Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Drawing shapes in Director
Pj435 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2017 14:22 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
How do I draw basic shapes like rectangles, circles, arrows, etc. in Director?

Thx
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Thx
Powerdirector has free hand drawing ability. Found in Video Overlay ( F5 ) formerly known as PIP Objects Room.
I would recommend that for drawing shapes you use a photo editor software that can draw those shapes.

Paint.net is a great free Photo editor and great at creating shapes. There are many Powerdirector tutorials that use Panit.net for creating shapes and other PNG images.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pj435 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Thx
Powerdirector has free hand drawing ability. Found in Video Overlay ( F5 ) formerly known as PIP Objects Room.
I would recommend that for drawing shapes you use a photo editor software that can draw those shapes.

Paint.net is a great free Photo editor and great at creating shapes. There are many Powerdirector tutorials that use Panit.net for creating shapes and other PNG images.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots

Thank you for the response, but I did not find any such tutorials in the provided link. Would you please point me to a specific video.
Again, just to clarify, I'm not asking about inserting images into the video, I'm asking abour drawing geometric shapes, e.g. draw a rectangular box with a certain border thickness around an object in the video clip, and adjust the thickness if needed. This is something I would have expected to find in the paint designer you mentioned, but it seems it only has the 'free hand' drawing and no shapes. Not even a straight line is possible there, which makes it useless to me.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 25. 2017 21:51

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Thx

https://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots

Thank you for the response, but I did not find any such tutorials in the provided link. Would you please point me to a specific video.
Again, just to clarify, I'm not asking about inserting images into the video, I'm asking abour drawing geometric shapes, e.g. draw a rectangular box with a certain border thickness around an object in the video clip, and adjust the thickness if needed. This is something I would have expected to find in the paint designer you mentioned, but it seems it only has the 'free hand' drawing and no shapes. Not even a straight line is possible there, which makes it useless to me.
There are several.
Search for 'Paint.net', Click the link below.
Search for paint.net links
The See-Through tutorial shows one of the best features of Paint.net's ability. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pjiojreoetoeu8435 -

Even though PDR has Paint Designer, where you can create hand drawn animations, it's NOT the right software for drawing geometric shapes. That's why Carl has been suggesting using graphics software, like Paint.NET.

Paint Designer does allow you to draw shapes, but it relies heavily on how steady you are with your mouse, trackpad or tablet. If you're after a nice clean shape, it's best to make it elsewhere.

You haven't mentioned whether you want to have the shape appear as if it's being drawn or just "plonked" there. That changes how you need to go about it. The second option is much simpler. Here's a tutorial showing how to prepare your shape on a transparent background.

Getting the drawn animation is quite a bit more complex. Here's what I mean by draw or plonk.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2017 21:58

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Pj435 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Pjiojreoetoeu8435 -

Even though PDR has Paint Designer, where you can create hand drawn animations, it's NOT the right software for drawing geometric shapes. That's why Carl has been suggesting using graphics software, like Paint.NET.

Thank you.
Yes, I realize that, as I mentioned previously. That is the reason I've posted here to ask about ways to achieve what paint designer cannot do with respect to shapes.

With regards to the plonk or draw, I'm talking about a plonk, no animations whatsoever.

I saw the guides about Paint.NET. Here is the problem with creating a shape in an external graphics paogram, saving it as an image, and then importing into PD. In PD, I can only edit the image (e.g. scale, rotate, etc.) but I cannot edit the properties of the raw shape itself, such as line thickness, color, etc. So, for every adjustment I want to make to the raw shape, I would have to go back to the image editor, save another image, imprort in PD, etc etc etc. I was looking for a way to directly create shapes overlayed on the video clip, and make adjustments on the fly, exactly like designing titles.
Here is an analogy you will understand. Say, for example, PD didn't have the capability of designing titles, and instead you had to use an external image app to design it, and for every edit (e.g. font adjustment, size, etc.) you had to go back to the image editor, save as image, import, etc. You can imagine how cumbersome that would be.
So, in short, I was looking for a tool in PD that would have the basic functionality of the paint designer (e.g. adjusting the line thickness, color, etc.), that also comes with some geometric shapes included. That's it.

Here is an example of another video editor that has the feature I was seeking in PD:

The funny thing is that AVS video editor is supposed to be much less advanced than PD, but it does have shape drawnig.

Another method I've seen is where the video editior integrates with a graphics editor, similar to Magix Movie Edit Pro and Xara Designer. If you have both installed on your computer, you can use Xara's drawing capability within the video editor.
So I wonder if PowerDirector can possibly integrate with PhotoDirector in a similar fashion...

I hope I've provided a more clear explanation this time. THank you.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2017 08:05

fishycomics [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2010 11:35 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Coral did they not go belly up? from their editing program offered c/p
Record painting simply vidit coral video edtt softwre and you'll search for video studio ultimate 10X something like that

Or do you mean Rotopen

I remember using corel a number of years ago and liked the paint recording feature IMHO
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pj435 -

I totally agree with you that it would be an extremely useful feature, as you & fishycomics have shown in other software... but it's not part of PDR at the moment.

We're stuck with doing that sort of thing in other graphics software. Yes - it takes a few extra steps & I understand what you're saying about editing the shape on the fly, but that's just how it is.

I have a way of generating the right shapes in Paint.NET that works for my purposes... and it's pretty simple.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
fishycomics [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2010 11:35 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
took me a re-read lol thanksto Carl I remembered PD16U had the paint. not to hard t ouse but it's not what you gonna want to do for perfect lines As you see in the program what the Designers made it will take some thought of your own to do that. so if I were t draw an arrow pointing to me you are going to see every single thing I do. you have to take the extra step to simply show the arrow as a photo and that may be a extra step or two to do there if it takes you ten minutes to draw on a 5 second clip your overlay will be 10 minutes. because you're using a recorder. PD needs to allow us a freeze frame also?
IMHO my thoughts out loud. great for road trips, I can draw on a 360 video. so as we advance to newer camera's so does our editor that is a good thing. there are tut's on the question is will I use this, No. I keep today basic, takes to much my time if asked thought I share again my opinion Marker is DULL no way to increase its marking Lol

" alt="" id="__mcenew" />" alt="" id="__mcenew" />" alt="" id="__mcenew" />" alt="" id="__mcenew" />

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2017 15:29

Jelbuilder [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 07, 2019 03:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Pjiojreoetoeu8435 -

Paint Designer does allow you to draw shapes, but it relies heavily on how steady you are with your mouse, trackpad or tablet. If you're after a nice clean shape, it's best to make it elsewhere.

You haven't mentioned whether you want to have the shape appear as if it's being drawn or just "plonked" there. That changes how you need to go about it. The second option is much simpler. Here's a tutorial showing how to prepare your shape on a transparent background.

Getting the drawn animation is quite a bit more complex. Here's what I mean by draw or plonk.

Cheers - Tony

Hi, any chance you could elaborate on how you did the animation for drawing the box or oval shape? Thanks.