Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help required
tim321 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: nottingham Joined: Jan 19, 2016 09:39 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
For many years now I have been trying to convert my old vhs collection on to DVD, having eventually achieved this I would like to edit, enchance ,upscale these old videos into some kind of watchable format. Having used powerdirector13 to moderate effect im dissappointed with the results I keep getting. I here good things about coloudirector, is that the answer to acheiving better results or do I go for the latest PD16 (will my machine cope with PD16) or do I use another software package.

Any advice or help would be gratfully received,

Have a good week

Open lobby or message me please anyone who can help

Tim

PC specs ASUSTEK Intel core i3-4130 3.4GHZ 4gb memory operating x64 based processor run windows 10
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Re: Power Director 16 - answered in your other thread.

Color Director will NOT improve those old VHS tapes to any satisfactory amount in this case.

The major issue is the capture of the VHS and not the editing. How/what are you using to capture and what format. Does your computer have the hard drive space for AVI files? There are non-compressed and may be slightly better than mpg2. Mpg2 are compressed and will stress your computer more but that is the format that video is on a standard definition DVD.

Have you thought about a VHS player with a disc burner built in? That would be the best capture; you can always edit the videos from them. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
i'm sorry to inform you that bottom line up front(bluf) is wysiwyg with gigo!

you can use PD fix/enhance in the workspace for minor improvements to the original or captured videos but in the end CD isn't what you're seeking or looking for or an upgrade to any PD.

what i've used is Panasonic DMR-E85H. panny will not let you record copyrighted VHS, S-VHS, Beta, Super Beta, ED-Beta, 8mm, Hi8, Di8, etc... it'll record to the built in HD and can do some minor editing before burning to a DvD-R or DvD-Ram.

then you can transfer to PD for further enhancements and fixes. even this alternative, differences is minimal tipping to Panny.

good news is somehow you're able to save analog memories to digital! most of my Beta tapes are NON-salvageable and sony vcrs are collecting dust...

it's a hollywood digital trickery led you to believe anything is possible when it's not. you can't fill the void with something that wasn't there in the beginning...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2017 15:13

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
My advice: Don't do it. VHS has no good quality. With older Tube TV, the quality was acceptable but with a new FullHD or even better flat screen, you will be disappointed. Just convert the VHS tapes, that are precious to you to DVD and forget the rest (first steps of children ors something the like). There is not enough information in a VHS tape to get good results, and you cannot put more information in it. Not with ColorDirector and not with PowerDirector.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
tim321 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: nottingham Joined: Jan 19, 2016 09:39 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your help guys, having tried various methods I ended using a Funai VHS/DVD recorder in the end so they all ended up on DVD.

Its my own collection of football games, live highlights which will probably never be shown again. Which I like to watch & reminse, so there is quite a lot of DVDS.

Im just disappointed with watching them on a new tv, im surprised that no software progamme as come up with a way of upscaling old vhs recordings. Its not that im asking for full ultrahdd or what ever they come up with next, just a decent watch. I have heard mention of compressing the picture with to black edges may make a difference, but whats the best way of doing that on pd13.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks for the advice so far, saved me wasting cash, need that for christmas.

Tim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2017 15:39