Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Having trouble capturing VHS
KarenKut123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2017 15:57 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Please help! I have Power Director 12 and have been trying to capture my old VHS tapes. The audio comes through, but there is no video. I am a real novice with this software, as I only bought it to transfer my VHS home movies to dvds. I even tried using EZ Grabber, but I cannot figure out how that works. Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Please help! I have Power Director 12 and have been trying to capture my old VHS tapes. The audio comes through, but there is no video. I am a real novice with this software, as I only bought it to transfer my VHS home movies to dvds. I even tried using EZ Grabber, but I cannot figure out how that works. Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance!

To capture VHS, you need to connect an Analog to Digtal (A/D) converter to the output jacks on the back of your VHS player.
The A/D converter like EZ Grabber is required. It had special drivers for the device. Did you install the drivers according to the instructions? If not, you have to remove the drivers that Windows installed and then install the ones to the device.
If you have a laptop, use any USB port on the other end of the A/D device. If youi have a desktop, uses the USB jacks on the back of the computer. If you are out of the US, you need a SCART connector to match the plugs.
Read. read, read the directions for the EZGrabber.
If the VHS tapes are old, damaged, or otherwize not in great condition, there will be problems. You can try connecting a TV to the EZGrabber to check the connections.
Perhaps you can find a tutorial (watch some of these) or other video on how to do this since a step by step guide would be both redundant to what you alreay have and would be a major task to complete.
If you have a particular question with capturing issues, post back.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2017 16:29

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like EZGrabber is not the best of A/D converters. Look at these videos. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
KarenKut123:
Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I have used many versions of PD (since Version 9) and I never found the versions capable of doing a respectable job capturing VHS video and converting it to digital, particularly when there is video noise on the source VHS tape, which PD tends to interpret as copyright protection, and then aborts the capture.
I purchased another software package, with a hardware converter, that has worked flawlessly for years on hundreds of VHS tapes. The software, and device, output the VHS tapes in .mpg2 format, which you then import directly into PD for editing.
Forum rules prohibit mentioning potentially competing products, but if you send me a Private Message, I will pass on the information about the product that I have been using.
Have a great day.
Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
KarenKut123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2017 15:57 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Please help! I have Power Director 12 and have been trying to capture my old VHS tapes. The audio comes through, but there is no video. I am a real novice with this software, as I only bought it to transfer my VHS home movies to dvds. I even tried using EZ Grabber, but I cannot figure out how that works. Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the input and help! The EZ Grabber did not come with instructions, nor was there a "help" icon for more info. First, I went online and watched some videos. They didn't help. So, I just started googling every term that I was not familiar with (e.g. PAL, VCD). Then, I went back to the EZ Grabber and just started playing with it and finally got it to capture my video. Whew! It took a while, but got it to work.