Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline Is Upsidedown
Tumithak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2017 21:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I just bought powerdirctor 16. I've been editing videos for a while with other software and it's hard to get used to the timeline in this program. With video editors I've used before, track one was at the bottom of the timeline. They were arranged in ascending order. The timeline for powerdirector seems upsidedown to me. It's hard to wrap my head around, if you want a clip above another clip in your finished video, you have to place it below on the timeline. It's counterintuitive.

Is there a way to invert the tracks? That is, place track one at the bottom, track two above that one and so on. So when you put a clip above another clip, it actually shows that way in the finished video?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I just bought powerdirctor 16. I've been editing videos for a while with other software and it's hard to get used to the timeline in this program. With video editors I've used before, track one was at the bottom of the timeline. They were arranged in ascending order. The timeline for powerdirector seems upsidedown to me. It's hard to wrap my head around, if you want a clip above another clip in your finished video, you have to place it below on the timeline. It's counterintuitive.

Is there a way to invert the tracks? That is, place track one at the bottom, track two above that one and so on. So when you put a clip above another clip, it actually shows that way in the finished video?

Hi Tumithak
Welcome to the forum.

PDR is designed that the Last track on your timeline is the FIRST track you see in the preview panel and when you Produce your project.

I use other video editing software when the TOP track is the one you see first and like you have said.
You do have the abiliy to turn off tracks using the tick boxes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2017 23:30

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Phil_cbd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2017 01:15 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I just bought powerdirctor 16. I've been editing videos for a while with other software and it's hard to get used to the timeline in this program. With video editors I've used before, track one was at the bottom of the timeline. They were arranged in ascending order. The timeline for powerdirector seems upsidedown to me. It's hard to wrap my head around, if you want a clip above another clip in your finished video, you have to place it below on the timeline. It's counterintuitive.

Hi Tumithak, did you ever find out if reversing the track order/precedence is possible? I have the same problem in that I want to have my 'A Camera' track immediately below the editing controls with only a 'Title' track above it. The 'Bottom Track Up' order is frustrating when using a number of cameras and sound tracks and having to scroll down and lose sight of the main track. A choice in 'Preferences' for 'Top Track Down' or 'Bottom Track Up' would be perfect. This could be be a good reason to upgrade to PowerDirector 17 perhaps!...
Silverback67 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2018 15:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This odd reversal of top track visually being on the bottom layer of the timeline is precisely why I do not reccomend this software to anyone. It's a shame, as I LOVE the software otherwise, but it is so counter-intuitive and backwards to ALL other software.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This odd reversal of top track visually being on the bottom layer of the timeline is precisely why I do not reccomend this software to anyone. It's a shame, as I LOVE the software otherwise, but it is so counter-intuitive and backwards to ALL other software.

This thread is 2 years old, and I don't think it's relevant now. PD18/365 has the option to have the track 1 at the bottom for anyone who wants to edit that way:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2019 21:34