Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Replaced PD 15
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
First off.
I am dumb.
Upgraded to PD16 today and replaced PD15 because I didnt think I needed it. Plus PD asked me if I wanted to do so but didnt warn me that I may still need it. So some of the features I paid for in 16 (New Blue) dont work. I see on the forums that I can still use them in 15. But thats removed. Dumb
I still have the download links and keys from when I purchased 15 last year. 12/27/17 to be exact. Can I still use these to get 15 back? If so how do I integrate 15 features with 16 ?
Next:
I want to back up 16 on an external drive and disk because I will be moving to a new machine at some point. I did not do this with 15. Dumb
Do I back up the actual download files or the installed program files ? Capture 1 and 2 attached.
If its the download files I would assume all I need to do is run them and install.
For the record PD 15 was the first program I really ever installed on my own so I had no prior experience with what I am asking.
Thank you in advance for your patience
Scott
Oh yeah....where is the link to director zone in PD 16 ? Used to be top right of screen ?
[Thumb - Capture 2.PNG]
 Filename
Capture 2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You copy all of the files shown in your Capture.PNG.
Do I back up the actual download files
Yes those are the correct files to copy to external storage.

You can store them on an external Hard drive or burn them to optical media or store them on your Cloud account. I prefer backup to USB external hard drive.

You should always save downloaded programs to external storage as soon as your get them downloaded. Download links do not last forever. You have a limited time to download any paid program.

Since you paid for PD 15, you can contact Cyberlink support and ask for the download again. You would need proof of purchase.

Understand that Upgrade versions of Cyberlink Powerdirector, nearly always require the previous version and will remove previous versions.

Full versions can all live together on a single computer. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You copy all of the files shown in your Capture.PNG.
Do I back up the actual download files
Yes those are the correct files to copy to external storage.

You can store them on an external Hard drive or burn them to optical media or store them on your Cloud account. I prefer backup to USB external hard drive.

You should always save downloaded programs to external storage as soon as your get them downloaded. Download links do not last forever. You have a limited time to download any paid program.

Since you paid for PD 15, you can contact Cyberlink support and ask for the download again. You would need proof of purchase.

Understand that Upgrade versions of Cyberlink Powerdirector, nearly always require the previous version and will remove previous versions.

Full versions can all live together on a single computer.

Thank you Carl. You answered everything for me. I appreciate your timely response. So I am not dumb afterall. PD upgrade removes the old version automatically. I feel better now. ____________________________________

[Post New]
Yeah, that's the "price" that you pay for the "upgrade", you have only one copy of PD.
Only the full price versions don't touch the previous ones.
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Quote Yeah, that's the "price" that you pay for the "upgrade", you have only one copy of PD.
Only the full price versions don't touch the previous ones.

In a perfect world I really shouldnt need 15 after the upgrade. I dont get to keep my cars after I trade them in for a newer one....and I get a better price on the new one. As long as the new one works and ALL the new features work then I shouldnt want to keep my old car. Right ? (tongue somewhat in cheek) ____________________________________

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
"I dont get to keep my cars after I trade them in for a newer one....and I get a better price on the new one."

And of course the car would be owned by you after you paid for it. What you are buying with PDR is a licence to use the software, it always belongs to Cyberlink.
[Post New]
Quote "I dont get to keep my cars after I trade them in for a newer one....and I get a better price on the new one."

And of course the car would be owned by you after you paid for it. What you are buying with PDR is a licence to use the software, it always belongs to Cyberlink.

Well, in the "car" world that would be equivalent to perpetual leasing (with no option to buy at the "end").
fishycomics [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2010 11:35 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I save the email. I reloaded PD15 it will use some of the same programmed files. there are deals upgrading can cost a few dolalrs more then getting it new, the last sale was $52.00 less a penny for an ugrade. new was $49.00 and maybe a feature was one less.
Was the PD upgrade worth it???
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Quote I save the email. I reloaded PD15 it will use some of the same programmed files. there are deals upgrading can cost a few dolalrs more then getting it new, the last sale was $52.00 less a penny for an ugrade. new was $49.00 and maybe a feature was one less.
Was the PD upgrade worth it???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2018 23:13

Peter Podder
[Post New]
Ok so now I have a new machine and of course I downloaded all the PD 16 files but cant install them without a copy of 15 on my machine. Submitted a request to CL with my old order # from 15 (proof of purchase) and hopefully they will allow.

