Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Semicolons in timeline
[Post New]
What alien creature designed semicolons into the timetine? If anything, use the universal, international, standard colon or, better yet, a single dot (period, full stop). Semicolons (03;24;02;12) are not only bizarre but incredibly noisy - especially in the tight space provided for the timeline. The universal, international, standard time display would be 03:24:02:12, which is still noisy but at least familiar to humans living on Earth. Far better to display time as 03.24.02.12
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
I think 03.24.02.12 looks more like a date. But I agree the ; is alien.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2017 20:50

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

It is not alien, it's a common way to signify that the project is using drop frame timecode for NTSC video:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode#Drop_frame_timecode

If you don't like it, just go to General preferences and switch to non-drop timecode.

Dave

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2017 01:19

[Post New]
Quote Hello,

It is not alien, it's a common way to signify that the project is using drop frame timecode for NTSC video:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode#Drop_frame_timecode

If you don't like it, just go to General preferences and switch to non-drop timecode.

Dave

Many thanks for this info. Interestingly, the article you referenced has the following section:

"While non-drop timecode is displayed with colons separating the digit pairs—"HH:MM:SS:FF"—drop frame is usually represented with a semi-colon ( or period (.) as the divider between all the digit pairs—"HH;MM;SS;FF", "HH.MM.SS.FF"—or just between the seconds and frames—"HH:MM:SS;FF" or "HH:MM:SS.FF". The period is usually used on VTRs and other devices that don't have the ability to display a semi-colon."

From a design perspective, I'm surprised anyone would use a semicolon when a period (.) is available. With increasingly sophisticated graphics often shrunk into smaller spaces, noise is the enemy of functionality. Every redundant pixel should be removed. I'd recommend to Cyberlink that the next version of PowerDirector switch to periods from semicolons.

BTW, cool icon (and well designed). CF-104 Starfighter?

I've never figured out why my icon looks like crap on some websites (this one, for example).
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]

From a design perspective, I'm surprised anyone would use a semicolon when a period (.) is available.

Hi,

Well...because it was a decision made by an engineer I am sure, not a graphic artist type of designer. So not suprising

Thanks...you are close. The logo is based on the Royal Canadian Air Force's logo (a tribute to them). It is for the NHL hockey team in my hometown, i.e. the Winnipeg Jets.

Dave