software I can think of). As others have suggested, the best way to find that out is to start building a simple project.

To insert text, you musy begin with some kind of template even if it's the most basic "Default". Then you can modify it as you wish.

Whatever you want on screen - video, photo, text, graphic - gets inserted into a timeline. Then it's edited - duration, effects, keyframes etc - as you want. Whatever's on the highest numbered track will be "on top", so if you have a video in track 1 & text (title) in track 2, at the same timeline position, the text will overlay the video.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, you provide a few good tidbits regarding "on top" ranking.

Regarding your handle "ynotfish" --- Because it's been brutally cold here in Northwest Indiana USA - and - I'm afraid of ice. cool
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]

Dekade

You can find 200+ short tutorials about the techniques you want to learn at sharperturtle.com
[Post New]
Quote You can find 200+ short tutorials about the techniques you want to learn at sharperturtle.com

That was a very helpful suggestion. I was amazed when I went and looked at those tuts.

I had used Power Director back in version 9 and then did a trial run of PD13. For some reason or the other I got aggravated with the program. I think it might have caused some crashing or something. Now with PD16 it appears as though the program has really escalated in its popularity and versatility. I think I might now enjoy it over Corel Video Studio.