In the meantime.....is it possible to copy PD 16 from my old machine to my new one ? Or because 15 is gone what shows as 16 in my program files is just the "upgrade" portion of the program.

Thats what I am suspecting but figured I would ask.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2018 23:16

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
hey, how's your new dell??? she's fast isn't she. she's younger than my dell xps. i was referring myself to as an old fart. ^^

most of the time when i've re-installed upgrades, PD will just ask me to provide the older version of PD product key which you can find it on your account with CL.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19. 2018 15:05

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Quote hey, how's your new dell??? she's fast isn't she. she's younger than my dell xps. i was referring myself to as an old fart. ^^

most of the time when i've installed upgrades, PD will just ask me to provide the older version of PD product key which you can find it on your account with CL.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

I gotta tell ya....for $300 its quite nice.....Like a brand new classic muscle car....at original MSRP. Or the car Grandma used to go back and forth to Church with ! Except with a little hot rod engine. Thank you for your help.....

B grade is what I got and it looks more like A+ Like brand new. These are old corporate leases figured it would have some wear...but no. I am old school too I like the beefier size...not flimsy at all.

Seems fast for what I have done so far. Downloading PD took forever because there were 10 wifi connections to my home router at the time. I was going into the app and ramdomly dropping gaming family members to get the chunky files to upload. Once done 3 hrs+ later I realized that I cant install PD yet . Wasnt too happy about that. Lesson learned....next version will be CD

Watched some videos on YT. Super easy to swap out the HDD for SSD like you said. I used to be a tech guy.....but took a break for about........20 years LOL so its taking a little time to re-self teach myself. Swaps on this look like a breeze.

Havent decided if I want to move to WX or not. Sexy interface and some cool file mgmt features but sounds like PD doesnt always get along. We'll see.

Trying the 15 keys now.............lets see what happens

You da man Pepsi.....thanks

Sorry I hijacked my own post a bit here......lotta coffee today.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 19. 2018 02:49

Peter Podder
[Post New]
Got it to load with the old and new keys. Thanks Pepsi....
Opened PD and it loaded a project quite fast...inpressive..however....as the thumbs loaded and I guess shadows were being created the CPU was maxed out at 100% on all 8 cores. GPU not being utilized. After a a few minutes it normalized but it was still all CPU. And it was struggling. Gotta look into the built in to dedicated switch over on that particular set up.
More reading in my near future still...ARGH ! ____________________________________

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... as the thumbs loaded and I guess shadows were being created ...

i don't know what resolution you're working on but my dell xps l702x with i7-2720qm(6113) gt 550m(720), i don't use shadow files at all even the 4K. it takes too much time creating shadow files... so, i use MPC-HC x64 as i edit. ^^ 1080 FHD, nope! no shadow files needed.

you gotta have a storyboard in your head... ^^ if you're not editing 4K then try shadow files disabled...

if you switch to wX, then expect little slow down... slow down is noticeable on my dell xps with wX!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 20. 2018 16:12

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Quote ... as the thumbs loaded and I guess shadows were being created ...

i don't now what resolution you're working on but my dell xps l702x with i7-2720qm(6113) gt 550m(720), i don't use shadow files at all even the 4K. it takes too much time creating shadow files... so, i use MPC-HC x64 as i edit. ^^ 1080 FHD, nope! no shadow files needed.

you gotta have a storyboard in your head... ^^ if you're not editing 4K then try shadow files disabled...

if you switch to wX, then expect little slow down... slow down is noticeable on my dell xps with wX!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

1920x1080
Old machine needed shadows enabled or it belched.......turned OFF on new machine ,as you suggested and it is FLYING with no issues so far. Only running a 2 minute edit with minimal effects but it is performing very well. Produce times much much quicker. Still only using CPU that I can tell but its staying cool and seems to be fine. I still need to figure out the GPU thing....but for now I am VERY pleased.

I cant thank you enough from start to finish for your help PepsiMan.....best $300 I ever spent. Old farts RULE ! ____________________________________