Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
360 vr editing
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
I am ready to bite the bullet and try 360 video.

After several weeks of researching I have found that the Yi 360 VR camera is the best out there ($399).

Questions:

Will the editing software handle the 5.7 format?
Will the editing software handle stitching?

Looks lik stabization and other tools has b en added to the PD 16 ULT version.

Awsome forum.

Regards,

Alan
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Most 360 video cameras come with software for stiching the video. This must be performed first before importing into any editing program, such as PowerDirector

This camera software should be able to output it in the required equirectangular format MP4 (H.264).

David

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Most 360 video cameras come with software for stiching the video. This must be performed first before importing into any editing program, such as PowerDirector

This camera software should be able to output it in the required equirectangular format MP4 (H.264).

David

Thanks for your input. This camera does stitch the vdeo and the output is mp4/h.264. I assume PD 16 ult can edit this software and produce it in the HD format.

The 360 editing output to view is not good (to a 360 video). And that is because of the volume of data in the file.

The great 360 cameras go from $17,000 to $98,000. That is a bit much for playing with it and testing how to do 360 processing.

Looks like I may have to learn the difference between 360 and 3D. In my head I understand but processing may be a whole different ballgame.

Thanks again,

Alan
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
PD16 cannot stitch 360° videos from the original footage. But it can handle the 360° result from the stitching program. It should be equirectangular. For the YI 360 vr, the stitching programm seems to be YI 360 studio desktop software (for windows).
I suggest to stitch the footage with the software, not with the camera. The result should be of higher quality. And after that, you can edit the video with PD16.
There are two ways of getting a final result in PD16:
Either a 360° video: You don't loose the 360° character of the film. The result is 360°
Or a 2D video: You can keyframe the view of your 360° video, the result is not 360°, but standard 2D.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Do you like the camera in general? How is the resulting video?
How many cameras are/will you using? 1, 4, 7?
I'm considering getting 360º of our next show.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2017 09:40

Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Do you like the camera in general? How is the resulting video?
How many cameras are/will you using? 1, 4, 7?
I'm considering getting 360º of our next show.

Don't have the camera yet - but my research for the last couple of weeks shows that the yi 360 vr camera is the best for the price.

Yi also makes a Halo 360 camera for $17,000 - not ready for that yet.

Alan
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
I have this camera - after much research came to same conclusion as you - that for the cost / video quality was the best available, (for consumer level rather than professional use) Also the early users who had it before general UK release very positive.

Very early days - bit of test footage; mostly in poor light so possibly not the best conditions; but been able to edit in PD without any issues, computer & program seems to handle fine. (I have been filming un-stitched at 5.7k, stitching in the YI Studio programme (batch stitching good as they do take a while to process!) Resulting stitching in my view very impressive.

My main interest was to produce 2D from the 360 footage, (as described by Hatti) tried the object tracking in PD which gives good results; especially if selfi stick etc kept out of view; gives the appearance of remote camera. Not tried the stablization yet as for the test bits done so far not been necessary, but from other users comments it is quite impressive.

There is an active forum on Facebook for the camera, one user already posted an edited 'profile.ini' for PD to give 5.7k output, which was previously not available, look for a post by Sandro Floris posted on 20.12 on the forum.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Yi360VR/

Camera seems to be generally well made & solid, I was also attracted by the removable storage & battery, making it far more useful, especially as battery goes quite quickly when filming, they say about 40mins - difficult to say when doing lots of short clips but probably about right

The manufacturers appear to be releasing firmware updates with new features so appears will develop / improve over time.
Hoping to do more over the Christmas period, get to grips with it properly!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2017 17:05

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have this camera - after much research came to same conclusion as you - that for the cost / video quality was the best available, (for consumer level rather than professional use) Also the early users who had it before general UK release very positive.

Very early days - bit of test footage; mostly in poor light so possibly not the best conditions; but been able to edit in PD without any issues, computer & program seems to handle fine. (I have been filming un-stitched at 5.7k, stitching in the YI Studio programme (batch stitching good as they do take a while to process!) Resulting stitching in my view very impressive.

My main interest was to produce 2D from the 360 footage, (as described by Hatti) tried the object tracking in PD which gives good results; especially if selfi stick etc kept out of view; gives the appearance of remote camera. Not tried the stablization yet as for the test bits done so far not been necessary, but from other users comments it is quite impressive.

There is an active forum on Facebook for the camera, one user already posted an edited 'profile.ini' for PD to give 5.7k output, which was previously not available, look for a post by Sandro Floris posted on 20.12 on the forum.

Camera seems to be generally well made & solid, I was also attracted by the removable storage & battery, making it far more useful, especially as battery goes quite quickly when filming, they say about 40mins - difficult to say when doing lots of short clips but probably about right

The manufacturers appear to be releasing firmware updates with new features so appears will develop / improve over time.

This was good input!!

I asked Yi if they were plannning at least USB3 for transferring the files. It is 10 times faster the USB2. Have not heard anything yet.

Thanks for the great response. Looks like I will give it a go.

Alan
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have this camera - after much research came to same conclusion as you - that for the cost / video quality was the best available, (for consumer level rather than professional use) Also the early users who had it before general UK release very positive.

Now that you have the camera- can you tell if the USB connection is a 2.0 or 3.1?

Can't get a straight answer from Wi.

3.1 would be 10 times faster than the 2.0 version.

Thanks,
Alan
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Possibly due to a problem with my unit (have a question on the Facebook group about it) the USB port on mine only seems to function as a charging port - when I connect to the PC I get a brief message flash up about some sort of error / incompatabilty then nothing, does not show in file explorer as a drive, just starts charging.
As I tend to take the card out and put into a USB3 card reader does not create a problem for me, but would like to establish if this is how it should be or not, normally would expect a USB connection to show up as a drive when connected to a PC? Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Possibly due to a problem with my unit (have a question on the Facebook group about it) the USB port on mine only seems to function as a charging port - when I connect to the PC I get a brief message flash up about some sort of error / incompatabilty then nothing, does not show in file explorer as a drive, just starts charging.
As I tend to take the card out and put into a USB3 card reader does not create a problem for me, but would like to establish if this is how it should be or not, normally would expect a USB connection to show up as a drive when connected to a PC?

Yi does not make it clear about their USB port.
They apparently want you to take out the microsd card and put it in a reader. The reader could be a 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1. I guess that would work. Then what is the purpose of the USB port on the camera. Just for charging?
Here is a link to the explanation of USB types:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

Alan