Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 7 Ultra problem with 50i an 50p resolutions
[Post New]
Hi !

I have Samsung HD videocamera and it has recording resolutions also in HD 50i and SD 50p.

If I import the files, recorded with 50i or 50p resolution and I want to add them to timeline, I get this warning message : "Your project contains one or more videoclips whose TV format is different from your Preferences setting. CYberlink Power Director will convert the clip, but the resulting video quality may be degraded"

And yes, the video quality will be much worse than quality of the original (brightness or shininess of colours drop down).

The problem is - there is no way to set the propertis to 50p/50i !!!
Only resolutions to choose are PAL (25 frames) and NTCS (30 frames).

But I want to use the 50i format, because it is much better than 25p !

Any help ?
[Post New]
Hi Tommy,
What format are the files? Mpeg4/AVCHD or Mpeg2? When you say SD do you mean 576p? (which I believe was coined "ED" for extended definition).

Anyway the frame rate is generally more important when using mixed media so the final product should still be OK once rendered at 1080i(50Hz). Have you tried rendering the project yet?
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pjc,

When you say mixed media are you referring to 25 fps and 29.97 fps (mixing PAL video with NTSC)? I'll be making a wedding video this summer with three cameras. One of the cameras is an old Hi8 while the other is my new Cannon HG20. Have you tried making a project combining high definition and standard definition?

Jim Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
hei !

The files are mpeg4 high definition 1080/50i and 576/50p for SD (standard definition).

I do not want to use mixed media. I only use one or other. Mostly 1080/50i.
But Power Director 7 ultra does not allow to use them as-is, because it only recognises 25p and 30p (Standard TV pal or secam) clips, not full HD
[Post New]
Tommy,
It sounds like you have your preference as NTSC.

Powerdirector has no problems handling mpeg4 50i

press AltC
general tab
TV format should = PAL
[Post New]
Quote: Hi pjc,

When you say mixed media are you referring to 25 fps and 29.97 fps (mixing PAL video with NTSC)? I'll be making a wedding video this summer with three cameras. One of the cameras is an old Hi8 while the other is my new Cannon HG20. Have you tried making a project combining high definition and standard definition?

Jim

Have combined resolutions without any problems. It is just the frame rate conversion which stuff it up if you mix 30fps and 25fps. Mind you it is really only very noticeable on panning shots.
[Post New]
Quote: Tommy,
It sounds like you have your preference as NTSC.

Powerdirector has no problems handling mpeg4 50i

press AltC
general tab
TV format should = PAL

Mope - the setting is Pal. I ´ve also tried with NTSC, but with both setting I get the same message. Yes, it handles 50i, but before it gives the warning message and then coverts the file. Due to that the brightness of colours will be lost and if compared to original file, the overall quality is a lot worse.
[Post New]
Hi Tommy,

What is the model no of the camera? I might be able to find & download a test file and see if I have the problem.
Or if you have a share account you could post a short clip to download.
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Tommy,

What is the model no of the camera? I might be able to find & download a test file and see if I have the problem.
Or if you have a share account you could post a short clip to download.

Hi !

The camera is Samsung VP-HMX20C. Funny thing is, that Power Director was included in the package of the camera. It was version 6 OEM so I bought the Power director 7 Ultra.
marek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 04:08 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tommy
I also have the Samsung HMX20c .
Problems with files from this camera are because of Power director doesn't fully support this kind of MPEG4 encryption.
I have written many questions and suggestions here at forum but only thing I figured out is :
1) if I am working with SD resolution - Power director is able to edit it good and if I produce it into MPEG2 file - it looks fine

2)when I am working with HD resolution I have to convert Samsungs MPEG4 files into MPEG2 format (1920x1080, 25fps, 30000kbps, with some profi converting sw)

Then Power director can edit and produce it very good.

When I was trying to edit HD MPEG4 files directly in PD7 it looked very bad.

I also sent one file from camera to Daffyd for exploring where in PD is a foul. But I haven't receive any info.

Marek
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Tommy
I also have the Samsung HMX20c .
Problems with files from this camera are because of Power director doesn't fully support this kind of MPEG4 encryption.

That´s strange because Samsung gives Power Director 6 OEM along with the camera !

Marek - where are You from ?

[Post New]
There is one more thing I found !
I use Nvidia Geforce 6600 video card (265 MB ram) and it shows up in the list of graphic cards that support Nvidia Pure Video. NVIDIA PureVideo provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, WMV/VC-1 and MPEG-4 HD and SD videos with minimal CPU usage.

The point is - it´s not included ! You mus buy it separately. Fortunally they have a trial version for download, so I will try it tomorrow.

As they say in Pure Video homepage :
Popular video editing and authoring applications like
* Adobe Premiere Elements
* Ulead VideoStudio
* CyberLink PowerDirector (!!)
* Pinnacle Studio
* Sony Vegas Video
support NVIDIA® PureVideo® HD playback.

We´ll see ;

marek [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi
I am from Czech republic.
I know that samsung gives PD6 for free wth the camera but I think the only reason is that this sw is free also for Samsung company so they use it like a bonus.
[Post New]
Marek !

Try to install the Core AVC codec

I did it with my work computer

Intel Celeron 1,6 GHz
512 MB ram
Intel 82945G integrated video
OS Windows XP service pack 3

and the HD video (1080 /25p) runs smoothly and wihtout any errors with this old crappy PC now !
I do not have the Power Director here, but if it supperts this codec - the problem is solved :
[Post New]
That is impressive if that codec can run AVCHD on those specs
marek [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi tommy
I already have Core AVC instaled and there is no improvement on PD.
I try to install Pure video as you mentioned and we will see - maybe it will help.
marek
[Post New]
yes, thats incredible, but the PD 7 still does not accept the 50i/50p files as-is and I still get the warning message.
The problem is, that You can only choose between Pal 25p and NTSC 30P and there is no option to change the settings to 50p/50i
[Post New]
Quote:
The problem is, that You can only choose between Pal 25p and NTSC 30P and there is no option to change the settings to 50p/50i

Tommy,
You are getting a little confused (or more likely you are confusing me : )
PAL and NTSC are SD TV standards which convey the colour information. NTSC runs at 30 FPS interlaced and PAL 25 FPS interlaced. This was due to the bandwidth limitations at the time and the fact with phosphor based screens interlacing worked well.
When you choose PAL or NTSC in PD preferences it will apply the standards to the output when required (eg DVD standards) but will also set the default frame rate to either 25 or 30.
If you have a camera which captures at 50i or 25p, irrespective of the resolution, it is best to select PAL. When you render to AVCHD & MPEG2, PD will automatically use a 25fps rate.
Also PD cannot render to MPEG2 1080/50p only 1080/50i
marek [Avatar]
[Post New]
solution - may be

I tried to edit MPEG4 HD videos from samsung camera in PD7 on hi-end machine (I don't know the specs but it was PC for some kind of showroom)- everything went clear and smooth.

So my decision is that editing of that type of files has extremely high requierements and we just have to wait for having extra powerfull pc .