Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screen Capture Limited Output Size
CyberBilly77 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 23, 2017 04:32 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Experienced Ones!

When using Screen Capture in PwD the resulting video is somewhat small. There's almost 1/2 inch black bar at top and bottom when playing back in VLC player (for example). The biggest overall I can get is by using Custom screen size when recording. This at least gives me more width in finished product -- good -- but the top and bottom black bars remain the same, no matter what resolution or format.

Playback in PwD looks full screen top to bottom in review/edit/playback -- but that is not the case with external player -- and so final version.

Black bars at side are acceptable depending on screen capture width -- but why the big reduction top to bottom?

Any way to fix and/or enlarge this final capture product?

Thanks for any advice,
~CyberBilly
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
I believe VLC defaults to a certain height determined by the width of a video. Just resize the VLC window until the top and bottom are to the edges of the video. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
CyberBilly77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Myk....

But that's exactly what I was noticing: Increased width (by using Custom screen capture size) does NOT change the exact/consistent size of black bars top and bottom. I get a wider end result (which is good) but black bars top and bottom remain exactly the same.

This represents what I'm going to see via ANY default player, IMO -- YouTube, embedded website video, etc.

It's not the viewing on VLC that matters in particular, but the viewer's experience on whatever player ends up playing this thing. It's to be a walk-through instructional video embedded on a website.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi CyberBilly77 -

I'm struggling to see what the issue is. CL Screen Recorder caaptures the screen according to your settings.

If you have a 1920x1080 16:9 screen & that's how you set Screen Recorder, that's what you'll get. If you change the resolution to only record part of the screen, that's what you get. If you unlock aspect ratio and record, you're likely to get odd results in playback because of how players may be set up. Many media players I use can be set to playback a variety of common aspect ratios.

The bottom line is that your final production of the walk-through instructional video will need to meet the requirements of the video player on the website in question. If it has a 16:9 player, which is typical, that's how you should record your screen capture. e.g. because most of my screen captures end up on YouTube, which has a 16:9 player, that's how I record.

Maybe if you give a bit more information or post some screenshots, the problem would be clearer.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CyberBilly77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony!

Of course you're right... ultimately the finished video has to meet site player requirements (I don't know what those are yet). But in the meantime -- while I'm learning -- screen capture tests (whatever aspect ratio or resolution I try) play on my VLC player with 1/3 inch black bars top and bottom. Other vids played with VLC fill the screen at least top to bottom. Don't they? All according to my recollection.

Attached is a brief screen capture just made (no sound). If you play it on your VLC you'll see what I mean with bars top and bottom. Does that seem normal to you? It's at highest res and 16:9 ratio.

Thanks for feedback!
~CyberBilly
 Filename
TestRun_20180104213243.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3595 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
253 time(s)
CyberBilly77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony!

Of course you're right... ultimately the finished video has to meet site player requirements (I don't know what those are yet). But in the meantime -- while I'm learning -- screen capture tests (whatever aspect ratio or resolution I try) play on my VLC player with 1/3 inch black bars top and bottom. Other vids played with VLC fill the screen at least top to bottom. Don't they? All according to my recollection.

Attached is a brief screen capture just made (no sound). If you play it on your VLC you'll see what I mean with bars top and bottom. Does that seem normal to you? It's at highest res and 16:9 ratio.

Thanks for feedback!
~CyberBilly
 Filename
TestRun_20180104213650.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2160 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
274 time(s)
CyberBilly77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oops... it didn't appear to upload the first time. I shortened the capture and tried again.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
You're right too. There's something amiss there.

With my browser maximised, & zoomed to 150%, I used CL Screen Recorder to capture the same page. I had it set on Full Screen on a 1920x1080 monitor.

Screenshots from your capture & mine are attached.

Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - CyberBilly.png]
 Filename
CyberBilly.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
777 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - ynotfish.png]
 Filename
ynotfish.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
641 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CyberBilly77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony... Bingo!

It finally twigged when you asked about settings (my own computer Display settings, of course). These I usually keep altered to a 4:3 resolution to match my older 4:3-ish monitor. I hadn't thought that this would alter my VLC screen AND its relationship to playing vids captured in various resolutions. But of course it does.

And it IS called Screen Capture, after all. Duh! Which also means Display Capture (not to mention importance of what Display settings are used to playback with VLC, or whatever).

When I alter my screen res to mimick 16:9 ratio and play back likewise, I get no bars at top and bottom in VLC. It was all about my wacky 3:4 screen and display res.

Thanks so much for helping me figure it out!

Cheers and best wishes,
~CyberBilly