Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 7.3.5105 doesn't work for me
Brian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2009 19:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
After inserting the Bluray disk "The Day the Earth Stood Still", PowerDVD 7.3 informed me that it needed to be updated. After installing that update, I can no longer play Bluray disks. The disks I've tried seem to play for about 10 seconds and then the video halts. I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1 64 bit and using an LG GBC-H20L Bluray drive. I believe that the version of PowerDVD that was working for me was 4617, but am not certain. Any suggestions?

Edit: There is no audio when I try to play a BD with 7.3.5105. Audio seems fine with 7.3.4617.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2009 21:50

Richie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2009 22:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have same drive too and there is no updates for drive either as far as I can tell. The original drivers for powerdvd have worked for a few months that I recieved when I bought the drive. I just got the same movie your talking about and asked me to update to the newest drivers which I have done before btw, just to find out it would freeze the program for any blueray I put into the drive and not work. The drivers with the drive work fine and never any issues. Now with newer blue rays coming out, will probably have to have newer versions of software and powerdvd hasn't updated to a version that will work imo, unless it's only a Vista 64 bit problem, which it is now 4 months later. I really really wanted to see The day the Earth Stood Still again on blueray after seeing it in theaters. /sigh
[Post New]
I just bought the same movie too. I am also having the same problem. I use XP Pro 32 bit. So do i uninstall and start over?
[Post New]
This was written at the bottom of the DL

Warning: Please note that if you decline to update your software, you may not be able to watch Blu-ray Disc movie titles.
[Post New]
Brian,

I just upgraded last week and have the exact same issue after popping in "The Day the Earth Stood Still". I spoke with LG as they are the ones who provided Cyberlink Power DVD 7 and they think that it's a Cyberlink issue. I was suggested to check the forums, knowledgebase and if necessary contact them. They feel that the issue has nothing to do with there player or firmware.

First, I popped the BluRay DVD into my PS3 just to find out that its drive won't load any of my games, DVD's or BluRays. The LG was supposed to be a back up.

This is so frustrating that I'm having trouble with both and worse, I can't call Cyberlink for phone support without paying for it?! I haven't had the software for over a year yet.

Hopefully, I'll find my answer here in the forums and if not, I'll send Cyberlink an e-mail. However for future software purchases, Cyberlink is not an ideal choice.
Brian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2009 19:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
The update 5105 could not play any Blu-ray disk I tried. So I downloaded the old 4617 installer on the downloads page and reinstalled that. That build seems to still work for older titles but will not play "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (and other recent titles I suspect). I'm not sure what is going on here, but I'm guessing that it has something to do with an update to copy protection *rant on* which hackers have probably already cracked leaving only us legitimate users unable to play our movies. *rant off*
[Post New]
Brian,

I forgot to mention that. I tried an older BluRay title after the update and it did not work for me as well. I was considering rolling back but I figured I'd keep looking for an answer through the forums first and then send an e-mail directly to Cyberlink.

Hopefully we'll find the answer soon.

James [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2009 23:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem with Sleeping Beauty Blu Ray. I got the same 'update your software' message described above. I downloaded and installed it. Now my player gets about 2 seconds into the movie and RESTARTS THE SYSTEM. I'm running Windows XP 64. Please... Anyone... Help!
[Post New]
I was sent a Email that stated

"Thank you for using CyberLink Blu-ray/HD DVD Players Update Center.
We will release the update file of your bundled version of PowerDVD.
Please wait for few days."

So i guess we might get fixed soon. If you get the update please post about it....
freesky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2007 00:15 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
The so called PowerDVD 7.3.5105 update turns off the "Bonus View" and "BD Live" features.

Also, NO "DTS-HD" or "DTS" features is present. All my Blu-Ray "DTS-HD" disc do not play or can't hear audio.

All I get is "Dolby True HD" or "Digital Plus" and "Dolby Digital".
[Post New]
I'm still waiting for a response. I'm using Power DVD version 7.03.5113.

Are they supposed to respond in 24 hours or 24 - 48 hours?

This seems like a pretty important issue as people cannot view new titles, right?
[Post New]
Still no update
Elst [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England, UK. Joined: Dec 26, 2008 04:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Guys,

I share your pain.

I just do not understand Cyberlink at all. There's an old saying where I come from: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Patches and upgrades, surely, are supposed to be tested before they're released, right? The '5105 patch doesn't work for me and to be honest this is the last straw.

From experience I can tell you that you're on a hiding to nothing if you're expecting any quick resolutions from this outfit. They are notoriously poor at helping us poor folk resolve what should be minor issues.

Good luck...you're gonna need it!

Elst.
Anthony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 31, 2009 02:58 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
To add to the list I am having the same issue with the 5105 patch, I been trying to watch Taken blu ray. Before i install the 5105 everything works fine, but if i install it the player crashes everytime I try to press play; I tried installing it on my other system which is XP rather than Vista and different hardware specs (nvidia and ATI) same thing happens I think the 5105 is just defective.
[Post New]
Unfortunately, there is still no fix to this issue. I've been trying to get this issue cleared up since early April as well as many others in the forum. I've sent messages to Cyberlink support only to get a response a week apart. In the end, I'm told that the developers know of the issue and I have to wait and check for the latest updates for a fix.

In general, BluRay is pissing me off. First, it was the standard DVD's not working on some older DVD players (sometimes a month old), now it's the BluRays with there constant updates and now software manufacturers having to keep up with them. It's too frustrating!

In the end, I'm going to have to agree with Elst but I think it should also be kept in mind that because of BluRay's constant updates, we may find ourselves forced to upgrade our software products to play newer BluRay's in the future.
Doug [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2009 03:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Don't know if anyone reads these older posts or not, but for what it's worth, you guy's should feel lucky. At least you've been able to watch a movie or two using this program. I'm on my 6th install and still can't get this @%^&%#$%^ thing to play ANY movie or ANY movie format be it DVD or hi-def!!! THANK YOU HOLLYWOOD AND YOUR GREEDY USELESS LAWYERS FOR MAKING IT IMPOSSABLE FOR US TO WATCH THE MOVIES WE BUY FROM YOU!!! (Maybe we should stop buying them....)
[Post New]
Are there any updates to this issue? From time to time, I come across some BluRay titles which work however it's extremely frustrating when nothing works.